Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Re: Run-in table

Anyone know if this run-in table takes into account the fact that some of the top 8 or so have to play each other, which will effectively write-off some of the possible points gains (after all, they can''t both win)... I''m not really a maths kinda guy, but if someone wanted to analyse the effect that such fixtures will have on the possible points gains, that would be grand...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Anyone know if this run-in table takes into account the fact that some of the top 8 or so have to play each other, which will effectively write-off some of the possible points gains (after all, they can''t both win)... I''m not really a maths kinda guy, but if someone wanted to analyse the effect that such fixtures will have on the possible points gains, that would be grand...[/quote]I dont think its possible on an individual scale. Each teams maximum points are worked out with them winning each remaining game. With your idea the only way to do it would be to look at the maximum combined points from 2 or more teams, that would then take into account any matches those 2 or more teams play against each other. Im sure it can be done with some careful studying of the fixtures though.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Anyone know if this run-in table takes into account the fact that some of the top 8 or so have to play each other, which will effectively write-off some of the possible points gains (after all, they can''t both win)... I''m not really a maths kinda guy, but if someone wanted to analyse the effect that such fixtures will have on the possible points gains, that would be grand...[/quote]It doesn''t make that much difference to the prospects of any one team catching us with respect to our needed points as per this table neither does it make that much difference to the points recorded in the table (page 1) if both Leeds and Millwall were to remain unbeaten throughout the rest of the season as they don''t have to play each other again. Where it does make a difference is if any other of the top six/seven/eight teams were to go on a run and remain unbeaten.All we have to worry about is any two from say six passing us, if these two are Leeds and Millwall then theoretically all the points shown are to play for, if not our hypothetical points required tally drops by between 3 and 6 points depending on which two teams are winning all their matches.Reading back this sounds confusing what I''m trying to say is that we just need to concentrate on any two teams passing us, the permutations would really only come into effect if three or more teams needed to pass us as both Leeds and Millwall can still mathematically attain the points tally shown in the table by virtue of them not playing each other again.

It''s not really anything to worry about unless we lose the next 3 matches, I reckon.  And with the form of the top 6, maybe not then either.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not much point anymore. We''re up, as champions. Will update anyway....[/quote]

What happened to not tempting fate, Pete?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

pete, you managed to EDIT this post!

ad an edit buttttoonnnn!!!

[/quote]

Nana you too have an edit button![:D]

Check your private messages you will see an edit button, you can play with it till your heart is content!

[/quote]If you press Alt+F4 on your keyboard, you can edit all your posts...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]If you press Alt+F4 on your keyboard, you can edit all your posts...[/quote]Damn you EM!!! [:$]

[/quote]
If you press Alt+F4 on your keyboard, you can edit all your posts...
[/quote]

Very Evil Monkey....

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]If you press Alt+F4 on your keyboard, you can edit all your posts...[/quote]Damn you EM!!! [:$][/quote]Oh please don''t tell me you fell for it, its the oldest trick in the book! [:P]

This is my predictor for the final table -

NORWICH 31 7   8  100
MILLWALL26_______13________7_______91
SWINDON2415787
LEEDS 2315884
CHARLTON2216882
HUDD''SFIELD 22131179
COL UTD22121278

Super City get to three figures beating Carlisle at home on the last day. Ironically we could go up as clear champions even though we end up losing more games than the teams in 2nd or 3rd, due to always going out to win and ending up with v few draws. Leeds drop down to 4th,and Col U miss out on the play offs after Huddersfield beat them at the Galpharm and then win away at Exeter on the final day. Huddersfield on such a high by grabbing the last play off spot that they steamroller Swindon and beat Leeds in the play off final. Now that would make the Leeds fan weep!

[/quote]
If you press Alt+F4 on your keyboard, you can edit all your posts...
[/quote]

being a 6th form ICT student, i know what that does [;)]

I''ve got us winning this silly league at a canter. I''ve even got us finishing top after drawing against Carlisle losing at the Valley (havent seen us win there since Drinkell (I think) scored), Bristol rovers, and the Orient...but honestly I cant see us losing all of them...its not going to happen is it?

Win the 2 of the next 3 and its job done.

...see you down the O''s next week folks.

[/quote]

Doesnt everyone have an edit button then? I know I have [:)]

[quote user="lobster catcher"]thats swindon out of it.........we are nearly there!!!![/quote]

No, they are still in with a chance.

[quote user="Quagmire"]

[quote user="lobster catcher"]thats swindon out of it.........we are nearly there!!!![/quote]

No, they are still in with a chance.

[/quote]

yeah I wouldn''t write them off- they''ve got goals in them and I reckon they''ll decide their own future on th last day against Millwall- it''s not over for them yet.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Not much point anymore. We''re up, as champions. Will update anyway....[/quote]

[:O] Pete, you''ve jinxed us with the commentators curse!