Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Reserves v P'Bro on Weds..the back 4

With Zak Whitbread apparantly ready to play in the reserve match this coming Wednesday vs Peterbro, we face the extrordinary situation of potentially fielding what many may consider to be our first choice back four of , Spillane  Askou  Whitbread Drury in a reserve game.   (would you rather this or yesterday''s back 4 in the championship next season?!)

My question is which if any will Lambert bring back into the team before the end of the season , or will it take a defeat (or 2) for any to get back in?

My own thoughts are that R.Martin was our weakest link yesterday failing to deal with Huddersfield attacks all afternoon, as for Rose ,whilst he looked better yesterday than two awful performances vs Southampton and Southend ,he still showed there was an error in him with the terrible back pass at 2-1.   I would bring Spillane and Drury in ASAP. Harsh on Nelson as it maybe , Askou is the better player for me, and lastly Whitbread, in the brief glimpses we''ve seen and also from we know from his Millwall days, looks to have a bit of class and I would like to see more of him before this season is over.

Not sure there is a lot between R.Martin & Spillane, we''re yet to see Spillane up against a real pacey winger but I rate him and in time he''ll be a first team regular.

Drury is first choice at left back without a shadow of a doubt but he''ll need competition next season, at 32 he won''t play every game.

Doherty for me is first choice centre back, although Nelson has done well of late i''m not sure he''ll cope at a higher level. That leaves Askou & Whitbread battling to partner the Doc, Askou is a no-nonsense centre half but does get caught out sometimes whilst Whitbread is a more cultured player with a left foot and a little more pace.

In the summer, we definately need left back competition/cover for Drury and perhaps another right back or centre back if Nelson isn''t deemed able to step up.

Well I''ve said it a few times before and I know there''ll be a lot of people who will disagree with me but I still don''t think Spillane will be good enough.

Or at least not good enough to be first choice for a Championship team. If you want someone to have on the bench in League 1 (and maybe in the Championship) then I think he''s alright as backup.

But to be first choice at a club like that this that wants to push forward....I think he''d fall short.

[quote user="GJP"]

like that this that

[/quote]

*like this that

[quote user="Docs Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"]

Russell Martin was excellent going forward and enjoyed acres of space to whip balls in and was no worse defensively than the other three defenders. 

[/quote]

Absolute rubbish - both because he was right in front of me and he annoyed me early on I watched Martin pretty closely yesterday and he actually made his very first tackle in injury time in the first half and immediately gave the ball back to Huddersfield to set up another attack.

The whole of the first half people were going past him absolutely effortlessly. The rest of the defence weren''t great but they were all streets ahead of him.

That would actually be my first choice back four next season. I think they can all step to the plate. It will be fascinating to see how they play together. Its also a reflection of how strong the squad is that Lambert has assembled that we have 8 very competent defenders. (If anyone starts another ''Its Gunny''s Squad'' debate now, please go away)

the whole side looks like it would beat most teams in our league, apart from mcveigh mist of them wud walk into any other side. shows how brilliant our squad is, havent been able to say that in years!

[quote user="UEA Canary"]the whole side looks like it would beat most teams in our league, apart from mcveigh mist of them wud walk into any other side. shows how brilliant our squad is, havent been able to say that in years![/quote]

I agree, I''d fancy that team to finish top 3 in league One.

One interesting point however - no Tudur-Jones ?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]the whole side looks like it would beat most teams in our league, apart from mcveigh mist of them wud walk into any other side. shows how brilliant our squad is, havent been able to say that in years![/quote]

I agree, I''d fancy that team to finish top 3 in league One.

One interesting point however - no Tudur-Jones ?!?

[/quote]

I think he is injured. I''m more suprised Oli and McNamee are starting and Elliot isn''t considered a reserve player.

I feel that both these players are being treated a bit harshly with Oli immediatly behind Elliot in the pecking order without doing anything wrong and McNamee getting dropped when he was arguably our best player in recent weeks.