Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

McNamee for Swindon?

I felt it was abit harsh for Lambert to drop him yesterday and not even bring him on when we had so much space on the right and I think he should start at Swindon. Players always perform against their old clubs and Lappin was just not up to it yesterday.

Thoughts?

Against a top 8 team in this division theres no way we can play Hoolahan & McNamee in the same side, at home to a Carlisle, Yeovil etc then yeah you can get away with it, but not away to a team who''s not lost at home this season. And i think yesterdays result proves that Lambert picked the right team.

Being one of Lappin''s biggest critics, to me it sounded like he had his best game in months yesterday to be fair to him.I do believe that McNamee is a better player though, whether that be in a 4-4-2 the diamond or another formation.  I would always those who I considered to be my best players to be on the pitch if they were fit.Lambert was given all the plaudits for playing Hoolahan in his best position, at this level I see no reason why he is not able to do the same with McNamee.I would like to see McNamee in next weeks team also, but do not expect to see it for one minute.  If Lambert does surprise us by playing McNamee next week then I think Hoolahan or Korey''s places will be most at risk again.  Not something I agree with but there you go.

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]Against a top 8 team in this division theres no way we can play Hoolahan & McNamee in the same side, at home to a Carlisle, Yeovil etc then yeah you can get away with it, but not away to a team who''s not lost at home this season. And i think yesterdays result proves that Lambert picked the right team.[/quote]

Huddersfield   1 - 3   Norwich

League One leaders Norwich battled back

from going a goal down to beat Huddersfield and end the last unbeaten

home record in the division.

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]Against a top 8 team in this division theres no way we can play Hoolahan & McNamee in the same side, at home to a Carlisle, Yeovil etc then yeah you can get away with it, but not away to a team who''s not lost at home this season. And i think yesterdays result proves that Lambert picked the right team.[/quote]Why not?Huddersfield are utter crap and were always there for the taking yesterday.  They couldn''t keep a clean sheet against us if they tried but are always likely to get a goal!Why play defensively when it is our quality going forwards that has ripped this league apart?The top 8 in this league are not much better than the rest of the rubbish in it... don''t fool yourself in to thinking any different.

[quote user="Smudger"]Being one of Lappin''s biggest critics, to me it sounded like he had his best game in months yesterday to be fair to him.

I do believe that McNamee is a better player though, whether that be in a 4-4-2 the diamond or another formation.  I would always those who I considered to be my best players to be on the pitch if they were fit.

Lambert was given all the plaudits for playing Hoolahan in his best position, at this level I see no reason why he is not able to do the same with McNamee.

I would like to see McNamee in next weeks team also, but do not expect to see it for one minute.  If Lambert does surprise us by playing McNamee next week then I think Hoolahan or Korey''s places will be most at risk again.  Not something I agree with but there you go.
[/quote]

Rather than our best team?

I wonder what all of these people who say that you can''t play McNamee and Hoolahan in the same team against a top 8 side would have to say if Lambert did do that and we won 5-0?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Being one of Lappin''s biggest critics, to me it sounded like he had his best game in months yesterday to be fair to him.I do believe that McNamee is a better player though, whether that be in a 4-4-2 the diamond or another formation.  I would always those who I considered to be my best players to be on the pitch if they were fit.Lambert was given all the plaudits for playing Hoolahan in his best position, at this level I see no reason why he is not able to do the same with McNamee.I would like to see McNamee in next weeks team also, but do not expect to see it for one minute.  If Lambert does surprise us by playing McNamee next week then I think Hoolahan or Korey''s places will be most at risk again.  Not something I agree with but there you go.[/quote]

[/quote]Seems to be working for Real Madrid....How much did they beat Lyon by again?

[quote user="Smudger"]I wonder what all of these people who say that you can''t play McNamee and Hoolahan in the same team against a top 8 side would have to say if Lambert did do that and we won 5-0?
[/quote]

But thats rather unlikely, a decent side would pick us apart with both of those in a 4 man midfield, yesterday in the second half Smith, Russell, Lappin totally bossed the midfield area and allowed the front 3 freedom, having just Smith & Russell in there would have been total suicide.

[quote user="Smudger"]Being one of Lappin''s biggest critics, to me it sounded like he had his best game in months yesterday to be fair to him.I do believe that McNamee is a better player though, whether that be in a 4-4-2 the diamond or another formation.  I would always those who I considered to be my best players to be on the pitch if they were fit.Lambert was given all the plaudits for playing Hoolahan in his best position, at this level I see no reason why he is not able to do the same with McNamee.I would like to see McNamee in next weeks team also, but do not expect to see it for one minute.  If Lambert does surprise us by playing McNamee next week then I think Hoolahan or Korey''s places will be most at risk again.  Not something I agree with but there you go.[/quote]

[/quote]For me your best 11 players make the best team... [;)]I didn''t say I would play 5 strikers and no defenders did I?For me a great goalkeeper in Forster, a pretty solid defence of 4, with Rusty sitting just in front of them and Korey snapping at peoples heals as well should be more than enough to cope with the attacking threat of nearly all of the teams in this rubbish league.I can''t really see any teams at the moment who I would be worried about putting a slightly more attacking line up out against by bringing in McNamee for Lappin.

[quote user="Smudger"]I wonder what all of these people who say that you can''t play McNamee and Hoolahan in the same team against a top 8 side would have to say if Lambert did do that and we won 5-0?[/quote]

But thats rather unlikely, a decent side would pick us apart with both of those in a 4 man midfield, yesterday in the second half Smith, Russell, Lappin totally bossed the midfield area and allowed the front 3 freedom, having just Smith & Russell in there would have been total suicide.

[/quote]Your opinion not mine.I really would not be frightened what any other team has in this league.Play our best midfield and best strikers and let them worry about us!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Being one of Lappin''s biggest critics, to me it sounded like he had his best game in months yesterday to be fair to him.

I do believe that McNamee is a better player though, whether that be in a 4-4-2 the diamond or another formation.  I would always those who I considered to be my best players to be on the pitch if they were fit.

Lambert was given all the plaudits for playing Hoolahan in his best position, at this level I see no reason why he is not able to do the same with McNamee.

I would like to see McNamee in next weeks team also, but do not expect to see it for one minute.  If Lambert does surprise us by playing McNamee next week then I think Hoolahan or Korey''s places will be most at risk again.  Not something I agree with but there you go.
[/quote]

[/quote]

For me your best 11 players make the best team... [;)]

I didn''t say I would play 5 strikers and no defenders did I?

For me a great goalkeeper in Forster, a pretty solid defence of 4, with Rusty sitting just in front of them and Korey snapping at peoples heals as well should be more than enough to cope with the attacking threat of nearly all of the teams in this rubbish league.

I can''t really see any teams at the moment who I would be worried about putting a slightly more attacking line up out against by bringing in McNamee for Lappin.
[/quote]

The Huddersfield wingers would have torn us apart yesterday but for the work of Smith & Lappin, McNamee certainly wouldn''t have offered Rose any protection.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[/quote]Seems to be working for Real Madrid....How much did they beat Lyon by again?[/quote]Was Real''s line-up not a little too defensive by their usual standards on that night?  No expert on the Spanish footie so don''t crucify me if I''m wrong.Real Madrid: Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Albiol, Garay, Arbeloa,Lassana Diarra, Guti, Granero, Kaka, Ronaldo, Higuain. No Benzema, no Raul, no Van der Vaart etc.Diarra, Guti, Granero all defensive midfielders and Kaka and Ronaldo ain''t particularly soft if you ask me.  So one striker and pack the midfield -very negative and only have themselves to blame if you ask me.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[/quote]For me your best 11 players make the best team... [;)]I didn''t say I would play 5 strikers and no defenders did I?For me a great goalkeeper in Forster, a pretty solid defence of 4, with Rusty sitting just in front of them and Korey snapping at peoples heals as well should be more than enough to cope with the attacking threat of nearly all of the teams in this rubbish league.I can''t really see any teams at the moment who I would be worried about putting a slightly more attacking line up out against by bringing in McNamee for Lappin.[/quote]

The Huddersfield wingers would have torn us apart yesterday but for the work of Smith & Lappin, McNamee certainly wouldn''t have offered Rose any protection.

[/quote]Again your opinion.Many others have expressed the opinion that playing McNamee would not of allowed the Huddersfield wingers to have had so much space early doors as they would of been busy tracking the runs of McNamee.PS - I hear that Rose and Lappin had a little handbags at dawn yesterday... so maybe Rose does not agree with you that Lappin offers a great deal of protection in foront of him.From what I hear Lappin had one of his better games yesterday and even me being one of his biggest critics would find it hard to drop him for next Saturday''s game.  For me McNamee is quite simply a far better player than Lappin and at the level of football we are currently at I am convinced that we have more than enough cover defensively to cope and that we should be able to accomodate McNamee in our starting line-up.If 4 defenders plus two pretty defensively minded midfielders in Russell and Smith is not enough to cope with the poor quality of opposition at this level then questions need to be asked of the 6 players occupying those roles for me.

1 striker and pack the midfield?

Looks like 2 up top with Kaka just behind and just Diarra holding to me with 2 attack minded midfielders in a 3.

[/quote]You obviously view things differntly to me then.I would not describe either Ronaldo or Kaka as Strikers and I would also describe Guti and Granero as pretty defensive minded midfielders too.  I may be wrong but do either of those two get many assists?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For me a great goalkeeper in Forster, a pretty solid defence of 4, with Rusty sitting just in front of them and Korey snapping at peoples heals as well should be more than enough to cope with the attacking threat of nearly all of the teams in this rubbish league.

I can''t really see any teams at the moment who I would be worried about putting a slightly more attacking line up out against by bringing in McNamee for Lappin.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again your opinion.

Many others have expressed the opinion that playing McNamee would not of allowed the Huddersfield wingers to have had so much space early doors as they would of been busy tracking the runs of McNamee.

PS - I hear that Rose and Lappin had a little handbags at dawn yesterday... so maybe Rose does not agree with you that Lappin offers a great deal of protection in foront of him.

From what I hear Lappin had one of his better games yesterday and even me being one of his biggest critics would find it hard to drop him for next Saturday''s game.  For me McNamee is quite simply a far better player than Lappin and at the level of football we are currently at I am convinced that we have more than enough cover defensively to cope and that we should be able to accomodate McNamee in our starting line-up.

If 4 defenders plus two pretty defensively minded midfielders in Russell and Smith is not enough to cope with the poor quality of opposition at this level then questions need to be asked of the 6 players occupying those roles for me.
[/quote]

You''d have 4 players effectively out of the game up the pitch whilst the opposition hit you on the break, decent sides would just tear us apart. Also by having 3 midfield players prepared to work you can get a foothold and get the ball to Hoolahan, Holt etc. Having just 2 players you''ll never get hold of the ball and the likes of Hoolahan & McNamee won''t have a chance to create anything.

No Alonso either... so which ever way you look at it they were lacking in creativity in the midfield if we are agreeing that they played a system of two upfront with Kaka just behind them.Where does the creativity in midfield come from if that is the system they went with?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

[/quote]For me your best 11 players make the best team... [;)]I didn''t say I would play 5 strikers and no defenders did I?For me a great goalkeeper in Forster, a pretty solid defence of 4, with Rusty sitting just in front of them and Korey snapping at peoples heals as well should be more than enough to cope with the attacking threat of nearly all of the teams in this rubbish league.I can''t really see any teams at the moment who I would be worried about putting a slightly more attacking line up out against by bringing in McNamee for Lappin.[/quote]

[/quote]Again your opinion.Many others have expressed the opinion that playing McNamee would not of allowed the Huddersfield wingers to have had so much space early doors as they would of been busy tracking the runs of McNamee.PS - I hear that Rose and Lappin had a little handbags at dawn yesterday... so maybe Rose does not agree with you that Lappin offers a great deal of protection in foront of him.From what I hear Lappin had one of his better games yesterday and even me being one of his biggest critics would find it hard to drop him for next Saturday''s game.  For me McNamee is quite simply a far better player than Lappin and at the level of football we are currently at I am convinced that we have more than enough cover defensively to cope and that we should be able to accomodate McNamee in our starting line-up.If 4 defenders plus two pretty defensively minded midfielders in Russell and Smith is not enough to cope with the poor quality of opposition at this level then questions need to be asked of the 6 players occupying those roles for me.[/quote]

You''d have 4 players effectively out of the game up the pitch whilst the opposition hit you on the break, decent sides would just tear us apart. Also by having 3 midfield players prepared to work you can get a foothold and get the ball to Hoolahan, Holt etc. Having just 2 players you''ll never get hold of the ball and the likes of Hoolahan & McNamee won''t have a chance to create anything.

[/quote]Go 3 at the back then... or does that worry you a little in this terrifying league of fantastic football teams also???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

1 striker and pack the midfield?

Looks like 2 up top with Kaka just behind and just Diarra holding to me with 2 attack minded midfielders in a 3.

[/quote]

You obviously view things differntly to me then.

I would not describe either Ronaldo or Kaka as Strikers and I would also describe Guti and Granero as pretty defensive minded midfielders too.  I may be wrong but do either of those two get many assists?
[/quote]

Ronaldo doesn''t track back, Kaka doesn''t really track back, Higuain doesn''t really track back, thats 3 players effectively out the game when you don''t have the ball, Guti & Granero are creative players, they will defend, but it does leave Diarra one hell of a shift in there though.

I''d certainly class Ronaldo as a striker, he roams a bit but he has no obligation to get back and is always in the box on the end of things.

[quote user="Smudger"]No Alonso either... so which ever way you look at it they were lacking in creativity in the midfield if we are agreeing that they played a system of two upfront with Kaka just behind them.

Where does the creativity in midfield come from if that is the system they went with?
[/quote]

Have you ever seen Guti? loves a pass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwsmBdL9jR8, furthest man forward creating a goal with a back heel.

Alonso for all his passing is a holding midfielder, you''ll very rarely see him anywhere other than sitting in front of the defence spraying the ball around.

Am i not the only one who thought Lappin was lethargical with his play yesterday?

Didn''t seem to put his foot in for the cause. One prime example was when the ball became loose towards his wing. He could of sprinted and got it, but was lazy and Huddersfield countered and could of easily scored.

Granero and Guti are not defensive players. For me that is a 4-2-3-1 with three attacking midfielders in Kaka Ronald and Granero. They dont play Benzema as he has been gash and Van de Vaart is not a first team regular. As for the Norwich related points I was not surprised to see McNamee out but I was surprised we went for the diamond and we seemed to struggle to contain the wingers. Personally I dont think having McNamee and Hoolahan would give enough cover to the full backs as despite whart we say about the quality of this league, Huddersfield have some handy wide players and we were playing a very average left back. Also we should sign Gary Roberts.

[quote user="King Korey"]Am i not the only one who thought Lappin was lethargical with his play yesterday?

Didn''t seem to put his foot in for the cause. One prime example was when the ball became loose towards his wing. He could of sprinted and got it, but was lazy and Huddersfield countered and could of easily scored.[/quote]Can''t really comment mate... it sounds from the radio commentary that Lappin had one of his better games in many months yesterday and he obviously set up our 3rd goal.However, with regards to him closing down players and winning tackles in games I have sen little evidence of this over the course of the games I have attended this season.  This is one of the main reasons (along with the quality of the opposition) that I am convinced we would not be losing out on much by dropping Lappin for McNamee and that we would not be left short defensively any more than we are already.For me those who point to McNamee''s shortfalls defensively have been unable to provide any evidence as to the number of tackles that Lappin wins per game and few have admitted that by playing McNamee it forces the opposition to sit very deep down his side of the pitch - which has a positive impact on our defensive capabilities as a team in itself.

[quote user="king canary"]Granero and Guti are not defensive players. For me that is a 4-2-3-1 with three attacking midfielders in Kaka Ronald and Granero. They dont play Benzema as he has been gash and Van de Vaart is not a first team regular. As for the Norwich related points I was not surprised to see McNamee out but I was surprised we went for the diamond and we seemed to struggle to contain the wingers. Personally I dont think having McNamee and Hoolahan would give enough cover to the full backs as despite whart we say about the quality of this league, Huddersfield have some handy wide players and we were playing a very average left back. Also we should sign Gary Roberts.[/quote]Rotherham''s Gary Roberts?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="King Korey"]Am i not the only one who thought Lappin was lethargical with his play yesterday? Didn''t seem to put his foot in for the cause. One prime example was when the ball became loose towards his wing. He could of sprinted and got it, but was lazy and Huddersfield countered and could of easily scored.[/quote]

Can''t really comment mate... it sounds from the radio commentary that Lappin had one of his better games in many months yesterday and he obviously set up our 3rd goal.

However, with regards to him closing down players and winning tackles in games I have sen little evidence of this over the course of the games I have attended this season.  This is one of the main reasons (along with the quality of the opposition) that I am convinced we would not be losing out on much by dropping Lappin for McNamee and that we would not be left short defensively any more than we are already.

For me those who point to McNamee''s shortfalls defensively have been unable to provide any evidence as to the number of tackles that Lappin wins per game and few have admitted that by playing McNamee it forces the opposition to sit very deep down his side of the pitch - which has a positive impact on our defensive capabilities as a team in itself.
[/quote]

It''s not just tackles that show how much defensive work is done, the number of times Lappin gets back and doubles up with Rose/Drury or closes down a player in the midfield preventing a pass or shot is inbvaluable to the team. I could be mistaken but I think Lappin made a key challenge as a Huddersfield was running into our box at 1-1 or 2-1 yesterdy, don''t think he won the ball but it certainly prevented a near certain goal attempt. I''m pretty sure McNamee would have been wandering around on half way as Huddersfield broke forward.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I take it your wink means you know this statement isn''t correct, but this is your main argument, I don''t understand Smudger[*-)]

I can only comment on the two matches I have seem recently:

Oldham (A) and Huddersfield (A).

My opinion is that we looked much more comfortable with 3 midfield players and 3 attackers rather than the 2/4 we had at Oldham.

The criticism of Lappin''s play that I had is that when attacking he didn''t really hare after balls like a winger would. A couple of times he could have chased in to channels faster and we wouldn''t have lost possession. But then he wasn''t playing as a winger but as a wide midfielder - however he was getting the balls that should be given to a winger, the ones MacNamee thrived on. I didn''t really notice him missing or ducking tackles that were there to be made.

That said he was much better defensively that Nacnamee and also better in the inside left channel than MacNamee.

Personally I can''t say I think either player is better than the other. Both play the roles they are asked to (and suit them) rather well.

I definitely don''t believe that the best 11 players are the ones you want on the pitch though. (Coughs *Lampard* *Gerrard* )

I would favour Lappin as more likely to yield results at Swindon and aagainst Leeds personally.

[quote user="7rew"]I can only comment on the two matches I have seem recently: Oldham (A) and Huddersfield (A). My opinion is that we looked much more comfortable with 3 midfield players and 3 attackers rather than the 2/4 we had at Oldham. The criticism of Lappin''s play that I had is that when attacking he didn''t really hare after balls like a winger would. A couple of times he could have chased in to channels faster and we wouldn''t have lost possession. But then he wasn''t playing as a winger but as a wide midfielder - however he was getting the balls that should be given to a winger, the ones MacNamee thrived on. I didn''t really notice him missing or ducking tackles that were there to be made. That said he was much better defensively that Nacnamee and also better in the inside left channel than MacNamee. Personally I can''t say I think either player is better than the other. Both play the roles they are asked to (and suit them) rather well. I definitely don''t believe that the best 11 players are the ones you want on the pitch though. (Coughs *Lampard* *Gerrard* ) I would favour Lappin as more likely to yield results at Swindon and aagainst Leeds personally.[/quote]

Agree with you there, would like to point out also, that when rose done that awful pack pass yesterday, it was Lappin who got back to cover on the line, he may not be the quickest but he covers a hell or a lot of ground during a match, MacNamee would not have got back that far. Its a case of don''t mend it if its not broken but would bring Drury in for Rose as I think Drury and Lappin play better together.