Sign in to follow this  
JF

Beckford wins League 1 player of the season.

ha, not what the Leeds fans seem to think of him of late, still would rather be top than have the ''best'' player in the league in our team.

This isn''t anti-Leeds just for the sake of it but I honestly don''t think Beckford is the very best player in this division.

Well that''s good news for us if they are giving out player of the season awards it must mean the season is over.

Mind you silly old me thought it still had a quarter to go, shows what I know.

[quote user="morty"]This isn''t anti-Leeds just for the sake of it but I honestly don''t think Beckford is the very best player in this division.
[/quote]

As I''ve said elsewhere, Leeds must be kicking themselves for not cashing in on the Newcastle bid in January. he''s done sod all since (other than destabilise the squad) and will leave on a free in the summer whether they go up or not, as he clearly feels that he''s cut out for bigger things.

[quote user="morty"]This isn''t anti-Leeds just for the sake of it but I honestly don''t think Beckford is the very best player in this division.[/quote]I think it will look pretty silly if Leeds miss out on an auto. Beckford hasn''t been playing well since the begining of January. It''s obvious he has signed a pre-contractual agreement with another team and that he knows he doesn''t have to impress anymore.I even think Snodgrass is more important to them than him.Not overly fussed by this though, its the same as the player and manager of the months award - it doesn''t mean a lot to me. Its just some crazy award that they hand out but the biggest and best award is points on the board - no one can argue with that.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Is it not for the year rather than the season?[/quote]I think so but then Hoolahoop getting second based on 4 or 5 months of it also makes a bit of a mockery too.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="morty"]This isn''t anti-Leeds just for the sake of it but I honestly don''t think Beckford is the very best player in this division.[/quote]

As I''ve said elsewhere, Leeds must be kicking themselves for not cashing in on the Newcastle bid in January. he''s done sod all since (other than destabilise the squad) and will leave on a free in the summer whether they go up or not, as he clearly feels that he''s cut out for bigger things.

[/quote]Very niave on their part really, surely someone at Leeds must have had the experience to know that once a players head is turned you may as well let him go.

The whole thing is stupid....

The month Hoolahan/Holt (not sure which one) won League one player of the month, the other one won Norwich player of the month....

but Beckford is crap....

I''m not surprised he''s won it.

I''d rather watch Hoolahan play but Beckford is the main headline grabber in this league.

Maybe not the neatest and tidiest outside the penalty box and he might be on a poor run of form at the moment but he''s always a dangerous player to play against.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Is it not for the year rather than the season?[/quote]

Dont think so its League 1 Player Of The Season, and it wouldve been awarded in Dec/Jan if it were for the year I would imagine...

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Is it not for the year rather than the season?[/quote]

Dont think so its League 1 Player Of The Season, and it wouldve been awarded in Dec/Jan if it were for the year I would imagine...

[/quote]

No it''s definitely the FourFourTwo Player of the Year award for League One, which does seem rather daft, bit like having dessert before moving on to the rest of your main...

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[/quote]

No it''s definitely the FourFourTwo Player of the Year award for League One, which does seem rather daft, bit like having dessert before moving on to the rest of your main...

[/quote]Yeah am reather confused by this! When i saw it i thought they must of meant player of the season as we are only in March and the award is for 2010!

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh right fair enough, it does seem strange!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]It''s laughable. Holt has scored the same amount of league goals as Beckford (21) but has 11 assists to Beckford''s 5. They couldn''t have it without a Leeds player winning an award could they![/quote]

None of Holt''s have come from penalties, either.

It is a joke as if you ask Leeds fans who has been their best player this season, I would put money Kisnorbo would win by quite some distance.

Blimey bit shocked by this TBF although Beckford was better at the start of the season, he''s not all that now and hasn''t been since about January.  Sooner be top of the league than have player of the season.

Way it''s no coincednce that Beckford was probably amoung the best players until January and still won the award considering according to the link below the awards are decided in January.

What''s the betting that the decision was hioghly influenced by his goals against Manure and Spurs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2010/03/nolan_award_highlights_newcast.html#200552

Davo

It''s probably worth bearing in mind that awards are used by businesses to promote their product. The Football League are probably happy to use Beckford to market League 1, and bring in new sponsers etc. Beckford is arguably more familiar to people who do not follow the Football League. Partly due to Leeds''s cup run on the telly, and also numerous column inches of transfer speculation in the media linking him to top flight sides. Personally, I''m enjoying the media gawping over Leeds as they choke.

There''s only one trophy of any consequence in league 1, and all our contenders will be fired up in a few weeks to make sure they take home the prize that is earned on the pitch not voted for round a table.

Obviously disappointed Wes or Holty didn''t get it....but it really p1sses me off when they announce awards this early in the season! Still 10 games left, some have a lot more, season does not finish until end of May? What a load of tosh, hope stay in L! for another year!