we have 78 points

Possible totals of others

101 - Leeds

96 - Charlton

95 - Millwall

96 - Colchester

96 - Swindon

18 points needed

If we get 12 more points from our remaining games Charlton need to win 8 and draw 1 of their remaining 10 and it ain''t gonna happen.

[quote user="First Jedi"]12 games to go, we needed 6 wins... it was a good estimate at the time. Still is! I reckon we only need 4...[/quote]Can''t see anyone else getting 90 points.In fact 2nd position will likely only need 85 to 87.4 wins will be more than enough.

probably less as

Charlton have -

Huddersfield

MKDons

S''oton

Colchester

Leeds and Us

Millwall have -

Huddersfield

Colchester

Swindon

Huddersfield

Swindon have -

S''oton

Leeds

Colchester

Millwall and us

Colchester have -

Millwall

Swindon

Charlton

Huddersfield

I would suggest that each will take points off each other, bringing it down to four wins or less. That assumes they WIN all their other games !

Promotion to be gained at Orient

Title at Charlton

[quote user="City1st"]probably less as Charlton have - Huddersfield MKDons S''oton Colchester Leeds and Us Millwall have - Huddersfield Colchester Swindon Huddersfield Swindon have - S''oton Leeds Colchester Millwall and us Colchester have - Millwall Swindon Charlton Huddersfield I would suggest that each will take points off each other, bringing it down to four wins or less. That assumes they WIN all their other games ! Promotion to be gained at Orient Title at Charlton[/quote]

"Promotion to be gained at Orient"

That would bring back some memories!

That''s why I keep that dream alive.

Charlton to wipe off the stain off last year.

Wherever, it will not be as at Vicarage Road. Must have been the largest City away support bar a cup final.

[quote user="City1st"]That''s why I keep that dream alive.

Charlton to wipe off the stain off last year.

Wherever, it will not be as at Vicarage Road. Must have been the largest City away support bar a cup final.[/quote]Why not?  We could get more than that in at Charlton potentially.We also had a larger away following than Watford only a month earlier when we took 8,000 plus to Crystal Palace that season.

" We also had a larger away following than Watford only a month earlier when we took 8,000 plus to Crystal Palace that season.

I can assure you Smudger WE DID NOT take 8000 to Palace.

Who told you we did ?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="City1st"]That''s why I keep that dream alive. Charlton to wipe off the stain off last year. Wherever, it will not be as at Vicarage Road. Must have been the largest City away support bar a cup final.[/quote]

Why not?  We could get more than that in at Charlton potentially.

We also had a larger away following than Watford only a month earlier when we took 8,000 plus to Crystal Palace that season.
[/quote]

Are we talking about the same season Smudger?  Us oldies are referring to 1971/72 when we won promotion at Orient then took about 17,000 to Watford to win the League.

Depends who we win against i suppose, wins against Leeds and Charlton are effectively worth 6 points and will pretty much send us up unless we cock it up bigtime against the clubs in the bottom half. But i don''t think Lambert is the sort to let that happen - best manager we''ve had for a very long time.OTBC!

For me three wins will ensure promotion.

Consider this: in ten games can you see any of the inconsistent chasing pack suddenly winning FOUR more games than us plus overhauling our goal difference?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="First Jedi"]12 games to go, we needed 6 wins... it was a good estimate at the time. Still is! I reckon we only need 4...[/quote]Can''t see anyone else getting 90 points.In fact 2nd position will likely only need 85 to 87.4 wins will be more than enough.[/quote]

I''ve been on the 90 trail for ages. 4 more for us. Lets fill the City with Yellow and Green again...

The way I see it is that teams will typically achieve somewhere between their current form and their season form. Obviously, sometimes teams will go on a good run or a bad run, but form is a good way to get a picture of how things will pan out. The below is taken from http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/runin.html:

Current

Position
Team Current Points Matches to Play Maximum Possible Points Highest Possible Finish Lowest Possible Finish Projected Points
Season Form Recent Form
1 Norwich City 78 10 108 1 11 99 100
2 Leeds United 71 10 101 1 18 90 83
3 Charlton Athletic 66 10 96 1 22 84 79
4 Millwall 65 10 95 1 22 83 88
5 Colchester United 63 11 96 1 22 82.8 81.7
6 Swindon Town 63 11 96 1 22 82.8 81.7
7 Huddersfield Town 58 10 88 1 23 74 71
This suggests to me that 90 points would be more than enough for promotion and should be enough to win the league. Even more interesting is that Leeds might struggle to keep 2nd place ahead of Millwall. Now I know that a lot can change but Millwall are on a superb run of form and Leeds are struggling at the moment.

It sucks the way the form to post stuff on this forum adds html in the background...

"4,000 at Watford and I dont think they would give us any more."

eh ?

Try reading the post above, There was easily 17000 (seventeen thousand) of us there

[quote user="City1st"]"4,000 at Watford and I dont think they would give us any more."

eh ?

Try reading the post above, There was easily 17000 (seventeen thousand) of us there[/quote]Was this in 71/72 season?Are you sure?  Two of you have posted it so there must be some truth to it, but surely 17,000 would of been Watford''s entire ground pretty much back then wouldn''t it?In our last promotion to the Premiership we defo had 8,000+ away fans when we played Crystal Palace at Selhurst, we were given all of their Arthur Wait Stand officially an it was rumoured that we had close on the 10,000 mark there in all that day with many of us in some of their ends too When we played Watford just after being promoted to the Premiership, we must of had 5,800 there officially with a few hundred more in the home ends.

Hello Smudger

It was the last game of the season and we needed a point to win the League.

Watford, who were already relegated, had an average attendance of around 5,000.

The attendance was more 22,000 and I can''t actually remember seeing many Watford fans at all.

It wasn''t an all ticket game so we''ll never know for sure how many Norwich fans were there.

The next largest away following for a league game must have been at Sheffield Wednesday when we lost but still got promoted.  We filled the whole Leppings Lane end and one terraced corner, so I would think there were more than 10,000 there

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

Hello Smudger

It was the last game of the season and we needed a point to win the League.

Watford, who were already relegated, had an average attendance of around 5,000.

The attendance was more 22,000 and I can''t actually remember seeing many Watford fans at all.

It wasn''t an all ticket game so we''ll never know for sure how many Norwich fans were there.

The next largest away following for a league game must have been at Sheffield Wednesday when we lost but still got promoted.  We filled the whole Leppings Lane end and one terraced corner, so I would think there were more than 10,000 there

[/quote]Thanks for that mate.I had heard of the estimated 12,000 or so for the Sheff Weds game at Hillsborough in 1982.Never heard of the estimated 17,000 at Watford before though.It would be great if anybody had some old pictures or news reports of this for us younger supporters to look at.   I wasn''t even born then! lol

" but surely 17,000 would of been Watford''s entire ground pretty much back then wouldn''t it? "

I think you''ve got that rather back to front Smudger, Capacities were much higher then. It is only in the last few years that we have seen such low capacities.

Remember City got 44,000 packed in the old stands. Anyone who was at the 1-0 at home to Palace at the end of 73 will remember taht the crowd figure of 30,000 was way under. I have never seen so many at Carrow Road.

Sheff Weds was not that packed if I remember but the joy was you could go into the local pub have a few pints of froth (with an inch of beer underneath, how the northerners like it) then wander down to the game and get in, without any of that ticket shite. Abiding memopry was all the norther monkeys on the pitch and the end taunting us behind a line of coppers. The result from Shrewsbury was late and it was presumed taht leicester had won so taking of promotion spot. When it filtered through on the radio that it was 0-0 the place erupted.

Watford saw everyone I know interested in the club head down to Watford. Again no ticket shite. We started to fill up the end opposite THEIR end (the Rookery). Chucking with rain. Various lads running onto the pitch to put balloons onto the centre spot - chased off by coppers. Then it just happened. A load of City fans ran at the Watford lot and ''took their end'' (important in those days). As we were in the rain we all followed. Thousands running across the pitch for quite a while. The ground seemed to be covered with yellow and green.

With a few minutes to go the touchlines were covered with fans waiting to race onto the pitch. Fantastic memories that for many reasons will not be replicated in football again.

According to ''Canary Citizens'' the home attendance against C Palace in 1973 was 36,668.

Dave Stringer scored the winner in the last minute and my father claimed to have heard the roar of the crowd in Poringland.

I had forgotten about the scenes at the end of the Watford game (see City 1st''s post) but I now recasll that the ball wouldn''t go out of play because of Norwich fans lining the touchline.  The referee was telling the players to get as near to the tunnel as possible before he blew the final whistle.

Oh, by the way Smudger.  Thanks for making me feel very old!

[quote user="City1st"]" but surely 17,000 would of been Watford''s entire ground pretty much back then wouldn''t it? "

I think you''ve got that rather back to front Smudger, Capacities were much higher then. It is only in the last few years that we have seen such low capacities.

Remember City got 44,000 packed in the old stands. Anyone who was at the 1-0 at home to Palace at the end of 73 will remember taht the crowd figure of 30,000 was way under. I have never seen so many at Carrow Road.

Sheff Weds was not that packed if I remember but the joy was you could go into the local pub have a few pints of froth (with an inch of beer underneath, how the northerners like it) then wander down to the game and get in, without any of that ticket shite. Abiding memopry was all the norther monkeys on the pitch and the end taunting us behind a line of coppers. The result from Shrewsbury was late and it was presumed taht leicester had won so taking of promotion spot. When it filtered through on the radio that it was 0-0 the place erupted.

Watford saw everyone I know interested in the club head down to Watford. Again no ticket shite. We started to fill up the end opposite THEIR end (the Rookery). Chucking with rain. Various lads running onto the pitch to put balloons onto the centre spot - chased off by coppers. Then it just happened. A load of City fans ran at the Watford lot and ''took their end'' (important in those days). As we were in the rain we all followed. Thousands running across the pitch for quite a while. The ground seemed to be covered with yellow and green.

With a few minutes to go the touchlines were covered with fans waiting to race onto the pitch. Fantastic memories that for many reasons will not be replicated in football again.[/quote]Remember it well Ron. I was bloody soaked to the skin because it rained hard all afternoon. When we rushed across the pitch to take the covered end you could see the Watford fans run. It was like the parting of the Red Sea.What a load of hooligans we all were in those days

We went down on a local coach. Everyone knew everyone, you could drink on the coaches in those days, even the coach driver had a pint in Newmarket.They also had the word ''luxury'' written on the side.

A few of the ''old guard'' were aboard so we sung most of the way down, no pecking at little square boxes like demented woodpeckers. Scarves were hung out of every window. At Royston (I think) two local ypbs had been seen putting the V''s up at the coach. The door was opened at the next set of lights and a few jumped off the coach and gave chase. We waited up the road until they returned.

The shirts (red) were thrown to the crowd afterwards. Ironically enough I believe that Watford secured safety from relegatioin at Carrow Road two seasons before. I ran onto the pitch on that day, after the game.

Sounds like you have some truly great memories there boys???Nice to hear these tales.The early memories I have of Vicarage Road are of it being a ramshackle place of various stands joined together (pretty similar to one side of their ground still these days but all the way around).  I have no idea how many they tried to cram in back then but understand they had just a big plain bank or hill similar to what we had up the River End many moons ago?

My limited understanding of football back then is that average attendances were lower on the whole (although they may have been slightly higher at some lower league clubs) but they did get bigger crowds for many of the bigger games due to cramming people in on the crowded terraces?  I guess some of the biggest crowds were in the 50''s, 60''s and early 70''s and fell away a bit then due to crowd trouble, accidents and various reports resulting in a change to the type of stadia and matchday we have today.  Anybody else with a story of Watford 72, or Sheff Weds 82 to share?