Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

If, if, if we get back to the Premiership, what then?

Outside of the top 6-8 clubs whose approach and model do you think would give us the best chance of sustained success?

I''m currently watching the Man City vs Wigan match. We''re told by the commentators that the 2 teams between them started out with only 3 Englishmen on the pitch - Bramble, Adam Johnson (what potential that lad has) and Wright-Phillips. 19 out of 22 are foreigners plus both managers.

Would a Wigan-style Norwich fill Carrow Road every week?

No? Then what about Stoke? Birmingham? Portsmouth? Hull? Bolton? Wolves? West Ham? Blackburn? Burnley? ???????????

Personally I think that it would be useful to look at what Birmingham and West Brom have been doing in recent years.

But we did it our way for the best part of 25 years before. Who''s to say we can''t find our own way again?

Hmmm....

OTBC

If you look at many of the recent arrivals in the premier league, or championship play offs, they were in League 1 not long ago

Hull

Wigan

Swansea

Leicester

Forest

Gives us hope!

The current Wigan probably aren''t the best example. Maybe more so Paul Jewells promotion side would be a closer link. Stoke and Hull seem to have a fairly good British base of players.. Man City are obviously another extreme.I quite liked our last Premiership squad if I''m honest!

We should do it our way.  And yes, why not challenge at the top of the league?  Obviously the money that some of the teams have at their disposal will be very difficullt to compete against and also holding on to our best players will be tricky too.  If one of players has an excellent season in the prem, one of the top sides will be interested in them.  I''m having a moment of deja vu re the Chase era.  Could we challenge at the top of the league regularly, could we hold on to our best players?  It would probably be more difficult now to do these things than during Chase''s reign.

If we are looking at current sides, I certainly think we could not go too far wrong from following Fulham.  Although it could be argued that a lot of their success is due to Roy Hodgson, rather than the way the club is run.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Get Neil Doncaster back....[/quote]

Yeah, it''s all down to him following the ''Charlton model'' too closely that we find ourselves where we are.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Get Neil Doncaster back....[/quote]

Yeah, it''s all down to him following the ''Charlton model'' too closely that we find ourselves where we are.

[/quote]

Really? Who appointed him then?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Outside of the top 6-8 clubs whose approach and model do you think would give us the best chance of sustained success?

I''m currently watching the Man City vs Wigan match. We''re told by the commentators that the 2 teams between them started out with only 3 Englishmen on the pitch - Bramble, Adam Johnson (what potential that lad has) and Wright-Phillips. 19 out of 22 are foreigners plus both managers.

Would a Wigan-style Norwich fill Carrow Road every week?

No? Then what about Stoke? Birmingham? Portsmouth? Hull? Bolton? Wolves? West Ham? Blackburn? Burnley? ???????????

Personally I think that it would be useful to look at what Birmingham and West Brom have been doing in recent years.

But we did it our way for the best part of 25 years before. Who''s to say we can''t find our own way again?

Hmmm....

OTBC

[/quote]

Then problem, as ever, would be money. When the likes of Ridgewell at Birmingham and Cahill at Bolton are pulling £20-30,000 per week and goalscorers are on double that, a squad of 20 players costs you £35-40m a season. Add in all the coaches, manager, backroom and you see how easily you get up to the £50 odd million that most Premiership clubs spend. To be honest, I can''t see us ever competing at the top of the Premiership again unless they do something to level the field, which I can''t see happening. The fact that we had the 7th largest crowd at the weekend is no longer relevant.

When we challenged in the late 1980''s and early 1990''s players left us for a little more money but mainly for a crack at trophies. Now, they just go to the highest bidder. Can you honestly see Chris Martin or Korey Smith turning down £30k a week at a Hull or a Burnley? I can''t. Unless we get lucky with a team who all have the Darren Huckerby attitude to life.....!

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Win it!
[/quote]

Okkaaayyyy.......

And what then?

OTBC

[/quote]

We celebrate! [B][B][B]

[/quote]

Okkaaayyyy.....

And then what?

OTBC

has anybody else noticed that we have literally been copying Leicester City in terms of what they have been doing but we are a year behind them. I believe they went down from the prem the season before we did, then pretty much struggled in the championship every season for four years before they went down in 2008. We basically struggled aswell for four years after we went down from the premiership and we went down last year a year later than they did while they won the league one title. Now we appear to be doing the same and they are now in with a shout of getting into the playoffs. We seemed to have copied them for the last few seasons lets hope we can do so next season hey!

[quote user="ncfc4life"]has anybody else noticed that we have literally been copying Leicester City in terms of what they have been doing but we are a year behind them. I believe they went down from the prem the season before we did, then pretty much struggled in the championship every season for four years before they went down in 2008. We basically struggled aswell for four years after we went down from the premiership and we went down last year a year later than they did while they won the league one title. Now we appear to be doing the same and they are now in with a shout of getting into the playoffs. We seemed to have copied them for the last few seasons lets hope we can do so next season hey!
[/quote]

Yes, I''d prefer if we could do a wee bit better!

OTBC