Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Goalkeepers we let go

I know it has been in some posts before. But I want to put GK problem on the forefront again. We''ve made the wrong decisions regarding this position a few times in the past!

Matt Gilks: doing a great job at Blackpool

Lee Camp:  nr. 1 at Forest and doing very well

Joe Lewis: most City fans feel we should never have let him go for 400k to a crap side like P''boro

Rob Green: Well it was obvious he was too good for the Championship, so I don''t really argue with this...

Anymore?

I feel very agreeved by the way we let such talent go. We don''t own Forster, so that is a different matter. I hope they don''t muck up with Ruddy and Steer.

[quote user="Captain Holt"]Jussi Jaaskelainen.[/quote]

Christ...great point! One of the best GK''s in the PL

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

I know it has been in some posts before. But I want to put GK problem on the forefront again. We''ve made the wrong decisions regarding this position a few times in the past!

Lee Camp:  nr. 1 at Forest and doing very well

Joe Lewis: most City fans feel we should never have let him go for 400k to a crap side like P''boro

Rob Green: Well it was obvious he was too good for the Championship, so I don''t really argue with this...

Anymore?

I feel very agreeved by the way we let such talent go. We don''t own Forster, so that is a different matter. I hope they don''t muck up with Ruddy and Steer.

I thought Joe lewis  sale has gone up to 700k due to there premotion to the champ

[/quote]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Did we own Lee Camp?  If memory serves me right was he not on loan from Derby?[/quote]

Yes, he was on loan. I can''t remember whether we had the option to buy him or not, but I think Peter Grant was manager at the time.

To be fair Camp was ok on loan but not outstanding.That rather bizarre own goal against Sheff Wed where the ball hit the bar then his head before trickling over the line springs to mind.  I thought Marshall was better when he arrived. 

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]He wasn''t getting a game, and if we kept him we wouldn''t have got Wes

Notwithstanding the England call up I know several Posh ST holders who are still not fully won over by Lewis, who has apparently had some  shockers. I wonder if Rudd might prove the better prospect long term?

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

We never let him go - we paid for him to get here for a trial and were about to sign him then he did the dirty and went up north - git

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]He wasn''t getting a game, and if we kept him we wouldn''t have got Wes

[/quote]

I wanted to sign him just coz he was the first NCFC player I have known to have my surname

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]David Marshall[/quote]

was rubbish - couldn''t command his area but a good shot stopper. Fraser Forster is much better than him

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

Splitting hairs really but he''s not really one of the best ''keepers in the PL.

I have never understood why Grant paid 1m pounds for a goalkeeper back in 2007 and consider it to have been an awful waste of what was a huge part of our budget. Playing Gilks or getting a young Premier keeper on loan for a season while Lewis came through was surely the better option. If Lewis turned out to be not good enough then we could have signed someone else at that point. However, even in that case 1m is too much for a club of our finances to spend on a keeper. Goalscorers should always command the biggest fees.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I have never understood why Grant paid 1m pounds for a goalkeeper back in 2007 and consider it to have been an awful waste of what was a huge part of our budget. Playing Gilks or getting a young Premier keeper on loan for a season while Lewis came through was surely the better option. If Lewis turned out to be not good enough then we could have signed someone else at that point. However, even in that case 1m is too much for a club of our finances to spend on a keeper. Goalscorers should always command the biggest fees.

[/quote]I think the reason for it would have been that the previous season we had 5 different ''keepers in goal, and it was the weakest position.  At the time, everyone agreed that we needed to do something, and he had a decent trial.  I don''t remember anyone at the time saying we shouldn''t buy him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I always felt it was just because of the Celtic connection. He really wanted to get a player from them, maybe even something of a marquee signing (by our standards) in his mind.

As I said at the time, I''d have rather have had Lee Camp. Thought he was just as good as Marshall and I would guess would have cost only a fraction of the Marshall fee. I think Celtic saw PG coming.

To be fair I think most of us rated Marshall after he''d been here on loan and were happey that we signed him. It was just the amount of money that was the issue. 1m is a huge fee for us and was the biggest fee of that window. We had just sold  our top goalscorer for 3.5m and the biggest fee should surely have been on a replacement. Whatever the scale all good managers seem to spend their biggest single fee on goalscorers.

[quote user="Jem"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]David Marshall[/quote]

was rubbish - couldn''t command his area but a good shot stopper. Fraser Forster is much better than him

[/quote]

Good point Jem , I think Forster is much, much better than him.

[quote user="braintree canary"]Simon tracey![/quote]

Mervyn Cawston. The most Norfolk name for a player ever. Our loss was Chicago Sting''s gain.

[quote user="city till i die"]scott howie, awesome at kings lynn lol,

the guy in goal for scum this season?? didnt he come threw a our academy
[/quote]

Aaron Lee- Barratt