Sign in to follow this  
Marty

I think we missed Gary Holt!

Let''s face it many people have been wanting to see a change in the centre of the midfield and today we had one, let''s hope Francis and Holt recover pretty quickly, maybe people will lay off Holt a bit now and realise his worth. We had two so called passers in the midfield today and it didn''t serve us very well, what we could have done with today is a more physical midfield. Also, why don''t we play McVeigh on the right because Bentley is very mediocre? 

Odd how people change their tune so suddenly. I''ll admit i''m one of the ones who is not a fan of Holts. I''ll also say that I wish him all the best with his injury and hopes he recovers soon, but...

the harsh reality is he is not good enough for us. He was great a few seasons back but that''s the thing - it was a few seasons back. We are talking now, not then. So much for needing a striker in January, we need another class midfielder to partner Francis. I don''t care which players read this board, Holt is not the man.

We didn''t miss Holt today. We missed and lacked quality and that''s why we lost.

I dont agree with the Gary Holt part. He would not have added much to todays performance how he has been playing. I think it is about time he got a rest. I wish him a speedy recovery back to fitness though. Damien Francis is another matter though. The last two games have proved what a crucial player he is to us. He would have made a massive difference today as a lot of the time our midfield was totally overpowered by the likes of Diop and McBride. RE Bentley, all i have to say is OVERATED. Have not seen anything of him that is impressive yet. Not sure if he is totally committed to the cause and he should be dropped for the Bolton match

[quote]Let''s face it many people have been wanting to see a change in the centre of the midfield and today we had one, let''s hope Francis and Holt recover pretty quickly, maybe people will lay off Holt a bit...[/quote]

Since when has helveg been called a passer?

He has apart from last sat against birmingham second half been classed as a defender i thought?

In my opinion had Gary been fit he wouldn''t have done any better than those on show. I would still like to see Francis and Safri together in midfield.

Totally agree, you guys have hit the nail on the head,

fact,

we were total ****  all over the park today & we lacked any midfield presence, get fit holt & francis  ASAP,  if someone dosent kick our defence up the arse & forces them up field we are in for the same each match, it all points to a lack of pace in the back four, to scared to push up because we have no pace to cover the ball played in behind. FIZZY LEAGUE HERE WE COME!!   

have to agree with pete, most of all yesterday we missed francis, but no one was individually at fault, we have to face it, as unpalatable as it is, we are not good enough for this league, it is fact, and i wish i could see it differently

holt is not the whole team, but i don''t think if he had been playing he would have made any difference - we were poor generally across the park, but for a few greeno heroics, it would have been worse

quite honestly the worst display i have seen all season, not through want of trying, just the gulf in class is too great for us, we held out in hope that when we played the so called easier teams we would pick up some points - yeah well we haven''t!  I wish, how i wish i could put on rose coloured specs, but i have never done that

last christmas we had hucks as a pressie, this year, i don''t know - as i see it  we could try and improve the coaching techniques, and play the best person for the position - if available

all in all  a very sad day for our club

Missed Gary Holt... Are you kidding me!! He has been awful this season and he needs a rest. Having said that I wish him all the best and a speedy return to fitness. We did miss Francis. He is our main man in midfield and Diop would not have had such an easy afternoon had we had Francis in the side.

we didn''t miss holt agianst southampton did we? francis is the main man. i would still chose helveg/mulryne/safri over holt. great in div 1-not made the grade in the prem.

[quote]Odd how people change their tune so suddenly. I''ll admit i''m one of the ones who is not a fan of Holts. I''ll also say that I wish him all the best with his injury and hopes he recovers soon, but... t...[/quote]

No Alex, I have not changed my tune, please get your facts right before making such a comment.

It seems odd to me that now Francis has a few goals to his name he is the best thing since sliced bread, don''t get me wrong I think he has a lot of potential, but surely a few weeks back people were critisizing him too? Francis is not the finished example, neither is Holt, however I think them two would have made a difference in a highly winable game where we had very little to show in midfield.

I am also suprised at how little people are commenting on Bentley''s average displays, what we need is a good right winger to match our great left winger. I''d rather see Cooper still playing for us, he was a genuine good winger with lots of guts, something we are lacking.

Pete is spot on when he says we missed francis; his ability to get forward and support the strikers was the bit we really missed. It takes the opponents midfield with them releiving pressure on the defence. Not once did Mullers get forward and offer any support to the front two who were more and more isolated as the game went on.

I cant fathom the support for Mullers. Typically he has a good game when he started, albeit against a very very poor soton side, and then reverts to type and disappears from the game and mis-places passes in a manner that Holt would have looked good against, yet Worthy gets booed for taking him off.

Helveg is simply too good for this side. His passing was good until he gets to try and create when its a good pass made to look bad due to poor quality movement offered by the front two. Sven is immobile and while Leon moves it is usually to chase a ball rather than create or move into space.

Mullers and Helveg does not give us enough central midfield energy, nor does replacing Mullers with Safri - all are too defencive and have inadequate pace at this level. A pairing of Helveg with Francis currently seems our best combination.

OTBC