Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Manny Smith & Incumbents Gary Doherty and Michael Nelson

I had to Google what "Incumbents" means. I read the article in the EDP on Manny Smith and initially thought, how dare the reporter call them incumbent. But it means "currently holding office". No worries, I thought it sounded like a clumsy word, perhaps suited to Doc when he has his "arms all over" moments.

Don''t think we need Manny Smith, it''s confusing enough with two Martins on the pitch, and someone called Hughes who keeps changing appearance every season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Seems to me that he''s leaving nothing to chance.  Bad runs of injuries happen.  Fair play to Lambert if we can afford cover.[/quote]Note to self - read the article before posting [:)]...

If this is true I think we can possibility infer a couple of things.

1. He views Michael Spillane as a right back, rather than a centre half in the long term. Which I also think is his best position.

2 Doc might leave on a free in the summer (I really hope not. I have been one his fiercest critics but he has made me eat my words this season)

3 He doesnt view Nelson as a championship player (if we get there) even as cover. (Much more likely I think, he has been great this season but the way he got done for pace at Oldham did not bode well for snext eason)

However like most rumours, it is probably just some of the brown spreadable stuff. But my 2 cents anyways

a pacey centre back will allow us to press much higher up the pitch and not be exposed as on day one, he''s looking ahead.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Does Lambert rate Askou? Because he seems to prefer Nelson who also isn''t the quickest.

[/quote]

On the contrary I think he rates Askou highly. Before the injury Doc and Nelson were battling it out to start alongside him. But Lambert is a fair manager. Since Askou been injured Nelson and Doherty have done the business and they have been a constant in our continued good form. So unless one of them has a bit of nightmare it is on right they keep their place particularly as Askou picked up a nasty injury and has been out since December. So it will take him time to get up to speed as well.