Sign in to follow this  
Graeme Miles

'Little Old Norwich' syndrome strikes again!

We''ve got debt, she''s trying to do her bit to help clear it. I''m not her biggest fan but I can''t see too much wrong with that in all honesty.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

How to attract new players by Delia Smith, I do wish the old bag would shut up.

[/quote]

for god sake make your mind up ... a couple of weeks ago you wanted to slip her a length  [;)]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.[/quote]

Erm, the supporters pay the players wages.  Please don`t make things up.

[/quote]Fair play, i don''t read the accounts so i don''t know. She aids in the financial purchasing of players then. Whatever it is, she puts in damn more money than Wiz or i for that matter (which i fully expect her to do as majority shareholder, but nevertheless she has done it anyway)

Love her or dislike her. That . lady has put more into our football club than all of us on this board put together. Many times over.

Yes. She has made mistakes. Yes, she can be an embarrasment. Yes , she might be blocking outside interest ( because she has her principles) but WE are lucky to have her around.

For those who criticise her continuosly I ask: Where would this club be without her devotion? Please don''t throw the we are in League 1 thing back. She was a bit unlucky in her appointment of managers. Then again she did enlist the help of notables like Dave Stringer to guide the decision. It went wrong. I think Doncaster was her worst decision.

In sum: she''s far from perfect but I would rather have her in the seat than Marcus Evans down the road. Everybody agree? 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Love her or dislike her. That . lady has put more into our football club than all of us on this board put together. Many times over.

Yes. She has made mistakes. Yes, she can be an embarrasment. Yes , she might be blocking outside interest ( because she has her principles) but WE are lucky to have her around.

For those who criticise her continuosly I ask: Where would this club be without her devotion? Please don''t throw the we are in League 1 thing back. She was a bit unlucky in her appointment of managers. Then again she did enlist the help of notables like Dave Stringer to guide the decision. It went wrong. I think Doncaster was her worst decision.

In sum: she''s far from perfect but I would rather have her in the seat than Marcus Evans down the road. Everybody agree? 

[/quote]Seconded! [Y]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]I agree, and I would rather have her as the owner that the mystery owner of Saturday''s rivals, Gillette & Hicks, The Glazier family, Simon Jordan, Sacha Gaydamak, etc, etc.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.

You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair play, i don''t read the accounts so i don''t know. She aids in the financial purchasing of players then. Whatever it is, she puts in damn more money than Wiz or i for that matter (which i fully expect her to do as majority shareholder, but nevertheless she has done it anyway)
[/quote]

She and MWJ have exchanged loans for shares which have a value.  I trade in the stockmarket and i don`t claim to "give" companies money when i buy their shares- the idea is absurd.  In all fairness though i don`t believe they see the money they have put in as an investment (ie. that they expect to make a profit from it), but i do believe that getting a sizeable proportion of their money back when they sell is higher up their agenda than many think....

As far as being generally a good thing, it`s impossible to say because no-one knows where we would be or who would be in charge if they hadn`t stepped forward.  But the bald facts are that whilst they have invested some £11m, their decisions have grown the debt by £17m and  relegated us to our lowest level for 50 years which cost us £5m in lost revenue.  Which pretty much speaks for itself.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.[/quote]

[/quote]Fair play, i don''t read the accounts so i don''t know. She aids in the financial purchasing of players then. Whatever it is, she puts in damn more money than Wiz or i for that matter (which i fully expect her to do as majority shareholder, but nevertheless she has done it anyway)[/quote]

She and MWJ have exchanged loans for shares which have a value.  I trade in the stockmarket and i don`t claim to "give" companies money when i buy their shares- the idea is absurd.  In all fairness though i don`t believe they see the money they have put in as an investment (ie. that they expect to make a profit from it), but i do believe that getting a sizeable proportion of their money back when they sell is higher up their agenda than many think....

As far as being generally a good thing, it`s impossible to say because no-one knows where we would be or who would be in charge if they hadn`t stepped forward.  But the bald facts are that whilst they have invested some £11m, their decisions have grown the debt by £17m and  relegated us to our lowest level for 50 years which cost us £5m in lost revenue.  Which pretty much speaks for itself.

[/quote]While I wouldn''t argue with the relegation point, and the board''s decision making re: managers has been poor to say the least, I don''t think there''s a scenario where we wouldn''t be heavily indebted as the football machine and player wages just don''t work in any "real world" scenario.  Put another way, if we weren''t heavily in debt it''s likely we would be a lot further down the league than top of League One as our player budget would have been non-existent.

Well that`s a big (and in my view illogical) assumption Mr.Chops and i don`t agree with it.  League one is punching well below our weight debt or no debt, and there is no special reason to excuse that other than that the previous board screwed the club up both on the pitch and financially.  A club with regular 25k gates SHOULD be able to afford a competetive Champs player budget no matter what- thankfully with the new men at the helm pulling the strings i believe we will.

The shrugging of shoulders, the group hugs, the sitting on hands and general "well there''s always next game" attitude by DS and MWJ is what has got us here and the general acceptance of the fans and even support of this are also to blame. Thank god for Mcnally and the season ticket two for putting some balls back into the club.

Mr Carrow - I thought we had a competetive player budget last season. And that it was just poorly allocated by poor managerial appointments. We have been over this so many times and I know you don''t agree. Do you really still believe ownership by the likes of Manderic or Evans would be a better way forward for our club?

Arthur - Congratulations on your 6000 posts my friend even if most of them are a load of ol'' pony[;)] Do you really still blame all the fans (apart from the season ticket two and yourself) for us being in League One?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Mr Carrow - I thought we had a competetive player budget last season. And that it was just poorly allocated by poor managerial appointments. We have been over this so many times and I know you don''t agree. Do you really still believe ownership by the likes of Manderic or Evans would be a better way forward for our club?

Arthur - Congratulations on your 6000 posts my friend even if most of them are a load of ol'' pony[;)] Do you really still blame all the fans (apart from the season ticket two and yourself) for us being in League One?

[/quote]

Thanks nutty, i only noticed when you mentioned it!

I think the general acceptance from fans have contributed much to our demise. I dont think they are bad fans, far from it, in fact i would argue its mis placed loyalty to Delia being in charge of our beloved club that they follow her every word while not seeing the bigger picture. Very much like Delia herself. Shes not a bad person just lets her heart rule her her head.

There you go NN, a load more of Ol''pony

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Do you think an £8.5m budget to rebuild a team which had nearly been relegated, lost its three best players and was down to a squad of nine senior pros was "competetive" nutty, really?

For every "dodgy" owner you could care to list i could list two who seem to be doing pretty well, but of course these are ignored by the little norwichers....Even most "dodgy" owners seem to be doing rather better with their clubs than our super owners have done with ours.

Still, absolutely no thanks to the likes of you, the pressure finally told, changes were made and we are moving in the right direction again.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Erm, the supporters pay the players wages.  Please don`t make things up.[/quote]Yep. Ticket sales revenue approx £6.5m..........

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Do you think an £8.5m budget.......[/quote]Now, how could the manager have an £8.5m budget if he had to rely on supporters contributions (ticket sales) of approx £6.5m?

Please don`t make things up Mr. Carrow! [^o)]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

I think the general acceptance from fans have contributed much to our demise. I dont think they are bad fans, far from it, in fact i would argue its mis placed loyalty to Delia being in charge of our beloved club that they follow her every word while not seeing the bigger picture. Very much like Delia herself. Shes not a bad person just lets her heart rule her her head.

[/quote]That''s the problem with being a supporter though, isn''t it.  Your heart always rules your head.  Now we have businessmen in the boardroom, this should be less of an issue.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Do you think an £8.5m budget to rebuild a team which had nearly been relegated, lost its three best players and was down to a squad of nine senior pros was "competetive" nutty, really?

For every "dodgy" owner you could care to list i could list two who seem to be doing pretty well, but of course these are ignored by the little norwichers....Even most "dodgy" owners seem to be doing rather better with their clubs than our super owners have done with ours.

Still, absolutely no thanks to the likes of you, the pressure finally told, changes were made and we are moving in the right direction again.

[/quote]

I told you what I think Mr Carrow. I''ve told you over and over and I have seen nothing to change my mind. The board provided a competetive player budget but successive managers have allocated it poorly. The board were responsible for those managers so I held them accountable for our relegation on that basis.

Those dodgy owners continually change as the years go by but Smith & Jones stay at our club for better or for worse. Mandaric probably wasn''t a dodgy owner for Portsmouth until he sold the club without regard for it''s future. The likes of you have campaigned constantly on here for Smith & Jones to do the same.

And that''s not all the likes of you have done is it Mr Carrow? The likes of you refused to buy tickets and put money into the club and just skanked freebies off yer mates and put money into rival clubs when purchasing away tickets. That''s the way the likes of you put pressure on the club. And when we had a meeting at St Andrews Hall or even Club AGM''s the likes of me spoke against the board while the likes of you put pressure on by not bothering to go. So what do we to thank the likes of you for regarding the boardroom changes?

We were relegated. Smith & Jones said changes would be made immediately after that relegation. The fans demanded change at the St Andrews Hall meeting. Changes to the board were made. Out went the old and in came the new. Finally the change went from the boardroom to the football team. Not as quickly as fans would have liked but probably as quickly as the new board could do it. Can you tell me how the likes of you influenced this change? And while your about it maybe you can tell me who appointed this new board? And finally, I asked you if you still thought the likes of Mandaric or Evans were the way forward for our club. But I see you chose to ignore that.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I told you what I think Mr Carrow. I''ve told you over and over and I have seen nothing to change my mind. The board provided a competetive player budget but successive managers have allocated it poorly. The board were responsible for those managers so I held them accountable for our relegation on that basis.

Those dodgy owners continually change as the years go by but Smith & Jones stay at our club for better or for worse. Mandaric probably wasn''t a dodgy owner for Portsmouth until he sold the club without regard for it''s future. The likes of you have campaigned constantly on here for Smith & Jones to do the same.

And that''s not all the likes of you have done is it Mr Carrow? The likes of you refused to buy tickets and put money into the club and just skanked freebies off yer mates and put money into rival clubs when purchasing away tickets. That''s the way the likes of you put pressure on the club. And when we had a meeting at St Andrews Hall or even Club AGM''s the likes of me spoke against the board** while the likes of you put pressure on by not bothering to go. So what do we to thank the likes of you for regarding the boardroom changes?

We were relegated. Smith & Jones said changes would be made immediately after that relegation. The fans demanded change at the St Andrews Hall meeting. Changes to the board were made. Out went the old and in came the new. Finally the change went from the boardroom to the football team. Not as quickly as fans would have liked but probably as quickly as the new board could do it. Can you tell me how the likes of you influenced this change? And while your about it maybe you can tell me who appointed this new board? And finally, I asked you if you still thought the likes of Mandaric or Evans were the way forward for our club. But I see you chose to ignore that.

[/quote]

** Remind us now, nigel, did you speak against the board or was it the likes of you who spoke against the board?

Thanks in advance. You see some of our memories are not as good as those of the likes of you.

[;)]

Oh, by the way, are you familiar with the term ''wagonist''? Just curious.

[;)]

OTBC

It was Delia and Mick''s (and nephew Tom''s) ''Last Chance Saloon''.... They knew that changes had to be made after our relegation. The board had blagged, blustered and blundered their way through the seasons after our relegation from the Premiership. If we''d survived on the last day of the season at Charlton, we would more than likely still have the previous board incompetent incumbent''s at the helm....and be struggling on, and off the pitch.

No more chanting of ''Delia''s Barmy Army''.......Can''t think why?

Bear in mind that we are still struggling off the pitch, if not on it.

We are in a sense living in a fool''s paradise, since (according to Messrs Bowkett and McNally) we have only remained solvent because our major creditors agreed to suspend our loan repayments until the end of the season, in order to give us the best possible chance of returning to the Championship at the first attempt.  That, I believe, was the crucial factor in persuading everyone on the board to replace Gunn with a manager who was up to the task: without a fighting chance of promotion the lenders wouldn''t have been nearly so accommodating and we''d probably have gone bust by now.  Lambert''s getting us out of a huge hole in both football and financial terms.

But the day of reckoning is fast approaching.  Barring significant new investment we cannot expect our debts to be any less of a drain than they were before, quite the reverse in fact.  I am confident that Bowkett and McNally are doing everything possible to put us on a firm enough financial footing to continue making progress, but right now we are still in intensive care.  We have to get promotion first and deal with the consequences of years of financial "prudence" afterwards.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Bear in mind that we are still struggling off the pitch, if not on it.

We are in a sense living in a fool''s paradise, since (according to Messrs Bowkett and McNally) our major creditors agreed to suspend our loan repayments until the end of the season, in order to give us the best possible chance of returning to the Championship at the first attempt.  That, I believe, was the crucial factor in persuading everyone on the board to replace Gunn with a manager who was up to the task: without a fighting chance of promotion the lenders wouldn''t have been nearly so accommodating and we''d probably have gone bust by now.  Lambert''s getting us out of a huge hole in both football and financial terms.

But the day of reckoning is fast approaching.  Barring significant new investment we cannot expect our debts to be any less of a drain than they were before, quite the reverse in fact.  I am confident that Bowkett and McNally are doing everything possible to put us on a firm enough financial footing to continue making progress, but right now we are still in intensive care.  We have to get promotion first and deal with the consequences of years of financial "prudence" afterwards.

[/quote]

(have edited the above because it sounded as though "we are are only solvent" was a quote from B & McN)

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And that''s not all the likes of you have done is it Mr Carrow? The likes of you refused to buy tickets and put money into the club and just skanked freebies off yer mates and put money into rival clubs when purchasing away tickets. That''s the way the likes of you put pressure on the club. And when we had a meeting at St Andrews Hall or even Club AGM''s the likes of me spoke against the board while the likes of you put pressure on by not bothering to go. So what do we to thank the likes of you for regarding the boardroom changes?

[/quote]

Perhaps you should try ranting based on what people have posted instead of the silly caricature you have invented in your head....

Did you speak out against the board nutty?  You posted on here that you only voted against them because there were 3 and not 5 of them.  Would you have voted against if Munby and Doncaster had still been in situ?  Come on, honest answer.

Internet message boards are quite influential these days, just as fanzines used to be and i don`t think you`d be getting so worked up unless you understood that.... I don`t believe that various journalists or even Bowkett and Bertram would have dared openly criticise the running of the club unless they felt there was a groundswell of opinion backing them up, just as people like Jimmy Jones would not have spoken out against Chase without the protests.

I don`t believe i`ve ever asked for "thanks" nutty, but perhaps you should consider that your approach, which despite thousands of posts and tens of thousands of paragraphs boils down to "never, ever rock the boat", is fundamentally flawed and what has happened recently is a good example of how pressure for a change of approach can have a positive outcome. 

I don`t know enough about Mandaric or Evans to make a judgement, but one thing i`m sure of is that if they take their respective clubs down to their lowest level in 50 years you will be crowing about how terrible they are, whilst proclaiming how wonderful ours is!  How i`ve missed our little chats....[:D]

Well well well, now I''ve read everything. Mr Carrow and BlyBlyBabes believe that people who anonymously post on the internet messageboards have more influence than those of us who speak out and vote at public meetings and AGM''s. Priceless stuff lads, keep it up[Y]

Are you two familiar with the term "keyboard warrior"? Just curious [;)]

Oh and Arthur - Manderic is doing quite well at Leicester which I''m sure is a great comfort to those Portsmouth fans who remember him doing quite well there.

Nutty, did you speak out against the board?  And would you have voted no confidence in the board if Munby and Doncaster were still in position?

I`ve deduced from your posts on here about your own company`s AGM`s that you have a grudge against the kind of cleverdicks who offer their wisdom from the sidelines and you`ve managed to project that grudge on to several posters on here.  But i`m afraid you are going to have to accept the reality that just sometimes those irritating cleverdicks actually get it right.

Oh, and Bly, in answer to your question I spoke out about the need to keep the pressure on the board until the changes needed were made. I got a lot of support for those comments, although it''s more difficult to speak up at Public Meetings than it is to post on here. There must have been a dozen regular posters from this message board who heard me. It was also discussed afterwards on here :-

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1/1687890/ShowPost.aspx#1687890

I wouldn''t dare suggest that my comments helped effect the changes that happened later but I would have thought, thanks to Tilly organising the meeting, they actually did bear more weight than if I''d just posted them on here.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Nutty, did you speak out against the board?  And would you have voted no confidence in the board if Munby and Doncaster were still in position?

I`ve deduced from your posts on here about your own company`s AGM`s that you have a grudge against the kind of cleverdicks who offer their wisdom from the sidelines and you`ve managed to project that grudge on to several posters on here.  But i`m afraid you are going to have to accept the reality that just sometimes those irritating cleverdicks actually get it right.

[/quote]

My own company''s AGM? What on earth are you going on about now? What do you do for a living Mr Carrow?

I have never heard you make any comments at any meeting or AGM. What have I missed?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

I`ll answer your questions when you answer mine nutty.  Y`know, the first two sentences in the post above [:)].

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

I`ll answer your questions when you answer mine nutty.  Y`know, the first two sentences in the post above [:)].

[/quote]

I have no problem answering questions on here. Part of your question has already been answered and the other part is easy to answer. Of course I would have voted no confidence against the board if Munby and Doncaster had been in place. I had no confidence in them appointing a football manager capable of allocating a competetive player budget well enough to keep us in the Championship. Successive failures from Grant to Gunn rather left no choice on the matter. This has been a constant feature of my posts since I joined the board while others blamed a succession of good people, and I include Delia Smith, for our failures.

Funny that nutty, because in a debate with the Butler you stated that you only voted no confidence in the board because there were 3 instead of 5 of them.  As per usual you want it all ways as long as you never have to admit you were wrong.  You yourself admitted a couple of posts back that the owners were "responsible" for appointing our managers and "accountable" for relegation yet apparently they are not to "blame" for anything.  Brilliant.