Sign in to follow this  
Essex_Canary

Strength in depth...

Just seen the starting lineup for the Ressies against Peterborough this afternoon and have come to conclusion that our current second XI would probably be good enough to make the playoffs in League One this season.

-----------------Rudd------------------

Spillane---Whitbread---Askou---Drury

McVeigh---Hughes---Gill---McNamee

------Johnson---McDonald------------

Add in Adeyemi, Elliott, OTJ, Wiggins plus the youngsters like Steer, Francomb, Daley, Dawkins etc and you realise how strong a squad we have at this level

[quote user="E Block Loyal"]I think there''s an argument for that back four being better than the one that is playing currently.[/quote]

I agree, R Martin probably just shades it for me though, and I''d probably have Doc over Askou or Whitbread at the moment.

(1,000th post, what a great post it is too!)

[quote user="E Block Loyal"]I think there''s an argument for that back four being better than the one that is playing currently.[/quote]

The way Spillane was playing before he got injured he would have started every game I think. I''m not the Doc''s biggest fan and but he has been a lot better this year (although the other arguement is that thats been down to the poorness of the teams we''ve played against and the lack of pressure their forwards have been able to exert on our defence), but if everyone was fit that would be my back four.

Adam Drury would be an improvement. Perhaps Zak Whitbread as well when he''s fully fit and match sharp. Don''t think Spillane and Askou would improve anything.

[quote user="Essex_Canary"]

The way Spillane was playing before he got injured he would have started every game I think. I''m not the Doc''s biggest fan and but he has been a lot better this year (although the other arguement is that thats been down to the poorness of the teams we''ve played against and the lack of pressure their forwards have been able to exert on our defence), but if everyone was fit that would be my back four.

[/quote]

I''m not sure about Spillane. Didn''t he only play a game and a half at right back before getting injured? He''d been at centre back until Semi got injured against Gillingham. I don''t think I''d have him in the team at centre back over Doc, Nelson, Askou or Whitbread.

[quote user="GJP"]

Adam Drury would be an improvement. Perhaps Zak Whitbread as well when he''s fully fit and match sharp. Don''t think Spillane and Askou would improve anything.

[/quote]

I think I''d respectfully disagree with that. Askou is a far better defender than Nelson in my opinion.

I wasn''t saying they were all an improvement but if I had to pick from:

Martin - Doc - Nelson - Rose or Spillane - Askou - ZW - Drury

I''d lean towardas the latter.

I''m not slating the exisiting defenders, not at all, just prefer the latter option (when and if all fit).

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Strength in depth for League 1 but a whole host of players who wont be good enough at a higher level next season .
[/quote]

Time will tell, but yes, it seems likely a few won''t make the grade

[quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I think I''d respectfully disagree with that. Askou is a far better defender than Nelson in my opinion.

I''m not slating the exisiting defenders, not at all, just prefer the latter option (when and if all fit).

[/quote]

Fair enough.

Can''t see Paul Lambert picking a defence of Spillane, Askou, ZW and Drury out of preference anytime soon though.

Also, not really sure why you''d consider Askou a "far better defender" than Nelson...???

Very strong squad indeed.

Other than Gill there''s none in that line up that we would be too surprised to see on the bench if not playing.

Problem being how many of thos will be shed during the summer /

Lmabert has a pretty good method whereby you''ve got it and he''ll bring you back up to strength or like Jamie and Theo you are frozen out and the door marke exit is open.

Would expect Gill and WLY to be leaving after May, Cody and Oli out on loan to get them playing regularly as with Spillane and Martin. Hughes and Doc to gently fade and move on after Xmas.

I think if we have sorted things out with a few games to go we will see quite a few of those playing.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough.

Can''t see Paul Lambert picking a defence of Spillane, Askou, ZW and Drury out of preference anytime soon though.

Also, not really sure why you''d consider Askou a "far better defender" than Nelson...???

[/quote]

Right, apart from I didn''t say Lambert would pick them all, just that I thought as a four it just about shaded the other option. It''s not really that difficult to understand.

Re: Askou vs Nelson - I''ve made that observation based on watching both of them a fair bit. Judging by Lambert''s teams when they''re both fit, it appears he agrees.

Well they are both fit and Askou can''t even get on the bench at the minute.

For my money Nelson has performed at least as well as Askou and though I think Askou has done well for us, results, performances and clean sheets suggest we haven''t at all missed him.

[quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough.

[/quote]

Right, apart from I didn''t say Lambert would pick them all, just that I thought as a four it just about shaded the other option. It''s not really that difficult to understand.

Re: Askou vs Nelson - I''ve made that observation based on watching both of them a fair bit. Judging by Lambert''s teams when they''re both fit, it appears he agrees.

[/quote]

I never said you did.

Fair enough, you''ve watched them both play. So, out of interest, what is it that Askou does better than Nelson? Does Nelson do anything better than Askou? (In your opinion, of course.)

I think that Askou is just as good as Nelson in the air.

Also, I think his passing is better, don''t get me wrong, Askou also puts it in the stand but not when he''s trying to find a team mate (as Nelson does constantly).

Positionally, I also prefer Askou. Nelson was caught napping on a number of occasions against Southampton because he was in completely the wrong place, putting huge pressure on Doherty.

I''m just more confident about the defence when Askou is in it.

I''m not knocking Nelson here, I think he''s done well since he''s come in and he''s certainly earned the shirt for now. I just don''t see him staying there long term, certainly not in the Championship.

To be honest, i prefer Askou also. But Nelson is pretty damn good at full blood and guts tackling, its only when he gets turned that the panic starts [;)]

Frankley I''m amazed at how well Nelson is doing. Fair play to the bloke, top marks for attitude a desire. He really does make the most of his talents, which are good for league one. As mentioned his distribution is not the best. Also positionally I''ve been impressed with Askou. I think against better opposition Nels would et found out - but this may just be something I feel - he just does not instill confidence in me. Still he could prove me wrong again, but I expect him to move on to a top half league one side next season.

Yes we have got strength in depth and the squad is comfortably better than last seasons and with a better manager to boot!

Nelsons limited when passing a ball but he has done a grand stoppers job for us!

Askou done well before the injury but in our current form, it wouldn''t be fair to drop Nelson for Askou!

The Doc has been our best defender this season and yet still some people would rather he was gone?

The Doc is this season playing at a level below his true standard which all being well he''ll be back in next season with Norwich!

Next season, if we achieve promotion this time around all we need to do is release Mcveigh, Gill etc (guys at the wrong end of our squad) and replace tham with 3-4 better quality players and we''ll have a squad capable of pushing for the Championship play offs!