Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Prepare to see more of me!

[quote user="a1canary"]Guys, i''m really choked by these responses, can''t thank you all enough. I hope, like you say, it leads to better things. For those that asked, i work (and have always worked) in the public sector, more specifically in economic development and community enterprise. These are not statutory roles in the public sector though, so first to go in cost cutting measures.[/quote]This is what sets NCFC fans apart..the close knit family that we all are[Y]

a1 Canary,

I too was made redundant last August at the age of 58.

It was my third time.

On Monday, I was offered a new job.

So for me . it took 6 months to get back.

I hope its quicker for you, but either way, you must stay positive .

The best advice I had is that you must make finding a job, your job, thats to say work at it .

The job centre will authorise your benefits , but they wont find you a job.

Agencies are a mixed bunch, with many being next to useless.

You will work out who can help you best.

I was first made redundant 10 years ago, and when I went to the job centre, I felt that most people down there were work shy.

This time there were also many hard working people who had lost good jobs through no fault of their own.

Dont give up, you will find a new job.

[quote user="dreamteam"]Agencies are a mixed bunch, with many being next to useless. [/quote]This has been my limited experience since I started the job hunt, although its worth pointing out that I''m only at initial stages of uploading CV and making a list of companies to send CV to directly... The worst bit is signing up to a job site or agency, uploading the CV, filling out numerous questions on what job type you''re after, what location, what salary, etc... and having them send you daily emails with unrelated positions in completely different parts of the country at frankly mental salaries.  Its barely worth it with some of them (avoid Monster is all I''ll say).

First A1, gutted for you at losing your job, it''s not a nice feeling, I know as like many others have been there and got the T-shirt.  I will keep all my fingers crossed that something jobs wise isn''t very far away.  Good luck [Y]

About 8 / 9 years ago now, I was out of work for approx 18 months.  Then I got a minimum wage agency job doing data entry (programmer by trade), and within a month or two I was getting more interviews, and then I got the job I have now.  Sometimes it''s best to just get anything, as being in work "looks better" I suppose.  However you go about it, I wish you the best of luck a1.

I, too, am gutted for you A1. I will keep my fingers crossed that something comes up for you very soon.

PS. Ignore the advice above about keeping your pecker up; it can lead to nasty pains if it stays up for too long.

Chin up my friend something will come along. I''ve been were you are now twice in the last 3 years, only advice I can give is that you have to make it happen. Like someone said make your job finding a job, get as many CV''s out as possible. I was a Sales Exc & got my CV out to eveyone possible, shops, factories, schools, banks the works. I''m now doing a job that I would never had thought possible in a million years & I love every minute of it.

Good luck!!!!!

Whats with the big love in big group huggin rubbish!?

AGGGHHHH!

This dude will get another job won''t ya son? All you are gonna do is make him cry.

Chin up big fella something will come along. I hear the army are recruiting.

[quote user="morty"]Wish I''d started a thread now.

[:)]
[/quote]

Didn''t Shyster start one for you[:O] [;)]

Good luck to you too Morty[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="morty"]Wish I''d started a thread now.[:)][/quote]

Didn''t Shyster start one for you[:O] [;)]

Good luck to you too Morty[Y]

[/quote]Lol, thanks, I wasn''t fishing for sympathy by the way.[:$]

Sorry to hear your sad news.  I know how you feel as I am made redundant on 31st of this month and at 63 years old things are looking grim.  On the upside the job market is on the up this month so dont dispair just yet.  Enjoy the footy its a great leveller and takes your mind off things for a while even if it is only for a few hours.

Forgot to mention if it is any help to you get yourself signed up with the Reed web site as other agencies advertise on there and there is a mixture of temp/permanent jobs going in all types of job.  I am a HR Manager by vocation so if you need any advice ping me.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]About 8 / 9 years ago now, I was out of work for approx 18 months.  Then I got a minimum wage agency job doing data entry (programmer by trade), and within a month or two I was getting more interviews, and then I got the job I have now.  Sometimes it''s best to just get anything, as being in work "looks better" I suppose.  However you go about it, I wish you the best of luck a1.
[/quote]

Good point this. A mate of mine was made redundant from a skilled job and as he didn''t want to sit around he was prepared to take on anything until a suitable skilled vacancy came up. His next job was painting skips! He eventually went to an interview for a skilled job and got it and he was told later that he stood out because he was prepared to do a minimum wage job rather than sitting around.