Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Ex norwich players clapped!!!!

more often than not we seem to boo ex city players when they come back to play at Carrow Road.... who do / did we always clap rather than boo when playing against us??

Malky for Watford I remember a few seasons ago as the last player clapped by us!!

Who else????

[quote user="the unit"]more often than not we seem to boo ex city players when they come back to play at Carrow Road.... who do / did we always clap rather than boo when playing against us?? Malky for Watford I remember a few seasons ago as the last player clapped by us!! Who else????[/quote]

In fairness Hughes deserved everything he got on Saturday, given that he was always the first to the ref trying to get our players sent off. Yes, he gave us a lot of endeavour when he was here, but he would have spat on our grave on Saturday, so he was fair game.

[quote user="the unit"]more often than not we seem to boo ex city players when they come back to play at Carrow Road.... who do / did we always clap rather than boo when playing against us?? Malky for Watford I remember a few seasons ago as the last player clapped by us!! Who else????[/quote]

I think the reason for this is a majority of players who leave Norwich are either a) Rubbish or b) Money grabbers who only came to put themselfs in the prevervial shop window. Only players who have show loyalty and passion should be given applause. Those who just came for the pay cheques or the easy life, why should we clap them?

The ones who i would welcome back for another team as a manager or player would be, Bellamy, Clingan, Malky, Mark Robins, Lee Croft, Rob Green, maybe Dickson Etuhu and thats about it i can think of at the moment.  

I was at the Forest home game on Boxing Day that we lost last season. Earnie was a sub for Forest that day, signing stuff for Norwich fans in the Jarrold and got a nice round of applause from the fans, which he reciprocated. I seem to remember he didn''t celebrate when he got their third late on.

Some will disagree, but I don''t think you can blame Earnshaw for leaving when he did. He''s a player I have some fond memories of even though he didn''t play for us at the most auspicious time, and he conducted himself well that day.

I would like to think that, when we are back in the Prem (!!!) and Fraser Forster comes here with Newcastle, we will raise the roof for him-maybe he''ll let one in, as an acknowledgement!

Peter Crouch, as and when Spurs play here again, worth a ripple-wasn''t here long, but did well and speaks very fondly of us.

Rio Ferdinand-well, he did have a trial here when he was a kid!!!

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]

I was at the Forest home game on Boxing Day that we lost last season. Earnie was a sub for Forest that day, signing stuff for Norwich fans in the Jarrold and got a nice round of applause from the fans, which he reciprocated. I seem to remember he didn''t celebrate when he got their third late on.

Some will disagree, but I don''t think you can blame Earnshaw for leaving when he did. He''s a player I have some fond memories of even though he didn''t play for us at the most auspicious time, and he conducted himself well that day.

[/quote]I agree with you- he left to play in the premiership which nobody can really blame him for. Always liked him.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Disagree. Where is he playing now? Jumped ship at the first available moment.[/quote]Playing for a team 3rd in the championship?

If a player has done well for us and did not leave under a cloud then that should always count for something. I remember Efon Ekoku being booed when he returned with Sheffield Wednesday. I could not believe it and nor could he - he made a ''what have I done?'' gesture to the fans responsible. This was the man who once scored four goals for City at Everton for God''s sake. He did not want to leave City. It was Deehan who decided to let him go.

[quote user="Webbo118"]So? They weren''t when he joined.[/quote]Come on, your a professional football in a team going nowhere (which we were at the time) and you get offered the chance to play in the premiership. What are you going to choose?

I really don''t have a problem with that. The implication was that he would only play for a Premiership team. Clearly, he is not good enough to do that and spends the majority of his time at Forest as a bench warmer. Whilst he is undoubtedly a good finisher, I never rated him as a team player and regarded him as something of a luxury. Would I want him back? Not in a million years.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I really don''t have a problem with that. The implication was that he would only play for a Premiership team. Clearly, he is not good enough to do that and spends the majority of his time at Forest as a bench warmer. Whilst he is undoubtedly a good finisher, I never rated him as a team player and regarded him as something of a luxury. Would I want him back? Not in a million years.[/quote]

I must be missing something, but I''ve never really understood the concept of a player that scores goals being a luxury. I''m in particular thinking of Lupoli last season.

I understand the idea of defending from the front, but 46 0-0 draws gets you relegated, scoring goals is the fundamental basis of football is it not? If it were a choice between Holt (who offers both hard work and goals) and Lupoli then easy choice, but Killen and Lupoil? Or Lupoli v Gow?

I don''t think loyalty (with one or two exceptions) by players is a recognised concept anymore.

In the good old days players kept with one club for a considerable amount of time and were rewarded with a testimonial game. It was a much more level playing field back then and no matter who you played for the wages weren''t that different. There were of course exceptions, but you found your level and that was pretty much where you stayed.

These days it''s all about the lure of the Premiership golden cow that and the agents selling players to the highest bidder.

I don''t think you can chastise ex-players for wanting to better themselves financially. So long as they gave 100% to the cause while they were here they should still be warmly applauded. 

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]I really don''t have a problem with that. The implication was that he would only play for a Premiership team. Clearly, he is not good enough to do that and spends the majority of his time at Forest as a bench warmer. Whilst he is undoubtedly a good finisher, I never rated him as a team player and regarded him as something of a luxury. Would I want him back? Not in a million years.[/quote]

I must be missing something, but I''ve never really understood the concept of a player that scores goals being a luxury. I''m in particular thinking of Lupoli last season.

I understand the idea of defending from the front, but 46 0-0 draws gets you relegated, scoring goals is the fundamental basis of football is it not? If it were a choice between Holt (who offers both hard work and goals) and Lupoli then easy choice, but Killen and Lupoil? Or Lupoli v Gow?

[/quote]Me neither. Earnshaw was a pure goalscorer. He gets stick for the same reason Chris Martin does, in that he is not an all action, run all day sort of player. I lost count of the amount of times people around me got annoyed at Earnshaw for not racking back which is clearly not his job. Having Earnshaw in the team guaranteed us goals, he got about 18 that season despite being injured for a fair chunk of it.

Back to the original topic, I only boo players who I think screwed us over in someway. Damien Francis and Andy Marshall spring to mind, also Leon McKenzie. If they were just shit (Carl Robinson, Andy Hughes) I just treat them with a mild indifference.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Webbo118"]Disagree. Where is he playing now? Jumped ship at the first available moment.[/quote]
Playing for a team 3rd in the championship?
[/quote]

Hardly playing is he

[quote user="The Duke"]

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Webbo118"]Disagree. Where is he playing now? Jumped ship at the first available moment.[/quote]Playing for a team 3rd in the championship?[/quote]

Hardly playing is he

[/quote]Not as much as the stats say he should be- 21 appearances 11 goals.

Darrel Russel always used to get a ripple of applause when he came back playing for Stoke. I think Green would deffo deserve a good welcome if he came back to Carrow Road.

I think the reason for this is a majority of players who leave Norwich are either a) Rubbish or b) Money grabbers who only came to put themselfs in the prevervial shop window. Only players who have show loyalty and passion should be given applause. Those who just came for the pay cheques or the easy life, why should we clap them?

The ones who i would welcome back for another team as a manager or player would be, Bellamy, Clingan, Malky, Mark Robins, Lee Croft, Rob Green, maybe Dickson Etuhu and thats about it i can think of at the moment.

Are you for real?

You mention money grabbers and those who were here for the cheque only then say you''d welcome Dickson Etuhu back with open arms!!!

Etuhu only played well for us in certain games, the Chelsea away cup tie for instance and wasn''t interested in the knitty gritty of League games most of the time. I''m amazed we got £1.5M for a guy that wasn''t worth a third of that going on his Norwich performances!

You''d also welcome Lee Croft back!

I wouldn''t and nor would the majoirty of other Norwich fans. Yes the guy had plenty of effort but ultimately produced little, was the most unjust player of the season ever last season, wouldn''t get in our team now and has been found out at Derby!

[quote user="Kent Canary"]Bellers got a good reception when he came for the pre-season friendly with West Ham...not so much Ashton though.
[/quote]

I suspect that we are the only former club where Bellamy gets a good reception!

Sorry for bringing up bad memories but I remember Gary Holt getting a good applause against Col U, it was 4-0 or 5-0 at the time when he warmed up in front of us.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]I think the reason for this is a majority of players who leave Norwich are either a) Rubbish or b) Money grabbers who only came to put themselfs in the prevervial shop window. Only players who have show loyalty and passion should be given applause. Those who just came for the pay cheques or the easy life, why should we clap them?

Are you for real?

You mention money grabbers and those who were here for the cheque only then say you''d welcome Dickson Etuhu back with open arms!!!

Etuhu only played well for us in certain games, the Chelsea away cup tie for instance and wasn''t interested in the knitty gritty of League games most of the time. I''m amazed we got £1.5M for a guy that wasn''t worth a third of that going on his Norwich performances!

You''d also welcome Lee Croft back!

I wouldn''t and nor would the majoirty of other Norwich fans. Yes the guy had plenty of effort but ultimately produced little, was the most unjust player of the season ever last season, wouldn''t get in our team now and has been found out at Derby![/quote]

Explain to me how Croft got voted player of the season then despite everyone knowing he was leaving? If you wouldn''t give Croft a polite clap on his return your an idiot. He gave his all for the club and for his goal against the scum alone would get a clap from me. It was no secret he was going to leave when his contract was up, the management at the time could of sold him in Jan for more than Bell and also made a tidy profit but decided to keep him and sell Bell....Who''s fault is that? Not Lee Crofts is it!

As for Dickson, you said it yourself, i was amazed we got 1.5M for him too. Yet he is the one playing the the Wafa cup while we are in the third tier of English football. So he''s proved me wrong and you wrong there. He''ll also be going to the World cup this year to play for Nigeria so well done to the lad. He done his job for us and we made a tidy profit on him it was win win. wake up and stop being an idiot, we are a selling club always have been. We have to sell players to survive and makeing over 1m in 2 seasons was good business sense. Most if not all our players would leave for a crack in the Prem, get real if you think otherwise. Then again i bet you hate Clingan for leaving last year or Green or Ashton or Bellamy for leaving too for that matter.

[quote user="RonDavies"]If a player has done well for us and did not leave under a cloud then that should always count for something. I remember Efon Ekoku being booed when he returned with Sheffield Wednesday. I could not believe it and nor could he - he made a ''what have I done?'' gesture to the fans responsible. This was the man who once scored four goals for City at Everton for God''s sake. He did not want to leave City. It was Deehan who decided to let him go.[/quote]Agreed, We Sold Sutton, Sold Ekoku, sold Robins and that was the beginning of the end.with Efan up front we might have stood a chance of staying up in 1995.... 4 goals against Everton (which is still a Premiership record, shared with Wayne rooney and Andy cole, for most goals by 1 player ina  Premiership match), the clubs 1st ever goal in European football, and the goal tjhat ssecured 3rd in the top flight and our qualification for europe.. Efan ekoku doesn''t get the credit he deserves from our fans.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="RonDavies"]If a player has done well for us and did not leave under a cloud then that should always count for something. I remember Efon Ekoku being booed when he returned with Sheffield Wednesday. I could not believe it and nor could he - he made a ''what have I done?'' gesture to the fans responsible. This was the man who once scored four goals for City at Everton for God''s sake. He did not want to leave City. It was Deehan who decided to let him go.[/quote]Agreed, We Sold Sutton, Sold Ekoku, sold Robins and that was the beginning of the end.with Efan up front we might have stood a chance of staying up in 1995.... 4 goals against Everton (which is still a Premiership record, shared with Wayne rooney and Andy cole, for most goals by 1 player ina  Premiership match), the clubs 1st ever goal in European football, and the goal tjhat ssecured 3rd in the top flight and our qualification for europe.. Efan ekoku doesn''t get the credit he deserves from our fans.[/quote]Andy Cole, Shearer & Defoe hold the Premiership record with 5 goals. Quite a few players have now scored 4 in a game inc Fat Frank on Sat.