Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Eats Walkers!

City withdraw from reserves league ...... Again!

Strange.

Club blubbed before that needed to be in it for our fringe players / people coming back from injury had the chance to play semi decent opposition

The move will allow the management team more flexibility to choose when, where and against what opposition the City second string plays next season in a series of competitive friendlies.

Yarmouth Town again then?

lambert has his head screwed on he knows what he is doing, wants to know that if he needs the guys in his first team he knows he will not have to mess around with the reserves league

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Seems a bit of an odd move.  Really need to justify it this time by arranging some worthwhile fixtures (and not the likes of Wroxham and Yarmouth).[/quote]And ''Kirkley & Pakefield''.Not a truly major mistake as such, but i don''t believe Lambert is doing himself any favours in this decision.

really bad move imo. It sounds a good idea but as was found last season organizing appropriate opposition was easier said than done.

At least when you havea set fixture  list the are games (almost) set in stone. Take tomorrow for instance ,for the first time in weeks we have a completely clean bill of health and the reserve match is a godsend for many players returning from injury, next season it may not be quite so easy to have organized a fixture a short notice??

This will only pay off if they can actually organise the fictures.... at the moment the reserve league is hardly doing much better with postponements and  matches against teams such as Stevenage... not really competitive.

[quote user="Top of the League Lass"]lambert has his head screwed on he knows what he is doing, wants to know that if he needs the guys in his first team he knows he will not have to mess around with the reserves league[/quote]

Agree - let''s not forget this is now the Lambert/McNally regime, I''m sure they will prove to be much more competent at arranging friendlies/reserve games with half decent sides.

For all of Roeder''s supposed good contacts in the game, he is actually quite disliked (apparently). Lambert seems to have a decent reputation and can easily see him organising some midweek reserve games against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal (reserves!) - should provide some good competition.

I guess he''s not been impressed with what he''s seen this season.

everyone was to quick to judge say his subs he put on... look how that turned out they all score lol... lets give him the benefit of the doubt

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

[quote user="Top of the League Lass"]lambert has his head screwed on he knows what he is doing, wants to know that if he needs the guys in his first team he knows he will not have to mess around with the reserves league[/quote]

Agree - let''s not forget this is now the Lambert/McNally regime, I''m sure they will prove to be much more competent at arranging friendlies/reserve games with half decent sides.

For all of Roeder''s supposed good contacts in the game, he is actually quite disliked (apparently). Lambert seems to have a decent reputation and can easily see him organising some midweek reserve games against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal (reserves!) - should provide some good competition.

I guess he''s not been impressed with what he''s seen this season.

[/quote]Firstly Roeder is well liked within the game and well respected by many managers.Also we played a friendly against Arsenal reserves when Roeder pulled us out of the reserve league last season. The problem with arranging games is that every other team are playing reserve league games and don''t want to add extra games to their calendar. Hopefully it will work out a little better than last time, but expect to see the new Kings Lynn, Wroxham, Lowestoft and Dereham all gracing Colney next year.

Not being in a reserve league means we can have a smaller squad but with alot more quality.... It was Gunn that put us back in the reserve league,and he also signed alot of dead wood players which would have never been good enough for the 1st team but needed a large squad so we had enough number''s for a 1st team and reserve team.. roeder wasn''t a good manager but was still a manager Gunn is not a manager is why he thought having a reserve team was a good idea... If we are lucky and don''t get many injury''s we can arrange reserve games but if the squad is looking thin then we don''t have to risk fringe players in reserve matches

It is a shame that the (non-Premier) Reserve league has fallen to the state that it has - playing matches on training pitches (most do it, not just us) or at empty (non) league grounds and/or having them postponed at short notice does render it all a bit pointless. It is a bit sad as I used to love going as a kid in the early 80s, paying my 25p to see decent sides play games on a Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road when the first team was away.

We have to trust that Lambert knows what he''s doing, we do need to be sure that there is a point to the matches and that we are getting something out of them.

Perhaps it is yet another ''bad'' side of the Premier League, having its own Reserves, which makes finding decent competitive games hard for the lesser sides.

I''m none too convinced about this. As several other posters have mentioned all other league clubs are playing in proper reserve leagues so will probably feel their fixture list is ample anyway.

And if we are playing reserve games at Colney, then the local clubs, King''s Lynn, Lowestoft etc, are not going to come and play us as their players are part time and will be at work during the day.

Disappointing decision for me, but I''m prepared to give the benefit of the doubt for now!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Seems a strange decision for footballing reasons, if it was for footballing reasons.

Was this mentioned at the forum tonight?

[/quote]No it wasn''t. I didn''t know about it till I got back and read here.

It''s not financial is it? I assumed reserve games even in a league could just be played at Colney keeping costs down. I agree with almost everything Lambert does but from our experences under Roeder I fear he may have got this one wrong. As other posters have said there won''t necessarily be that many clubs willingly to play us on top of other committments.

This could lead to fringe players barely getting a run out. Which would be a shame as players such as Adeyemi really need the game time. Even if the standard isnt great and you are playing the likes of Stevenage Borough the game will still be more competitivethan a practice match played in house which will naturally be a little flat. We''ve been down this road before and it did''nt work. I just hope Lambert proves me wrong yet again....

Norwich already play a fair number of reserve friendlies during the season, most we just never get to hear about as they involve trialists etc. for both clubs.  I believe that Spurs were here for a behind closed doors match a month or so ago, but it''s all kept quiet.

My hope is that there will be plenty of high profile reserve games back at CR next season.

The article is almost word for word of what was said the last time they cut it. It was later admitted that they had done it to cut costs.

Seems only months ago they admitted that cutting the reserve team league had been a massive mistake. 

What are the odds of being promoted and then relegated the following season?

Ressie games are onlyused to get players match fit, the quality of the oppo is therefore irrelevent....................in Lambert I trust, so should you.

The ressie games are only used to get players match fit, therefore, the quality of the opposition is irrelevent............in Lambert I trust, so should you.