Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

My First match report!

I know there are alot of these floating around today and thats testement to how many people were there. Amazing support, with the entire stand packed, and whats more everyone standing and singing for the entire match, even after the first free minutes.Anyway the match. We started poorly and the early goal certainly didnt help us compose ourselves. Much like the home leg of this fixture Huddersfield used our flanks very effectively with them finding buckets of space down both the right and left, certainly at times it was frustrating seeing the Norwich defence allow players run on the overlap unchallenged and certainly we looked to be in some trouble. Another problem was that for the first 30 minutes or so we resorted to long ball tactics which was not effective, with both Nelson, Doc, Rose and Russel all guilty of hoofing it forward. Holt was being very well marked and Martin appeared reluctant to challenge in the air so it looked like it would  lead to very little. It was only towards the end of the half when we started to play it on the floor that we started to show some promise. Half time and we had improved but deserved to be 1 down.Second half and we came out flying! I was happy to see us take the game to Huddersfield and found that our flowing passing game was very effective, what was also intresting is that both Russell and Smith took advantage of the space in the middle of the pitch and we soon started to look good for a goal. Matin was taken off for Elliot, which I though looked to be a good decission as he was struggling to make use of the chances he was given. The first goal happened with an exellent cut back from Wes that laid it on a plate for Holt to power home. After that a very dodgey back pass very nearly put them straight back in front, we once again turned on the passing with Wes, Smith and Russell linking very well in the middle and using the space well and then producing a very similar goal to the first to put us ahead! By this point we were looking more and more like we were going to go on to dominate the game and this happened with Norwich having the better of the play for the last 15 and then once again scoring with a great run from Lapping into the box and a cut back that Elliot slotted into the back of the next for his second. All in all a result that felt great, but was hard fought for.Key points.Half time team talk worked wonders we came out much better in the second halfNelson was good (despite me being an Askou fan) and the Doc improved with the game.... just a shame he didnt put that volley in the next!Rose, despite his lack of skill, is a real pitbull and chased the ball relentlessly. Was much better in the second half and was starting to pass and link well rather than hoofing it in panic!Elliot looks a good player making good runs and was in the right place at the right time for his two.... read the game well

Im struggling to understand the love for Nelson today. Far too much hoofing from him for my liking. Doc regularly tried to play the ball out of defence through Russell and Smith, where us Nelson just resorted to booting it towards Holt and 9 times out of 10 it came straight back at us...

Indeed the booting was a problem, but I thought it stopped and we improved in the second half... both Doc and Nelson picked it up in the second with them playing their part! I loved them playing up to the crowds ''Oles'' at the end passing between each other!

Thankyou Birchfest, great report[Y]

It was missing a few Peronis though[B][B][B]Are you the Ricardo of the travelling fans[:^)]

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thankyou Birchfest, great report[Y]

It was missing a few Peronis though[B][B][B]Are you the Ricardo of the travelling fans[:^)]

[;)]

[/quote]No peronis, but a couple of cans on the train up and a bottle of Calsberg before kick off did the trick! [:)]