Sign in to follow this  
Graeme Miles

'Little Old Norwich' syndrome strikes again!

Hmmm... I know how she meant it to sound, but I don''t like the way this comment reads:

“If I were to do another BBC series I’d probably earn more. So it’s not all about the money. But I do have to do something because I have a very poor football club to support.”

I thought we were a pretty decent football club at the moment!!

Delia Smith stars in Waitrose advert to raise funds for Norwich City/a>

So an old lady goes back to work to raise money for the football club she has a duty of care towards, and you moan because you don''t like the way a journalist has quoted her.  Good for you!  Be proud!

And it''s not "Little Old Norwich", it''s "£23 million in debt Norwich", and our majority shareholder is using the limited tools at her disposal, i.e. her fame and reputation, to bring some money into the club.  I fully support this and would be amazed if anyone did not.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]And it''s not "Little Old Norwich", it''s "£23 million in debt Norwich", and our majority shareholder is using the limited tools at her disposal, i.e. her fame and reputation, to bring some money into the club.  I fully support this and would be amazed if anyone did not.[/quote]

Well said Mr Chops!

I think Delia sees us less as Little Old Norwich and more like the club she loves and (in this case doing Waitrose ads with Heston Bloominawful) she is able to raise some really useful cash. Money she chooses to give to us.

We''re so lucky to have her; Leeds for instance have a morose, self-centred holier-than-thou, tax exile that hardly anyone seems to like!

There is plently I don''t agree with in relation to some of Delia''s decisions. However, well done her for going out and getting us some more cash. Maybe we should borrow another well known supermarket slogan - ''every little helps''.

[quote user="birchfest"]£23 million in debt says we are a poor football club!
[/quote]

Indeed, but I can see where the OP is coming from.  "Poor" implies a) that we are on a low income, and b) that it''s nobody''s fault.  It reeks of self-pity and evasion of responsibility  "Indebted" would have been nearer the mark.

Our income is the second highest, if not the highest, in this league.  We''re not poor, but due to years of financial mismanagement we''re heavily in debt.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="birchfest"]£23 million in debt says we are a poor football club!
[/quote]

Indeed, but I can see where the OP is coming from.  "Poor" implies a) that we are on a low income, and b) that it''s nobody''s fault.  It reeks of self-pity and evasion of responsibility  "Indebted" would have been nearer the mark.

Our income is the second highest, if not the highest, in this league.  We''re not poor, but due to years of financial mismanagement we''re heavily in debt.

[/quote]

I think that the OP was joking about the double meaning of the word ''poor'' [:D] i.e. as well as meaning skint it also implies that we''re not very good at football. But obviously a bit of gravitas is always appreciated on a Thursday morning [:)]   

I think everyone''s being a bit over sensitive. It''s a well known fact that many clubs in the football league are skint som the fact that we are "poor" is no revelation. She said it with slight jest anyway. We should be thankful that she''s got NCFC''s interests at heart, even though it doesn''t always work out!!

[quote user="canary cherub "]

I think that the OP was joking about the double meaning of the word ''poor'' [:D] i.e. as well as meaning skint it also implies that we''re not very good at football. But obviously a bit of gravitas is always appreciated on a Thursday morning [:)]   

[/quote]

Thanks! that was all I meant - just had a bit of a chuckle at how it could be interpreted. Thought the article was interesting, a bit ''cutesy'' but then it isn''t a sports story, more a general interest piece. Still, it''s caused a bit of aggro anyway!!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I do wish the old bag would shut up.

[/quote]

I think that should be your signature. Never a truer word spoken. Possibly a bit hard on yourself, but there we are.

"but due to years of financial mismanagement we''re heavily in debt"

Absolutey !

How much has been wasted on the new south stand, all those infills and the pitch ?

I''ve been to other clubs in our league this season and they don''t seem to have a problem finding somewhere for people to sit without mismanaging their finances and spending money on silly new stands.

The pitches were ok, even Cochester''s was playable.

Our away fans seem happy to pee up against the wall and buy lukewarm tea from a corrugated hut (not sure if there is any connection).

I wonder if we can take them back and get a refund (after the Leeds game, obviously).

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I think that should be your signature. Never a truer word spoken. Possibly a bit hard on yourself, but there we are.

[/quote]Took a tad longer than I expected, but the first sad ''point scorer'' crawls out from under his moss covered stone..........sadly, he won''t be the last of the vermin to surface.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

How to attract new players by Delia Smith, I do wish the old bag would shut up.

[/quote]Don''t you think she and her husband have earnt the right to have an opinion ?  approximately 10 million pounds worth of having the right, in fact ?  Or a third of their worth ?

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Took a tad longer than I expected, but the first sad ''point scorer'' crawls out from under his moss covered stone..........sadly, he won''t be the last of the vermin to surface.[/quote]You really are a mendacious old fool aren''t you?Might I float a suggestion past you? Don''t dish it out if you can''t take it! A simple analogy really and one you would be well advised to follow, then people might take you with a bit more seriously instead of thinking of you as a blustering, full of self importance troll who likes nothing better than the sight of his own typed voice. I wager that you would be less vociferous in a face to face confrontation… as a smack in the gob tends to sharpen one''s focus on how one behaves… wheelchair bound or not!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Took a tad longer than I expected, but the first sad ''point scorer'' crawls out from under his moss covered stone..........sadly, he won''t be the last of the vermin to surface.[/quote]

I think it''s called a joke you melodramatic old fool [:D] You need to take yourself less seriously [:)]

Oh for a f**king edit button!!! Apologies for the poor sentence construction in the last posting of mine. I, of course, meant that "people might take your more seriously" or something of that ilk rather than that awfully constructed pile.Sorry!Oh, and Sports Inter Web Pete. Really, an edit button is not too much to ask is it? As Archant uses us as unpaid journos, the least you could do is bring this site up to date!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Took a tad longer than I expected, but the first sad ''point scorer'' crawls out from under his moss covered stone..........sadly, he won''t be the last of the vermin to surface.[/quote]

You really are a mendacious old fool aren''t you?

Might I float a suggestion past you? Don''t dish it out if you can''t take it!

A simple analogy really and one you would be well advised to follow, then people might take you with a bit more seriously instead of thinking of you as a blustering, full of self importance troll who likes nothing better than the sight of his own typed voice.

I wager that you would be less vociferous in a face to face confrontation… as a smack in the gob tends to sharpen one''s focus on how one behaves… wheelchair bound or not!
[/quote]

As I said, here they come, and with threats too!

And you''d lose your wager btw, I don''t do bottling.................now go, re-find your stone.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

A simple analogy really and one you would be well advised to follow, then people might take you with a bit more seriously instead of thinking of you as a blustering, full of self importance troll who likes nothing better than the sight of his own typed voice.

I wager that you would be less vociferous in a face to face confrontation… as a smack in the gob tends to sharpen one''s focus on how one behaves… wheelchair bound or not!
[/quote]

And you''d lose your wager btw, I don''t do bottling.................now go, re-find your stone.

[/quote]

Goodness me Wiz. I was just trying to save you making yourself look like a sad, self-pitying old git with double-standards - not point-scoring. If you want to continue with this then be my guest [:)][;)] but you strike me as someone with more pride than that 

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Goodness me Wiz. I was just trying to save you making yourself look like a sad, self-pitying old git with double-standards - not point-scoring. If you want to continue with this then be my guest [:)][;)] but you strike me as someone with more pride than that 

[/quote]

Sorry Mac D  but it has to sink in to the stone dwellers on here, when I meet City fans, as I often do, I never moderate my opinions because of my situation, and I include Smith and Munby in the list.

The threat of violence doesn''t stop me speaking my mind..............and it never ever will.

Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Mac D  but it has to sink in to the stone dwellers on here, when I meet City fans, as I often do, I never moderate my opinions because of my situation, and I include Smith and Munby in the list.

The threat of violence doesn''t stop me speaking my mind..............and it never ever will.

[/quote]

Hahah [:D] you''re like Churchill [:)]

But, seriously, you don''t think that calling someone ''vermin'' becuase they effectively made the ''I know you are but what am I'' schoolyard gag to you is a tad OTT? [:D]

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.

You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.
[/quote]Surely the two matters are entirely seperate aren''t they hogesar? one of them requires no talking whatsoever, screams of delight yes, but no talking![;)]

[quote user="hogesar"]Yes but Wiz, why should the ''old bag'' shutup? She''s a majority shareholder, you know, the one that pays for our players wages? I think she has the right to some kind of opinion just as much as you do, maybe more, due to the money she''s put in.

You thought she was hot the other week, dear oh dear.
[/quote]

Erm, the supporters pay the players wages.  Please don`t make things up.