Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Re: Run-in table

Mathematically, we need five more wins.to ensure automatic.

That is if Charlton win every game ... this wont happen.

Blimey! I think we have done it. 

Somebody tell me I am jumping the gun.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

You are jumping the gun. We need 6 wins depending on tonight''s result it may be 5.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]You''re jumping the gun [;)]Theoretically Charlton could go past us on goal difference if we only pick up 15 more points couldn''t they?

Well done nice piece of work.On the basis of this table I want Leeds to beat Millwall tonight.This would maintain the 12pt buffer,reduce our absolute points total required down from 17 to 16 and seriously undermine Millwall,s promo challenge. Mind you a draw wouldn,t be bad either.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

You''re jumping the gun [;)]

Theoretically Charlton could go past us on goal difference if we only pick up 15 more points couldn''t they?
[/quote]

Nuff Said, despite all your beliefs in the merit of science I don''t believe you read. If you did, you would have written that Millwall could go past us with an inferior goal difference. 

Looking at the run in Col Who could have a part to play in taking points off the sides in the top six, they still have to play Charlton, Millwall and Swindon as well as Huddersfield who are just outside top six.

Also Swindon''s games away at Leeds and away at Millwall on the final day could be important.

The games between the play off sides will probably be cagey as they won''t want to give too much away in case they have to play them again in May.

If they all take points off each other including plenty of draws our task will get easier by the week..........hopefully!

[quote user="adycanary"]Don''t forget that some of them teams play each other too, soo that will take some teams out of the equation.[/quote]

Indeed, which is why the table is rather misleading.

And its unlikely that more than 1 team will get more than 2 pts per game during that time,  let alone the 3 this supposes. 

Charlton''s next to matches are away to Huddersfield (only lost to us at home) and MK Dons... I think they will struggle to get 2 points total from those games.

We need to be watching Millwall if anyone, a draw today would help us out. They have a good run in with only Hudders and Col Who the to difficult away games for them.

To be fair if we beat Leeds next week the title is pretty much in the bag, no team below us is going to keep a +2 point game average and even if one team did would two?!? AND would we not be capable of winning at least four of our last 9 matches.........???

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]You''re jumping the gun [;)]Theoretically Charlton could go past us on goal difference if we only pick up 15 more points couldn''t they?[/quote]

Nuff Said, despite all your beliefs in the merit of science I don''t believe you read. If you did, you would have written that Millwall could go past us with an inferior goal difference. 

[/quote]Eh? [*-)] All the teams listed in the table could go past us with inferior goal difference. I was replying to BroadstairsR''s comment about Charlton.

"We are staying up guaranteed...... "

Much to the disappointment of many :o)

I think we are getting a little confused here.

As to what we mathematically need to go up it is 16 points and a better goal difference than Millwall or Leeds. In that matter, what happens to Charlton and the rest doesn''t matter.

Those two teams can both achiev 95 points therefore as we cannot absolutely guarantee what the goal difference wiil be

WE NEED 17 MORE POINTS

Whether that''s 6, wins, 5 wins and two draws 4 wins and 5 draws it is srill in our hands.

Now to the speculation.

I don''t believe that both Leeds and Millwall will win all their remaining games. Neither do I think that any of the others below Millwall will win all of their remaing games so forcing us to achive 95 points.

There will not be two clubs winning all their games for the simple reason og them all playing each other.

Millwall''s win tonight did us a huge favour. I cannot believe that somebody would have wanted Leeds to have won. At this stage after such a magnificent season we can only accept the title (by a clear margin) as a just reward. Promotion would only restore what many feel should be our minimum place.

Tonight has probably also finally confirmed what many have thought for a while that Leeds have pretty much shot their bolt. Perhaps the fixture pile up of February did for them - or maybe just exposed what was already becoming apparent.

A win for us next Saturday will pretty much put us in the home straight for both promotion and the title and could well see Leeds dragged into the hungry pack of four beneath them - who will all know that the second spot is open for grabs.

That will provide a splendid end to the season as a Leeds win tonight would well have seen us both fighting for the title whilst Charlton, Swindon, Colchester and Millwall jockeyed for positions within the playoff places.

So anyone but Charlton or Leeds up with us in automatic and the play off place and that''ll be two less ''big clubs'' we have to face next season.

To get to 91 points the teams in the play offs need to win 8 of their last 9 games and Leeds need 7 wins (to get to 92). We need 4 wins....

As has been pointed out, most of the teams have to play at least 2 others of the teams in the play off zone.

Can anyone see Leeds winning 7 of their last 9 games or anyone else winning 8 of their last 9 games? Factor in that 2 of the teams below us need that kind of running then we look in a very strong position.

All this assumes that we don''t totally blow up of course. Even a dip in form would still see us win 3 or 4 of our remaining games....We should win at least 3 of our home games and we should really win 4 taking into account our form so far this season!

As some one else pointed out on another post the average points for finishing second over the last 7 seasons has been 88. 

2pts per game is a very good total - so far in this we are the only team to do this and of those around the play off spot only Millwall are on a run like that.  Even if they sustain that they "only" get to 89 point.

3 wins for us should be enough to get promotion;  from here we will get more than 90 points given the run in we have after Leeds.

Great so based on all thsi good stuff, does someone care to suggest at what game promotion will be confirmed??? Got to be Orient away for me assuming we win our next 5 and MIllwall/Leeds loose/draw a couple....

[quote user="shefcanary"]So SDP can edit his own posts, but we mere plebs can''t![/quote]Lol [:$] yeah.

You do realise that fans of every other club in the country would look at a club in our position in a league table starting a thread like this and say "What the f*** are they worrying about!?"

It''s the equivilent of looking at Newcastle starting such a thread in the champiosnhip!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

You do realise that fans of every other club in the country would look at a club in our position in a league table starting a thread like this and say "What the f*** are they worrying about!?"

It''s the equivilent of looking at Newcastle starting such a thread in the champiosnhip!

[/quote]

Who cares what others think, I don''t.