Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The Grass aint always greener..... Ask Lee Croft

The last league game Crofty started for Derby was Dec 26th.

The last game (FA Cup) Crofty started for Derby was 12th Jan.

Never was Croftys greatest fan but it just goes to show the attraction (and greed) that go with playing at a higher level is not always the best career move.

The most undeserevd winner of the player of the season award in its history!

I know of only one person who voted for him and the old boy isn''t always quite with it hence the reason he voted for Croft I think!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]The most undeserevd winner of the player of the season award in its history! I know of only one person who voted for him and the old boy isn''t always quite with it hence the reason he voted for Croft I think![/quote]

Totally overrated last season but we were trying to pick the best of a bad bunch.

The decision is a damned sight harder this year - how on God''s earth do you choose?

I think Croft was one of our better performers last season purely because of the effort (although the end product levels were poor!) but Clingan and the Doc were head and shoulders above what Croft produced!

Suffice to say Croft has not been missed this season!

This season the amount of underperforming players you could count on one hand so yes picking the player of the season will be difficult.

Though my choice is Holt for the goals, workrate (he is everywhere bar in the middle quite often), presense and leadership qualities!

The grass may not be greener but I reckon his bank account is fuller. Many of us if we''re honest would swap jobs for a significent pay rise - I''m looking for work at the moment and I know I''ve reconsidered employers I wouldn''t particularly want to work for if they pay well.

He has also been out injured for a while but let''s overlook that.

Never rated Croft.  I am not going to make out he was terrible, but I certainly wasn''t sad when he left. 

Clingan was a much better player, wished we still had him[:(]

Is certianly the case that most would go for the money, but footballers aren''t poorly paid and Croft could easily have stayed for a season and still been well enough off. It is a little sad for him, but equally it is tough tits, he made his choice.

That he was POTS was a travesty, Clingan was far and away our best performer last season, and would have been fantastic this.

The unfortunate thing is that there is no distinction made between last season''s paltry choice when it was the best of a crap bunch, and this, where any of Smith, Holt, Hoolahan, Doc, Martin, Forster and Russell - to name but 7 - could reasonably feel a bit miffed to miss out.

It''s not greed - no more than anyone else wishing to progress in their profession.

I''m not great fan of croft, au contraire, I''m a big critic - it''s not that I didn''t hate that he left for free - but to take his leaving as personal is just docile in the extreme. Leaving on free gives a massive bargaining chip in further negotiations, and wanting to move on? Well - if you were playing for, say, Leeds and got offer from the league above - say Forest... wouldn''t you take it? Cause you would. Wouldn''t you then look on in exasperation when those Leeds fans came out with the crap you lot have?

He is earning a LOT more than he was at Norwich. However, I heard (although fairly obvious) he isn''t on good terms with the gaffer, hence he isn''t playing. Suprised he hasn''t been loaned out, will probably be shipped out come August. See him in the city on a Saturday night, so clearly isn''t a part of the Derby affair.

[quote user="First Jedi"]It''s not greed - no more than anyone else wishing to progress in their profession. I''m not great fan of croft, au contraire, I''m a big critic - it''s not that I didn''t hate that he left for free - but to take his leaving as personal is just docile in the extreme. Leaving on free gives a massive bargaining chip in further negotiations, and wanting to move on? Well - if you were playing for, say, Leeds and got offer from the league above - say Forest... wouldn''t you take it? Cause you would. Wouldn''t you then look on in exasperation when those Leeds fans came out with the crap you lot have?[/quote]

And there we have it, First Jedi was leading by 10 lengths until he fell at the final hurdle

[quote user="First Jedi"]

Wouldn''t you then look on in exasperation when those Leeds fans came out with the crap you lot have?

[/quote]

Doubt I''d give a toss if I''m honest.

Croft had two qualities that were lacking in about 60% of our team last season:

1) pace (ish)

2) high effort levels

fact is though, he lacked quality, which bell would have provided, and that cost us dearly in the end.

Croft can''t get a game for Derby who are about 17th in the championship and limping along. He was probably our 2nd best player last season behind Clingan. It just goes to show how awful we were and that we deserved to go down last year. I agree with all the sentiments above. Could''nt fault the effort most of the time but he did flatter to decieve a lot. Very little end product from him in the way of goals and assists. Indeed the cracker against the Scum aside his finishing was dreadful.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Never rated Croft.  I am not going to make out he was terrible, but I certainly wasn''t sad when he left. 

Clingan was a much better player, wished we still had him[:(]

[/quote]

Agree Croft = poo, Clingan = class.......

McNamee has everything Croft had but with that better final ball. How McNamee finds himself playing in L1 and Croft in the Chumps, I''ve no idea.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]McNamee has everything Croft had but with that better final ball. How McNamee finds himself playing in L1 and Croft in the Chumps, I''ve no idea.[/quote]

Apart from the work rate and defensive qualities but I agree with everybody it shows how poor we were last season when a player won the POTS award based on just his effort.

Croft had pace? He would have had a whole lot more if he actually lost some weight. Probably the reason he''s fallen out with Clough because he refuses to lose a few kilos. He''d have no doubt fallen out with Lambert for the same reason

Let''s be honest, in this poo league he could have been useful - he''d be a genuine right winger for a start which we are still lacking. Him and Macca on the wings would tear this league to pieces.

But i''d much rather have David Bell