Sign in to follow this  
LinkNR9

Another Crouchy Rumour

According to the Gossip Column on the BBC Football web site, Worthy has made Peter Crouch his number one transfer target in January. Can''t see it myself; Beattie will be on his way to another club, so the Saints can''t afford to let another striker leave. Also, they''ll want more than the £1.2m that we can afford, bearing in mind he cost £2m only 6 months ago. 

To be perfectly honest after seeing Crouchy come on for Southampton a few weeks ago I''m not so sure he''s up to the job, if the two shortest centre backs in the prem can stop him scoring then is he really what we want?

I''d still like Harewood given the choice!!

Yep, I cant see Crouch coming either. Who Worthy wants and who Worthy gets are two totally different propositions - also, £1.2m on a striker is all well and good, but with Premiership wages to fork out too....... I for one am not getting my hopes up regarding signings in January in the same way I did pre-season!

No no no no no. We need to learn to pass more and concentrate on getting the front players to create sapce rather than run after mis placed passes.

Buying Crouch would only encourage the high ball up front again and we wont progress as a club until we abandon this as our preferred tactic. Use it as part of a balanced passing approach but not 9/10 passes forward.

OTBC

Crouch as is well documented is better with the ball to feet.Something Worthy well knows.

Does he have a long lost brother with a similar build who can defend well?  I wouldn''t mind one of those...

If you think about it, that sounds a bit like Malky but with some pace.

Who can we afford thats better?

Ashton will now be about 3m +.

Harewood - even the West Ham fans think he isnt up to much.

After not performing for the Saints they might cut there losses and let him go for under £1.5 m.

A key criteria for any new signing is that he has to be better than the players already at the club.

Crouch is no better than either Sven or Leon and his strike record is not fantastic at Prem level. To me this would be a case of buying a player because we know him and can rather than making the team better.

I would rather buy/loan a central midfielder to sit alongside Francis than buy a striker like crouch who will add little to the club.

OTBC

[quote]According to the Gossip Column on the BBC Football web site, Worthy has made Peter Crouch his number one transfer target in January. Can''t see it myself; Beattie will be on his way to another club, so...[/quote]

We need a bloody miracle, and that ain''t Crouch!, sorry Link.

What really gets me is the amount Nigel has to spend?

As he was quoted on Saturday as saying that he couldnt find the striker he wanted in the summer so that amount went into the pot for January? So how come the amount the club is quoting is the 1.2 million saved due to the share issue? Where has this amount gone surely if it was for a striker it would have been at least 500K? 

Sorry keelansglove but i disagree with you on this one. to be honest i weren''t that impressed with him last season when he was on loan. he only managed 4 goals for us in the amount of games he played, and that was in the first division. i think that although McKenzie hasn''t been scoring this season he has looked dangerous and caused problems for a lot of teams. svensson''s form has been somewhat indifferent to say the least, but on his day is capable of doing just as good a job as crouchy if not better.

top of my list would be ashton if we were to get a new striker, however i can''t see it happening. harewood would be second for me (saw him against sunderland and he looked sharp, scored a good goal too. anyone else see it?) and he is a more realistic target. if worthy had any sense he would have made a deal for him when malky joined the hammers.

we''ll just have to wait and see what santa brings us