Sign in to follow this  
StandupSitdown

StandupSitdown

Hello,

We are StandUpSitDown, a campaign aiming to get safe standing areas at UK football grounds introduced.

This would have many benefits, both for those who like to sit and for those who would prefer to stand. ( http://www.susd.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?ti... )

We are currently looking for more members to join our forum and back

the campaign. We have just started a Facebook group to show the

authorities how many people care about these issues. ( http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=285656877688&ref=... ) If you are interested in the campaign then please join the facebook group.

If you are particularly interested and want to do more to help the campaign, please join us on our forum ( http://www.susd.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/category-view.asp?showall... ).

Aside from being useful for the campaign, the forum is also a place to

hear other supporters views on fan culture and football in general, as

well as generally fighting for fans'' rights. The forum is also

supported and co-ordinated by the FSF.

Thank You,

SUSD

I would fully support your camapaign to achieve segregated standing area

In the meantime,, whilst promoting your cause, can you all please sit and allow those wanting to sit, those unable to stand, children and height challenged people to see the game they paid for.

I wish you every success with your campaign

Or in the meantime the sitters could buy tickets closer to the front and those that want to stand can get ones at the back.

I''d love to stand for the whole game but I sit Row A Lower Barclay and the old lady behind me doesn''t like it so if I do stand I stand across a bit so she can see. Its made worse by the fat lump who sits next to me constantly shuffling across his seat.

If there is one area where you definitely can''t complain about standing it''s the lower Barclay. Anyone who does should be banned for 3 years. It''s the hub of our support. It''s renowned for standing as much as possible, anyone who is not aware of this is not a supporter. If they don''t like it tough, there are more than enough seats in other areas to move to.

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]As I said I would stand for the whole game but don''t want to annoy the lady behind me as she pays for her season ticket so has a right to watch the game without being obstructed.[/quote]

Not in the lower Barclay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]I may just ask her if we can swap seats as she is directly behind me and on the front row she would have no obstructions.[/quote]

A good compromise, you''re too sweet for the Barclay[;)]

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]Not when it''s 3PM on Saturday, I turn into an animal.[/quote]

A pussy cat by the the sound of it[;)]

The all seater rule is so flawed its unbelievable!

If standing areas are that dangerous then every public event should be all seated!

Hillsborough was caused by the police allowing the exit gates to be opened allowing anyone into the Lepping Lane lower tier stand whether or not they had a ticket. This lower tier was penned of and fenced of which made a quick emergency exit out of the stand very difficult. All the fans allowed in through the opened exit gates made their way to the middle pen which is where all the casualties occurred. The police on the perimeter track trained in an era of hooliganism thought that fans desperately trying to get over the fence were trying to invade the pitch so initially stopped them.

In the late 90''s in a stadium in South Africa (which will be used in ths summers World cup) called Ellis Park a more severe crush occurred when bent turnstile operators were letting in more people than the section held. 150 died in this incident which was in an all seater stand.

Since then crowd safety methods have improved no end with the emphasis on safety rather than treating all fans as hooligans. The horrendously bad decision to open the exit gates would not of happened in the modern era.

Fences and pens are now gone from football stands so in the event of fans needing to exit a stand quickly nowadays, fans wouldn''t be hampered.

The safe standing area which includes a numbered crush barrier for every spectator in a stand that would hold the same as it was a seated, no standing in exits, on the lower tier and a walkway/run off area in front of it is nigh on as safe as you can get because surges wouldn''t be possible with everyone standing in front of a crush barrier and in the event of fans needing to get out quickly the walkway/run off area would provide ample opportunity!

Its now 18 years since we last had proper standing areas at Carrow Road yet most fans in the Barclay lower tier and snake pit would rather stand even those not old enough to remember the old terraces. I don''t want to go back to the old days of surges and being packed in like sardines and I don''t think many other would either but surely having designated standing areas would be bette than all the bulls*it we have every home game in the Barclay?

Then those who wished to sit would go to a specific seated area while all those who wished to stand (ME for one!) would go in the stand area - common sense!

Hopefully one day the football authorities will do the right thing and allow popular areas like the Barclay lower tier to be made into safe standing areas!

Therefore I support any campaign to get safe standing areas in football grounds!

Its common sense that standing in front of a proper crush barrier is safer than standing in front of a seat where you are always in danger of being pushed from behind into the seat in front causing you to go over the top of the seat!

I am one of those fans that is too young to remember the old terraces, but as a fan and a paying customer should we all not be able to watch the game as we want. I sit in the lower barclay, and i for one and getting very annoyed by the stewards coming along every 5 minutes and telling me to sit down! Add on this the t w a t behind us who is always shouting for us to sit down, if you want to sit move somewhere else. I have said before but was not sure on how sure i was on the subject, but are the FA not looking at the possibility of removing segregation within football grounds (believe this was tried earlier this season at Forest Vs Donny game) so why can they not try to bring back the terraces. The only chance i get to watch a football match whilst standing is when i get to watch my local Anglian Combination side, and that is just kack.

[quote user="The gut"]If there is one area where you definitely can''t complain about standing it''s the lower Barclay. Anyone who does should be banned for 3 years. It''s the hub of our support. It''s renowned for standing as much as possible, anyone who is not aware of this is not a supporter. If they don''t like it tough, there are more than enough seats in other areas to move to.[/quote]

are you a dictator in disguise?

I wonder how much of this safety reason is more to do with control via camears and indentifying people by their seat numbers as well as keeping the price higher.

One of the delights of terracing was that you tended to stand in the same place at every home game - echoes of that with the cabbage crew. Maybe a feeling of familiarity etc.

That meant anyone joining you or your group could be accomodated. Not waved bye bye at the turnstlie. It also made for easier relocation if some ''idiot'' was annoying.

The ''mass standing'' in so many of the grounds around the country has shown that it is not the safety problem that we are constantly told. Likewise in other parts of Europe.

My one fear is that the authorities have talked so much that they may not want to be seen to back down.

And a big bloody shame that would be.

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]As I said I would stand for the whole game but don''t want to annoy the lady behind me as she pays for her season ticket so has a right to watch the game without being obstructed.[/quote]

At last, a person who stands who shows some respect for others who wish to sit.

Well done. 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="The gut"]Football is for standing and theatre is for siiting.[/quote]

Thats why the old Main Stand (including the B Blockers) had seats and bench style seating before most of the readers of this bb went to Carrow Rd.!!!

[/quote]

For the toffs

[quote user="The gut"]If there is one area where you definitely can''t complain about standing it''s the lower Barclay. Anyone who does should be banned for 3 years. It''s the hub of our support. It''s renowned for standing as much as possible, anyone who is not aware of this is not a supporter. If they don''t like it tough, there are more than enough seats in other areas to move to.[/quote]

[/quote]

Strange question when it''s only those who want to stand that are being dictated to. I want a choice!

At last, a person who stands who shows some respect for others who wish to sit.

Well done. 

[/quote]

So he doesn''t stand???????

I think the FA were trialling a "neutral area" B-Block, not removing segregation altogether. Half the fun of a football match is the banter between home and away fans and I think even a neutral section would go some way in ruining this.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]The all seater rule is so flawed its unbelievable! [/quote]

I have said it before and I''ll say it again:

If its not ok to stand while doing 0 mph at football grounds then why is it acceptable (and legal) for trains to be

packed with standing passengers and bags while doing 60mph+ ???  I have checked with the Health & Safety

relating to the railways and its legal.

I am not against standing as long as those who want to stand show respect for those who dont.

The block I was in at Huddersfield had people standing at the back and for 3/4 of the rows people sat except for when

it got exciting.  Well done to everyone in that block.

Whereas the central block on our right seemed to have people standing all the way down......pity anybody who wanted

to sit in that block!!

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]^^Well said. People can''t expect atmosphere as well as being seated. It''s one or the other.[/quote]

You can sing while being seated.

[/quote]

You can, but there is generally a better atmosphere at games where I have stood. It might be the sense of FREEDOM in stead of feeling like a child at school sitting on the floor for the story.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="The gut"]Football is for standing and theatre is for siiting.[/quote]

Thats why the old Main Stand (including the B Blockers) had seats and bench style seating before most of the readers of this bb went to Carrow Rd.!!!

[/quote]

For the toffs

[/quote]

What bench seats?

Dont forget the flying green cushions.........

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

Strange question when it''s only those who want to stand that are being dictated to. I want a choice!

[/quote]

Yes, I (with others) would like to have the choice of siting. BTW.. thats in accordance with ground rule number 10 I believe.