Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Lets hope Manure wont beat Bayern Munich tonight!

Just reminded me on ssn that we are the only english team to beat bayern munich in Germany and obviously Manure are playing them tonight so hopefuly Bayern will win and were still the only english team to beat them in germany. Although they still cant take away the that we were the only english team to beat them in the olympic stadium!

I have a feeling Man United will win this one, other teams have come close in recent years and our record can''t last forever so expect Man United to win tonight.

I think Chelsea beat them a few years ago in Munich, but that was at the Allianz Arena. We are the only English club to beat Bayern at their Olympic Stadium

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]I have a feeling Man United will win this one, other teams have come close in recent years and our record can''t last forever so expect Man United to win tonight.[/quote]

Yes but what ever, happens we will still be known as the first british team to beat them at thier home ground, so in effect the record will still stand

Really? I thought we were the last English team to beat Munich away in any stadium in Europe. I think the game your thinking about was a draw 3 years back.

[quote user="leedscanary"]

Maybe Bayern will be intimidated by all the Norwich scarfs tonight and think back to their only defeat on home soil!

[/quote]

LOL superb [:D]

Maybe Bayern will be intimidated by all the Norwich scarfs tonight and think back to their only defeat on home soil!

[/quote]

Yes forgot those scalfs lol, mine gott in himmel

[quote user="Iceland_Canary"]I think Chelsea beat them a few years ago in Munich, but that was at the Allianz Arena. We are the only English club to beat Bayern at their Olympic Stadium[/quote]Seem to think that ended a draw through a late Munich equaliser. Pretty sure there hasnt been a victory.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Iceland_Canary"]I think Chelsea beat them a few years ago in Munich, but that was at the Allianz Arena. We are the only English club to beat Bayern at their Olympic Stadium[/quote]

Seem to think that ended a draw through a late Munich equaliser. Pretty sure there hasnt been a victory.
[/quote]

That''s correct. We are definitely still the only English club to have beaten Bayern Munich in Germany. Obviously other English clubs have beaten them elsewhere in Europe - Man Utd in the Champions League final in 1999 in Barcelona is the example I can think of but none have beaten them on German soil. I hope that record continues!

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]I have a feeling Man United will win this one, other teams have come close in recent years and our record can''t last forever so expect Man United to win tonight.[/quote]

Yes but what ever, happens we will still be known as the first british team to beat them at thier home ground, so in effect the record will still stand

[/quote]

We were the First ENGLISH Tean to win at the Olympic Stadium - I believe that Dundee United or Aberdeen had already won there , so we weren;t the first British team

Indeed.  I felt a surge of pride this morning when our record was mentioned on Talksport, and for that reason I''ll be supporting Bayern tonight.  

I am at a loss the comprehend why anyone, a football supporter too, would want an English team to lose against foreign opposition in such a prestigious tournament.

I am certainly no supporter of Man. U at home. In European  competitions I support them, and the others , to the hilt.

Maybe with the exception of one team, whose name begins with "I".

I take it that you would prefer Spaniards or Italians or even Germans to dance the night away with the trophy.

Nothing against these people. I am talking football.

[quote]I take it that you would prefer Spaniards or Italians or even Germans

to dance the night away with the trophy.[/quote]Yeah, it would be a real shame if they stopped all the Englishmen from winning it...Man Utds team vs Bolton on Sunday :    * 01 Van der Sar - Holland    * 02 Neville - English    * 03 Evra - French    * 15 Vidic - Serbian    * 23 Evans - N. Ireland    * 11 Giggs - Wales (Macheda - Italian 84)    * 17 Nani - Portugese    * 18 Scholes - English (Carrick - English 74)    * 24 Fletcher - Scottish (Gibson - N. Irish 80)    * 25 Valencia - Ecuadorian    * 09 Berbatov - BulgarianOh.

I''m with you BroadstairsR, except for

"Maybe with the exception of one team, whose name begins with "I"."

Where I''d hope Ipswich reached the semi-finals, in the hope the cup run would damage their league position, but only to the semi''s as I wouldn''t want them to be close to winning it!:)

Speaking for myself only, it is a Manchester United thing.  The dominance it has over English football and they way it has exercised that dominance to accrue more wealth to itself has been very damaging to football.   That plus the repellant nature of the manager and many of the fans leads me to an invincible repugnance against Man Utd winning anywhere ever.   I just want the schadenfraude of their failure whether at Bayern or in a preseason friendly here.

I have no problem watching Arsenal succeed though I am indifferent to Chelsea''s performance

I do not think that being English compells me to support Englishness come what may.  Until recently, European sides had much better skill levels and deserved to win.  The gap has narrowed due to the foreign players in English teams as the average skill of English players is still less than many other nations.

Why shouldn''t Barcelona or Bayern win if they are the best team?   Would I rather see a poor physical English side beat a more skilled European side?  No.   Would I have wanted to miss the great Ajax or Milan teams?  No.   Great teams and great players showing skill and imagination are good for football.  Where ever they come from.

Also, a failure at European level of Man Utd. amy lead to a more realsistic assessment of England''s world cup propspects and therefore less hysteria before hand and less anguish when the wheels come off against a half decent country whose players can kick with both feet and pass to each other (two skills apparently optional amongst English players eevn at international level).  Somehow though, I doubt it.

Yeah but they don''t want to Broadstairs. Give em the opportunity to sod off to a European super league and they''d probably take it in a heartbeat. I hate Man United and will never cheer them on. I''m not overly that fussed if they represent the English leagues. I don''t really have interest in the competition. I still find it a joke that it''s called the Champions League when, in our country alone, the forth place team is allowed to enter. (In my opinion) they made it a farce when they changed the format. Don''t worry though, I''m sure I''ll show an interest if we were to ever get there. (lifts eyes to the sky dreaming of a trip to Europe)

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Speaking for myself only, it is a Manchester United thing.  The dominance it has over English football and they way it has exercised that dominance to accrue more wealth to itself has been very damaging to football.   That plus the repellant nature of the manager and many of the fans leads me to an invincible repugnance against Man Utd winning anywhere ever.   I just want the schadenfraude of their failure whether at Bayern or in a preseason friendly here.

I have no problem watching Arsenal succeed though I am indifferent to Chelsea''s performance

I do not think that being English compells me to support Englishness come what may.  Until recently, European sides had much better skill levels and deserved to win.  The gap has narrowed due to the foreign players in English teams as the average skill of English players is still less than many other nations.

Why shouldn''t Barcelona or Bayern win if they are the best team?   Would I rather see a poor physical English side beat a more skilled European side?  No.   Would I have wanted to miss the great Ajax or Milan teams?  No.   Great teams and great players showing skill and imagination are good for football.  Where ever they come from.

Also, a failure at European level of Man Utd. amy lead to a more realsistic assessment of England''s world cup propspects and therefore less hysteria before hand and less anguish when the wheels come off against a half decent country whose players can kick with both feet and pass to each other (two skills apparently optional amongst English players eevn at international level).  Somehow though, I doubt it.

[/quote]

I with you on this one. I''m not going to support a club just because they are English. I can''t stand Man Utd nor can I stand Chelsea. Arsenal however is a different matter as I love the football they play.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Yeah but they don''t want to Broadstairs. Give em the opportunity to sod off to a European super league and they''d probably take it in a heartbeat. I hate Man United and will never cheer them on. I''m not overly that fussed if they represent the English leagues. I don''t really have interest in the competition. I still find it a joke that it''s called the Champions League when, in our country alone, the forth place team is allowed to enter. (In my opinion) they made it a farce when they changed the format. Don''t worry though, I''m sure I''ll show an interest if we were to ever get there. (lifts eyes to the sky dreaming of a trip to Europe)[/quote]

There is of course a u in fourth but good old lack of edit button never fails :)

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I am at a loss the comprehend why anyone, a football supporter too, would want an English team to lose against foreign opposition in such a prestigious tournament.

I am certainly no supporter of Man. U at home. In European  competitions I support them, and the others , to the hilt.

I take it that you would prefer Spaniards or Italians or even Germans to dance the night away with the trophy.

[/quote]

I agree, and I am only supporting Bayern in this first leg for selfish reasons. Normally, I''m always behind British teams in Europe, and for sure I will be supporting Manure in the second leg.  

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

I agree, and I am only supporting Bayern in this first leg for selfish reasons. Normally, I''m always behind British teams in Europe, and for sure I will be supporting Manure in the second leg.  

I always support English teams in European competitions because I find those tournaments more interesting with English clubs still in them. Saying that I don''t want United to win tonight for obvious reasons.

BlahBlah.. Yes , but Man. U and Chelsea etc. are not alone in employing foreign players. The Spaniards and Italians rely on South American footballers eg. Messi. Ronaldo is not Spanish. They seem desperate to land Gerrard recently as well.  German and Russian sides recruit them from Eastern Europe amongst other places.. There have even been a few English players in the Italian league eg. Gazza, Platt. Where did Linekar go to? Was it Barcelona? Africa has also become a happy hunting ground for the top European clubs in recent years.

Even one of our star players is an Irishman with a Scandanavian(?) in defence. 

It''s the way of football nowadays.

You cannot therefore say that any of the top Champions League clubs succeed without foreign imports.

We were quite late with our use of  foreign talent. I believe Italy led the way with  John Charles many years ago.

None the less, like them or not, Man. U are ambassadors for the English game.

As I said, I am no fan. I do not like Ferguson or their influence on the English game. I remain a supporter in Euro. competition.

I don''t want Manure to win although if they do it would be a nice coincedence that the only teams to beat Bayern both sets of fans wore the Yellow and Green!

I used to be the same. I used to support Manure and Chelski in Europe because they were English up until the Man U and Chelski final a couple of years ago. It was a boring dour affair where the one moment of excitement came from Jon Terry falling over. They already play matches that get hyped up twice a year and rarely live up to expectations why would I want to see them in yet another final together?

I like the fact that Chelsea and Liverpool have both been knocked out this year as I watch European football to watch English teams take on European teams not to play each other yet again. In last years competition I supported Barcelona because they were playing the best football by far. Sure Chelsea fans will moan about the Ref but what they seem to forget is they were very lucky in the first leg not to loose by 4 or 5 before they got back to the Bridge and continued their brand of anti-football.

This year for me I will be watching the Barcelona V Arsenal match as a neutral as they are easily the best two teams in Europe when it comes to free flowing and attacking passing. Neither of these teams will try and win 1-0 because neither is capable of playing that way.

For me I will support who ever plays the better standard of football over an English team.

Davo

[/quote]

ha ha very good leeds.

Norwich are the only English club to beat Bayern at the Olympic Stadium, this can''t change as they now play at the Allianz Arena.