Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

Canary Call

I am constantly amazed at how often Canary Call is slagged off by the great and the good on here. Yes, of course, you get a few chumps calling in and fans who haven''t been to the match but let''s face it you get many more chumps and downright idiots on here as well as the many who have someting worthwhile and constructive to say. I happen to really enjoy Canary Call. Maybe it''s because I live too far away to get to home matches (although I attend some each season plus as many away games as I can) but I like Neil Adams''s personality and his attitude to each caller and, as I said on here recently when CC and the people who call in were last being slagged off as "numpties" and "muppets", when I''m listening I feel "connected". I am happy to hear any views being expressed whether I nod my head in agreement or shake it in disbelief ! My perfect Saturday early evening is, after a Norwich home win, Canary Call followed by Ricardo''s Match Report all washed down by a chilled bottle of bitter. My only criticism of the programme is that it doesn''t last long enough. I know this post will not be in tune with many on here but, hey, what the hell !

I think the comparison with this forum is particularly apposite because I find that CC provokes the same emotions in me that some posts do, but with the added "colour" of the person''s actual delivery. Who could not, for example, be moved by Tony''s passionate cries from the heart? Ultimately it''s all harmless fun and I think that many of those of us that you see as slagging it off really just see it as an entertaining part of the post match ritual and actually quite like it in much the same way as the Victorians would go to circuses to be shocked by the grotesques.

Good post until you spoilt it by chilling perfectly good bitter.......

I think it depends on your perspective..I only ever listen to CC on the way home from games. And there is nothing more annoying for me than having to listen to someone ring up and give his opinion based on radio commentary or worse from reading the match report in the Pinkun from the previous week (etc).I want to hear what people thought of the game based on what they saw. But those who haven''t seen the game would see it from a different perspective and not be offended to hear the opinion of someone who in theory knows no more or less than they do about the game.

I agree to Alf, maybe the people who slag it off every week so try ringing in to show us how its done.

That''s what the great and the good do on here Alf. If it''s not Canary Call then it''s fans who are to blame because they renew their season tickets, or fans who travel on cabbage to away games all over the country, or fans who won''t get involved in campaigns to remove the latest scapegoat who needs to be "got out". I do often wonder on what level these great and good fans actually support their club.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I think the comparison with this forum is particularly apposite because I find that CC provokes the same emotions in me that some posts do, but with the added "colour" of the person''s actual delivery. Who could not, for example, be moved by Tony''s passionate cries from the heart? Ultimately it''s all harmless fun and I think that many of those of us that you see as slagging it off really just see it as an entertaining part of the post match ritual and actually quite like it in much the same way as the Victorians would go to circuses to be shocked by the grotesques.

[/quote]

Yes, I thought that would provoke some ! Truth is that I can''t stand room temperature bitter so I have to chill it just a little. And I fibbed when I suggested it was only one bottle, usually through to the third by the time I''m listening to CC !

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s what the great and the good do on here Alf. If it''s not Canary Call then it''s fans who are to blame because they renew their season tickets, or fans who travel on cabbage to away games all over the country, or fans who won''t get involved in campaigns to remove the latest scapegoat who needs to be "got out". I do often wonder on what level these great and good fans actually support their club.

[/quote]

Well Nutty if that''s not trying to swing the thread to one of your pet themes I do not know what is[:D]

If callers actually THOUGHT about what they were going to say and stick to the point we might not have 20 Hello Neil how arr you!

If they listened to the answers they might just learn something. Apart from that good fun and all part of the "match day" experience!!!

To support your club it does not really matter if you can get to a game, there are many reasons why people can''t attend, from health to financial to distance, all sorts. As long as 25k are there shouting the team on then that 25k counts for everyone. Perhaps the next match positions are reversed. As long as someone "supports" our club in whatever way they can then they are OK by me

[quote user="Alf Tupper"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Yes, I thought that would provoke some ! Truth is that I can''t stand room temperature bitter so I have to chill it just a little. And I fibbed when I suggested it was only one bottle, usually through to the third by the time I''m listening to CC !

[/quote]

Good man![:D]

A little chilling is perfectly acceptable, but anything more and you might as well drink lager![Y]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Well Nutty if that''s not trying to swing the thread to one of your pet themes I do not know what is[:D]

If callers actually THOUGHT about what they were going to say and stick to the point we might not have 20 Hello Neil how arr you!

If they listened to the answers they might just learn something. Apart from that good fun and all part of the "match day" experience!!!

To support your club it does not really matter if you can get to a game, there are many reasons why people can''t attend, from health to financial to distance, all sorts. As long as 25k are there shouting the team on then that 25k counts for everyone. Perhaps the next match positions are reversed. As long as someone "supports" our club in whatever way they can then they are OK by me

[/quote]

OMG you''ve opened Pandora''s box again. See you in about 20 pages![;)]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well that didn''t take long for you to read something into my post that wasn''t there did it Butler[:^)]

It''s quite possible to support your club without going to games. Surely even the thickest great and good fan can work that out! What I was referring to was those who, it seems, only support their club by criticising what other fans do.

Try reading it again[8-|]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chicken!![:D]

There is NOTHING contoversial or requireing an Epistle in reply is there? (oh God sorry!!!![;)])

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

No, because I''m not going to hang around here like a second class fan...

I''m outa here[:@][:@][:@][:@]

[:$][:^)]

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well that didn''t take long for you to read something into my post that wasn''t there did it Butler[:^)]

It''s quite possible to support your club without going to games. Surely even the thickest great and good fan can work that out! What I was referring to was those who, it seems, only support their club by criticising what other fans do.

[/quote]

Who does that then? Let''s have some examples please.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Read it again same opinion. 90% nothing to do with canary call.

Specsavers wasn''t it!

Whatever are you going on about now Butler. This has no chance of making 20 pages because I''m already losing the will to live. What is it that you thought I said about supporting the club without going to games?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Whatever are you going on about now Butler. This has no chance of making 20 pages because I''m already losing the will to live. What is it that you thought I said about supporting the club without going to games?

[/quote]

I didn''t, that comment was not aimed at you.Don''t lose the will to live the Bet thread can''t afford the loss[;)]

The other bit regarding "general Nutty themes" was. Lests leave it at that.

Have a good evening doing whatever you like or have to do (May they be the same)

[quote user="The Butler"]

Have a good evening doing whatever you like or have to do (May they be the same)

[/quote]

It''s usually the same.

I''m lucky like that! Or easily pleased!!

[;)]

[quote user="cityangel"]I agree to Alf, maybe the people who slag it off every week so try ringing in to show us how its done.[/quote]Agree with you there CAOK, Canary Call is quite funny but it''s the weird and the wonderful who ring in each week who make it what it is. If people didn''t call there''d be no programme which would be a shame as it''s developed a bit of a '' cult '' following amongst the fans since Neil Adams has been at the helm.I''ll bet there''s not one person on here who rubbishes it on here has ever rung in themselves. I ring in from time to time and burble away. I''d suggest that if anyone thinks they can do better than me and some of the other oddballs on there then all you have to do is pick up the ''phone after a game and show the rest of the world how it should be done.Will there be many takers ?..... Somehow I don''t think so.

I''d like to know who watches the game and thinks ''You know what, I''m going to share my opinions with those great people of Norfolk!''

I quite enjoy Canary Call, purely for the cheesiness. You know pretty much exactly what Neil Adams is going to say, I could probably answer most of the callers questions. The simple answer is, Neil doesnt know what happens at the training ground!

When my friend was ill and was relying on Radio Norfolk and Canary Call for updates I used to text in after every game. It was a joke we had between us where I would text in under the same name as Norfolk Villages. I had texts read out as "Heather from Hethersett", "Phil from Filby", and "Blake from Blakeney" amongst others but it all ended when they somehow took a dislike to "Matt from Mattishall". Although the texts were often read out it was always "Matt has texted" and for some reason they would never say "Matt from Mattishall". I blame Matthew Gudgin for this, perhaps he lives in Mattishall[;)]

I have never actually spoken on Canary Call though...

Maybe next week.....

[:O]

i listen to it on the way home, its a good laugh when you get some one that argues with neil, also when they say it was a load of rubbish and we won 4-0 lol

I''ve often contemplated ringing in for a laugh and saying something completely mental, but I don''t have the accent for it... even if I did, it would hardly seem out of place anyway...Someone on here with a broad Norfolk accent should call up with a list of words we''ve set them... [:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Alf Tupper"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good man![:D]

A little chilling is perfectly acceptable, but anything more and you might as well drink lager![Y]

[/quote]

Oh no - now I am in trouble because I like CC and drink lager [:''(]

[quote user="Top of the League Lass"]r u not from norfolk evil?[/quote]Lived in Norwich pretty much most of my life, but moved to Manchester just under 4 years ago for university (mature student, me)... moving back in August, though!! [:D]Neither of my parents are from Norfolk originally though so never got the accent... do enjoy speaking it for a laugh though, there''s a lass I know up here who''s a Norfolk gal and we have good fun freaking people out by shouting things like ''hows ut gorn moi lurve, are y''roight?'' across a crowded pub.....