Sign in to follow this  
Carl Cort

svensson

was it just me or were wba treating him really badly when he came on. they were playing really dirty throughout though.

According to radio 5, where Mark Bright who knows him very well was co-commentating, he was mixing it really well and giving better than he got. Being very subtle and tricky apparently, including getting a free kick when their defender, who was climbing all over him, reacted to him grabbing his crown jewels gazza style!!

I think it''s high time he started.

I think this might be a big part of Svensson''s game- To get fouled! Unlike with Roberts who, when the ball is played up to him in the air, jumps and heads the ball onto the Huckerby or whoever, Svensson seems to stand there and wait for the ball to drop onto his chest so he can control it and run away. If he gets fouled in the process all well and good. Crouch used to do a similar thing, chest it and bring it down, but Crouch had the strength to do it, Svensson doesn''t. I''m just a bit concerned that half the time we won''t get the foul and we''ll lose posesssion

I agree to a point DD, but look at the ratio of fouls committed to free kicks awarded and compare Roberts with Svensson. Sven gets the free kick in his favour more often than not, while Iwan is the one penalised on most occasions! I think Svensson gives us something extra, as we clearly played better when he came on. Mind you, this did sort of coincide with We Love You moving back to the left hand side........

I think Svensson will prove to be a very good signing in the long term, as he already has top flight experience.

I thought WBA were a disgrace last night. I never knew that fouling was an intrinsic part of their game. If they go up at the end of the season, they''re coming down faster than wolves. I thought when Svensson came on, he showed a fair bit of commintment, but just looked faster, sharper, and altogether better than big Iwan. I reckon it''s time for him to start against the binners of sunday, sitting just behind hucks/mackenzie in a 4-3-1-2 formation. With the binners woeful defense, we''d have as good a chance as any to send them back to ips*** firmly put in their non-premiership-bound place.

Svensson has come on in the last two home games and has made a positive impact in both. To suggest the main part of his game is to get fouled is ridiculous, his link up play was exceptional and he got Gaardsoe completely off his game and was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty. I think NW should start with him from now on and I think the likes of Santos will be far more concerned seeing his name in the line up rather than Iwan on Sunday.

OTBC

Agree Louie - he brings more players into the game than Iwan who just looks for the knock on or the easy lay off. Effective sometime but Svensson opens the game up more and pulls the strings up front. He had the binners in all sorts of trouble at their place so i''d like to see him given the chance to do it again.

Svensson is a must to start against the scum. Roberts was very in-effective. He has speed and skill which will stand us in good stead for sundays crunch game. McVeigh was back to his usual self when he returned to the left. I hope McKenzie gets more than 3mins against Ipsh*t.
Lets tear them apart. If Akinbyi can i''m sure Hucks can.

I thought Svensson looked sharp too. The Albion defenders hated his quick moves
off the ball so they kept fouling him. Hucks was brought more into the game when he came on.
Albion are just a tough team, brute force won''t get them anywhere in the Premiership.

Svensson was amazing - wba players even resorted to headlocking to ''control'' him! He really should start against ipswich. Roberts - we love you but your time is over now... and it pains me to say that.

Svensson has shown in the last couple of games that he has the class to do well in this league. We need a target man who is also mobile and Templetons point about Iwans fouls committed ratio has bugged me since the end of last season; conceeding possession as he is more concerned about letting the defenders know he is there when unable to win the ball fairly. There really is no comparison between Iwan & Sven and I am assuming that the only reason Iwan continues to start is Sven lacks match fitness to last a whole game. In whih case I would start Sven and bring on Iwan fresher against tiring defenders - well that would make sense to me anyway.

And his record is pretty good; a max 9 points in the games he has started and the club has conceeded no goals whilst he has been on the pitch - sorry 1st Wizard didn''t mean to upset you!

OTBC