Sign in to follow this  
StandupSitdown

StandupSitdown

Sitting down and singing would look even more ridiculous than "3,2,1 Kick it off..." to half a dozen Exeter fans! Imagine a strong rendition of "F**k the ball, get into ''em"...............whilst seated! Lame.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]The all seater rule is so flawed its unbelievable! [/quote]

I have said it before and I''ll say it again:

If its not ok to stand while doing 0 mph at football grounds then why is it acceptable (and legal) for trains to be

packed with standing passengers and bags while doing 60mph+ ???  I have checked with the Health & Safety

relating to the railways and its legal.

I am not against standing as long as those who want to stand show respect for those who dont.

The block I was in at Huddersfield had people standing at the back and for 3/4 of the rows people sat except for when

it got exciting.  Well done to everyone in that block.

Whereas the central block on our right seemed to have people standing all the way down......pity anybody who wanted

to sit in that block!!

[/quote]so why didnt you look for a spare seat at the front of one of the other blocks.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]........... but surely having designated standing areas would be bette than all the bulls*it we have every home game in the Barclay? Then those who wished to sit would go to a specific seated area while all those who wished to stand (ME for one!) would go in the stand area - common sense! [/quote]

and football clubs would be so organised as to have the away supporters area split for those who want to stand  and those who dont and then everybody can be satisfied. 

[quote user="marchisio"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]The all seater rule is so flawed its unbelievable! [/quote]

I have said it before and I''ll say it again:

If its not ok to stand while doing 0 mph at football grounds then why is it acceptable (and legal) for trains to be

packed with standing passengers and bags while doing 60mph+ ???  I have checked with the Health & Safety

relating to the railways and its legal.

I am not against standing as long as those who want to stand show respect for those who dont.

The block I was in at Huddersfield had people standing at the back and for 3/4 of the rows people sat except for when

it got exciting.  Well done to everyone in that block.

Whereas the central block on our right seemed to have people standing all the way down......pity anybody who wanted

to sit in that block!!

[/quote]
so why didnt you look for a spare seat at the front of one of the other blocks.

[/quote]

Because I was happy in the block I was in because most of the people in that block sat (except for when it got exciting) and those who wanted to stand throughout the game were behind me. Although I did miss seeing part of the action on the right when it was near the goaline.

Secondly why should I sit in the front rows and struggle to see the action at the other end?

I''m obeying ground rule 10.....its not me with the problem!

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Sitting down and singing would look even more ridiculous than "3,2,1 Kick it off..." to half a dozen Exeter fans! Imagine a strong rendition of "F**k the ball, get into ''em"...............whilst seated! Lame.[/quote]

You can be as passionate while remaining seated!

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Sitting down and singing would look even more ridiculous than "3,2,1 Kick it off..." to half a dozen Exeter fans! Imagine a strong rendition of "F**k the ball, get into ''em"...............whilst seated! Lame.[/quote]

You can be as passionate while remaining seated!

[/quote]

You can, even laying down but some prefer standing

I disagree. We''d look like a bunch of old women. Our club is mocked enough for being "soft" without blummin singing sitting down! Make sure you don''t choke on you''re prawn sandwich next time your singing OTBC!

anyway in my opinion there should be standing areas. you cannot have atmosphere with everyone sitting. anyone who says you can is probably just a jarrold stand gimp who claps along to ''yarmy''. this is why everyone should stand at all away games.  if you dont want to then go to the front and you may find a spare seat. if you dont though, tough. going to a game is not being a supporter, but getting behind the team is.

I stood up for the whole of the Huddersfield game last Saturday and enjoyed it. But I did pity the poor bloke in front of me - he was disabled and had crutches but had to stand up by leaning on them for the entire 90 minutes to get a view of the game. If we had designated standing areas that sort of thing wouldnt happen.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I disagree. We''d look like a bunch of old women. Our club is mocked enough for being "soft" without blummin singing sitting down! [/quote]

We use to make plenty of noise in the old B Block of the Main stand.....

I can''t help it if I am surrounded by opera goers in the Jarrold Stand, lol!

[quote user="marchisio"]....... if you dont want to then go to the front and you may find a spare seat. if you dont though, tough. going to a game is not being a supporter, but getting behind the team is.
[/quote]

and I can get behind the team perfectly well while remaining seated and obeying ground rule 10.

The problem lies with those who stand not the other way round as we obey rule 10!

[quote user="RonDavies"]I stood up for the whole of the Huddersfield game last Saturday and enjoyed it. But I did pity the poor bloke in front of me - he was disabled and had crutches but had to stand up by leaning on them for the entire 90 minutes to get a view of the game. If we had designated standing areas that sort of thing wouldnt happen.
[/quote]

Exactly, we need designated standing areas at home AND AWAY grounds. Then everybody has a chance of being content.

Rule 10 my ar$e...stop being such a geek. You''re not meant to use abusive language at the football either so I suppose you tell everyone to shussshh too.

[quote user="marchisio"]....... if you dont want to then go to the front and you may find a spare seat. if you dont though, tough. going to a game is not being a supporter, but getting behind the team is.
[/quote]

and I can get behind the team perfectly well while remaining seated and obeying ground rule 10.

The problem lies with those who stand not the other way round as we obey rule 10!

[/quote]

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Rule 10 my ar$e...stop being such a geek. You''re not meant to use abusive language at the football either so I suppose you tell everyone to shussshh too.[/quote]

There is a rule requiring people to be seated. Its up to you whether you want to obey it but dont complain if you get booted out for ignoring the rule!

Now dont be silly - I join in with the noise but I do want a chance of seeing the game!

i really fail to see why you would want to sit most of the game rather than stand other than medical conditions. Rule 10 was an over reaction to what was a terrible disaster and targeted the wrong reasons for the disaster. The barclay should be standing and if you dont like it when it does revert back take your prawn sandwiches to the city stand. At away games it is very rare that seats are not free towards at the front, go and sit there. Away games should be unreserved to allow this to work.

I have no opinion either way on the matter

but

just want to point out that standing in a seated area is against club and football league regulations( my uncle works for the fa) If these laws were ever properly enforced the club would be fined and most of the lower barclay would be ejected And banned from future matches

Not that I want this to happen ,of course, but it could

cheers for that Salford, not sure that would work in my opinion, just going to waste space in important games, derby games etc. And like others i really enjoy the banter at certain games coming from both sides of the segregation netting. I am however with Tangible on certain points, whilst i do get very frustrated with the t w a t behind me when he keeps shouting us to sit, as it even during those exciting bits, i do acknowledge him when the game is not in those exciting parts, as he like myself has paid for his ticket and has the right to watch the game however he wishes. I know the stewards get bad mouthed for what they do, i know i do it a lot, but at the end of the day they are just doing their job and enforcing the regulations.

[quote user="City penguin"]i really fail to see why you would want to sit most of the game rather than stand other than medical conditions. Rule 10 was an over reaction to what was a terrible disaster and targeted the wrong reasons for the disaster. The barclay should be standing and if you dont like it when it does revert back take your prawn sandwiches to the city stand. At away games it is very rare that seats are not free towards at the front, go and sit there. Away games should be unreserved to allow this to work.[/quote]

DING DONG! I dont sit in the Barclay stand.......

As for away games why should I have to sit near the front, I would like to see the other end of the pitch thank you!

IF the club was in a position to change the lower Barclay back to the seats, given that so many people want to stand there......they could charge premium prices for standing and that would help recover the costs of the work needed to convert it. Its all to do with market segmentation......

IF the club was in a position to change the lower Barclay back to the seats, given that so many people want to stand there......they could charge premium prices for standing and that would help recover the costs of the work needed to convert it. Its all to do with market segmentation......

[/quote]

They ought to be able to claim it back for a stupid law in the first place

My home "seat" is on Row W of Block E in the LB. I like that seat because I rarely have to use it. And standing there causes no other fans a problem. But as I get older and I do suffer with arthritis I am seriously thinking of giving up this "seat" and moving in with Tangie[:O] In both cases I am using common sense with my freedom of choice. I wouldn''t expect those others in the LB to have to remain seated just because my circumstances have changed just as if I do move I wouldn''t expect Tangie and his mates to stand in front of me. So you see it is possible to keep everyone happy at Carrow Road with a little bit of research before tickets are purchased.

But I have seen quite a few times how standing can be a problem at away games. We don''t have those choices as we do at home and the guy from the back of the Barclay can find he has a seat in front of a couple from the City Stand who have paid to sit down. It causes all kinds of problems and I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe stewards could become more involved and move people around to suit their circumstances but the stewards I have come across at a lot of away grounds would be more likely to eject the people who persistently stand. At the end of the day the only answer is areas of safe terracing. As others have pointed out the law does state that fans should be seated. So the fan, who has every right to complain at not being able to see, has the law on his side. So I''m with Tangie on this although I really wish it was possible for us fans to compromise with eachother.

First of all congratulations to the OP and may he/she get a great deal of support for their campaign.

It''s all about choice. The terrible tragedy at Hillsborough sadly gave the authorities license to bring in laws which made all football fans ''guilty'' for merely doing what they had been doing for decades before. There are still grounds (in this league, and formerly up to Championship level) where standing terraces remain. Are there accidents/injuries there? I haven''t heard of any.

Since the Barclay was turned from a den of passionate standing support into a mass of plastic seating there have been problems, stewards largely fighting a losing battle getting everyone to sit down and supporters longing to remain standing.

Since those seats I have left matches covered in bruises from the back of the seats in front. In all the days of being on terraces, both at Carrow Road and numerous other ground I have not received ONE injury. Not in surges during goal celebrations or moving about on the terraces.

Seats have undoubtedly made a huge impact on support and the noise levels. We can all look for other reasons such as the changing mix of support, but there are near me in the Barclay those who have been supporting for 30+ years who all remember the terraces. We are not all the new breed of football support content to snooze in a padded seat and not utter a word or song to support the team.

Frustrated over the years of sitting in row M or whatever I have now secured a seat in row X (back row) and intend to keep it (if only to make sure Nutty continues to stand at matches!). I haven''t sat down at a match for ages, and can count myself lucky that the stewards near us use common sense and let us get on with supporting the team, which after all is why we are there.

For those who wish to sit, or those who are unable to stand for long there are three other stands where they can do that.

I believe truly if the legislation allowed it, a standing terrace at CR would be massively over subscribed and that the whole terrace could be filled once more with standing support.

However in the days of H&S we currently are inflicted with this move may be years away and I will be too old to stand, but I yearn for the days when the Barclay, at least is returned to its former glory. And that goes for the whole of football in the UK. They can do this safely in other countries, why not here.

Some good arguments on here about this subject.Many moons ago I was a Barclay terrace regular swaying around in long hair and flares and couldn''t imagine not standing at a match. But as I got older flares somehow become something more comfortable and the attraction of a seat did too. The problem is, that, as grounds at the higher levels of the League are mainly all-seater, the clubs are technically - and obviously - obliged to ask supporters to sit. This rule seems patchy at best. At Huddersfield last weekend I saw one steward make a half-hearted attempt to get us to sit down but in the end many people, including me, remained standing partly because others were standing in front. I felt sorry for seated fans behind who could then not see much of the pitch but there was nothing much I could do if I wanted to see the game. Someone on here suggested that fans should be able to sit/stand where they like at away games but this only works if we don''t fill the stand, which we seem to do more often than not, especially in this Division. And it''s hardly fair to expect everyone to stand, elderly and infirm included, when they''ve bought their money on the assumption that they will be able to see the match sitting down.Clearly the solution would be to bring back limited terracing to those clubs that wanted it. I suspect most would. The capacities of existing terracing at all grounds that still have it has been greatly reduced from the sardine days as I''m sure City''s away fans have noticed this season. I was on the terracing in a capacity crowd at Peterborough United''s ground not so long ago and there was plenty of space in the home end so safety was not an issue there. I would agree with Gazza that the introduction of seating on the terraced areas has certainly reduced the noise levels inside Carrow Road. Whether it''s re-introduction would bring back '' the good old days '' is doubtful as football is now so sanitised. People have got used to certain comfort levels but I think it would help towards creating a better atmosphere, which, to be honest, is pretty poor for a virtual sell-out every game and has been so for some time.Personally I doubt it will ever happen. Once something is in place Governments rarely reverse the decision particularly when they can hide behind a '' Health & Safety '' issue.Good luck to the terrace campaigners but I think I''ll stick to my slumbers in the seats.To be honest this is the first season in a long while where there''s been anything happening on the pitch to keep me awake......

First off all guys thank you for the responses and positive ones at that.Great discussuion on here and i don''t think i need to add anything else as you all seemed clued up around these parts.Good luck for the rest of the season as i hope to see you back in Derby next season, always strike me as a club with a decent vocal following something which has rarely been seen this season.Oh and sorry for bumping this to the top.

As my previous post on this subject that is very close to my heart would suggest, I''m all for safe standing areas to be brought into football stadiums because there is a clear desire amongst many fans to stand at football games and thats not going to go away!

But I can''t agree with folks who go on about the lack of atmosphere in the Barclay lower seats. The last few years of the old Barclay playing in front of crowds mainly 10,000 down on what we get now, with less atmosphere that nowadays.

I''ll agree that sometimes this season the atmosphere hasn''t been good due to us playing less than glamourous opposition and Norwich being comfortable in most games, but since Carrow Road was made all seater in 1992 their have been many games played with a great atmosphere!