Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Our reputation is killing other teams

The way we have won so many games late on reminds me of Man U or Chelsea in the Prem. Not the football we play but the way that being us creates a self fulfilling prophesy at the end of a match.

There are 20 minutes to go. It''s 1-0 to the oppo. That''s when the mind games start. They know we are fit, they know we are going to come at them strongly. And then it happens because we know it too and they panic, withdraw, make mistakes.

Lovely.

I felt that strongly having seen the results at Yeovil yesterday. How could a team who were SO dire when they played us last week, score four yesterday (albeit at home)? I really think they felt they''d lost it before they came - and the comments of their manager after the game would suggest that too.

It''s interesting to think that while we''ve been ''bigging'' up yesterday''s and the next two games as tricky ones, I''m guessing from other teams'' points of view, we are the trickiest!

It''s an odd feeling for a Norwich fan!

This is a very valid point!

It''s down to ''Directional Thinking'' (or ''Dominant Thought Theory'') - regardless of their pre-match fighting talk; at a subconscious level the opposition passively accept the inevitability of it all...and capitulate anyway!

S''good innit?

PS: I am part of a team providing professional training on this very subject for business and sport.

I can''t remember any time in my 40 years of following City where we have been so good at turning games around. Yes I think that is partly to do with opposition mindset. But equally we now have a manager who doesn''t see why we should ever settle for a draw. Brighton, Southend, Huddersfield.................we are losing, then we get level. And every time we push on, and get, the winner. That''s our mindset. Lots of teams would be happy to have retrieved something from the game but Lambert seems to have introduced a new culture to The Canaries. The players believe everything they want is achievable. Add this to the fact that we are probably fitter than most other teams in the division - I think it means the opposition simply panics and folds.

I''d be interested in finding out if lambert is a fan of Mohamed Ali. We seem to Rope a dope some of our opponents.  Let them run themselves out and then kill them off.  We certainly are floating like a butterfly at present.

Is Paul lambert a candidate the ''The Greatest?'' 

I was thinking of this Man U type effect too that gives us this unflinching belief that we will score, whatever the situation. I''ve mentioned many times how Lambert reminds me of Ferguson and i don''t think it''s a coincidence that our team responds in a similar way to Ferguson''s team. He obviously has been heavily influenced by Martin O''Neill while at Celtic but it''s the way that he handles his players and his team in public that reminds me of Ferguson. He takes all the pressure off them, gives belief and confidence and that is half the game.

Someone on canarycall made a good point yesterday , basically saying that in this league the opposition teams huff and puff for half an hour , then we go in for the kill and demolish em .

Hardly surprising is it?The real test will come in seeing if they can do the same against half decent opposition week in week out next season.

[quote user="Smudger"]Hardly surprising is it?

The real test will come in seeing if they can do the same against half decent opposition week in week out next season.
[/quote]

Actually after the last few seasons, it is very surprising.

And yes, as is blatantly obvious, the test will come against better opposition.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/ptsgain.html

We''ve won 5 games from losing positions and drawn 4 but whats most impressive is we''ve come back from losing positions in the second half to win 4 games and draw  a further 4.

It''s incredible how many crucial goals we score in the last 25 mins of games.

However next season teams will match us for fitness, won''t concede as many sloppy goals and will punish us far more harshly when we''re off our game.

[quote user="Smudger"]Hardly surprising is it?

The real test will come in seeing if they can do the same against half decent opposition week in week out next season.
[/quote]

That''s the real point isn''t it, this is league 3 after all, yes the teams are poorer genrally in comparison to the CCC and the PL, but we are here on merit.  I have actually enjoyed this season far more than last, it''s good to see our team grinding out results no matter how well they play.

IF we get promoted then it will be most interesting to see who stays and who leaves the club.  I feel we are in for an interesting time [:)]

I think at half time, Lambert sends Holty into the opposition dressing room. Then holty throws his weight about, offers a few them outside and threatens physical harm to anyone who doesn''t bottle it in the last 20 mins of the game.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Hardly surprising is it?The real test will come in seeing if they can do the same against half decent opposition week in week out next season.[/quote]

That''s the real point isn''t it, this is league 3 after all, yes the teams are poorer genrally in comparison to the CCC and the PL, but we are here on merit.  I have actually enjoyed this season far more than last, it''s good to see our team grinding out results no matter how well they play.

IF we get promoted then it will be most interesting to see who stays and who leaves the club.  I feel we are in for an interesting time [:)]

[/quote]Is certainly interesting WAY... [;)]It has been an enjoyable season on the whole.  Beats the last few seasons of dire rubbish by a long way, but I think that many are forgetting the quality of the opposition that we are up against.Several of our players will be unable to deliver at a higher level in my opinion while others have what it takes deliver at the higher end of the Championship.I tried to get a price from the bookies today for back to back promotion... why do they always try to laugh you out of the shop when they can''t give you a price and are scared to take your bet???The summer will be very interesting indeed... especially if somebody like Mr Fernandes decides that they would like to invest!Maybe he is trying to get a price off the bookies too before he puts his money on the Carrow Road boardroom table?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/ptsgain.html

We''ve won 5 games from losing positions and drawn 4 but whats most impressive is we''ve come back from losing positions in the second half to win 4 games and draw  a further 4.It''s incredible how many crucial goals we score in the last 25 mins of games.

However next season teams will match us for fitness, won''t concede as many sloppy goals and will punish us far more harshly when we''re off our game.

[/quote]I agree with everything that you say here Trent... [Y]

I bumped into a Yeovil fan whilst having a pint in the George in Dereham last week....he latched onto my City shirt

His take on it (which is probably about right) is that teams like Yeovil spend a lot of energy simply trying to stop us.  They may manage it for 70 or 80 minutes but then they run out of gas and we just steamroller them.  Theres also the psycological fact that even if you take the lead in injury time, Norwich have the strength to still hit back before the final whistle

As said elsewhere the big test will be next season

I think your right!

Yeovil just turned up, walked on the pitch and rolled over!

Lowestoft would of given us a harder game!

They reminded me of how we were for 3/4''s of the Premiership season where we showed to much respect for teams and it wasn''t until we went at ManU and beat them that we learned that if we had a proper go at teams we could beat them!

We certainly have a winning mentality which most other teams below us don''t. That is what normally turns a team into title winners!

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

I bumped into a Yeovil fan whilst having a pint in the George in Dereham last week....he latched onto my City shirt

His take on it (which is probably about right) is that teams like Yeovil spend a lot of energy simply trying to stop us.  They may manage it for 70 or 80 minutes but then they run out of gas and we just steamroller them.  Theres also the psycological fact that even if you take the lead in injury time, Norwich have the strength to still hit back before the final whistle

As said elsewhere the big test will be next season

[/quote]

This is true BH. I disctinctly remember us trying to do the same in the Prem. We matched and shut out Spurs and Liverpool for about 70 mins then went on to lose 2-0 in the last 20 minutes or so. There were other games that went a similar way that season too - hence not winning any of the first 14.

Regarding the original post, it seems the likes of Man U and Chelski also get some extra help with confounding amounts of added minutes at the end of games they are losing.

Everyone is thinking 3 or 4 and the fellow on the sidelines holds up 6 minutes and then the ref doesn''t stop the game until well past that unless the big team has already scored.