Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

do not fall on your sword!!!!!

I am growing worried that people might do something rash due to short sightedness and disappointment.

This time last year we would have given anything to be in the PREM even if we had only 50p to spend on players. Worthy was a hero and we were all so very happy. After perservering with Worthy- he learnt the ropes and mastered Div 1

But then we started from scratch. The whole team was below par (minus Green and poss Hucks) There really is a gulf in standard and finances. We knew (dreaming aside) things would be tough.

And then as the realisation of loss hit home the grumbling started...the whispers of magic strikers who would resolve the many waeknesses...or was it a passing midfielder....or tall defender.....or...or...or.....

only a matter of time before the first seeds of Worthy out whispers came along. And this is my point:

WORTHINGTON is a good manager- he is on a steep learning curve this season and he is bound to make the odd mistake.

But if we sack him we take thirty paces back and with not much gain.

He will then go to another club with what he has learnt this year and we will rue the day we lost him. And all cos we couldn''t cope with struggling a bit.

So before blaming Worthy because we are a newly promoted side who are struggling to keep up with the rich clubs (thouhg not out of touch) THINK<

We do not want to shoot ourselves in the foot- or fall on our swords- because we can only see to the end of this season as success/failure...

...the future is bigger. much bigger...if we can persist. Curbishley was naive in his first PREM season. I bet Charlton would be playing Crewe this Saturday,four useless managers later,  if they had sacked him as a result...

Must agree with you Vic - anyone would think we were about 20 points adrift of the nearest club yet here we are on the same number of points and within easy touching distance of most clubs.  What did some fans expect - European football in the first season. 

Well said Vic, you summed it up pretty good, ( result of regular sermonising perhaps ?)

Bananaman, don''t understand the Strachan bit, have I missed something ?

Sorry, didn''t explain myself. Am too angry.

Instead of letting Worthy p*** our hard-earned cash up the wall on some players that he won''t then bother playing, I would rather use that cash to attract a forward thinking manager of a proven calibre, who has done his learning already.

As I said, I am flaming angry, so apologies if I go too far.

I believe that everyone gets a fair chance to prove themselves, and I am honestly not willing to let NW waste any more of Norwich City''s cash on players that then lose their place/touch because of the "training" regime we seem to employ.

Be honest - we need A LOT more than just Dean Ashton.

Don''t disagree with you Vic, but from a fans perspective they only see what goes on on the park. From the comments I read here Worthy is taking too long to learn even given the steep learning curve.

If that is such a real problem what harm or good would it do to bring in someone to tutor Worthington that does have experience at this level?

I know we go down the well trodden road of "director of football" et al, but would it benefit the club to bring in say, a Venables, Sir Bobby or Strachan to help Worthy get his Premiership feet?

Can I first point out that I am not in favour of replacing Worthington, but I cannot agree that he has shown any reason we should think he can cut it at this level ?

Has he shown any reason to think he can spend money wisely ?

Maybe Im not in the right frame of mind to comment on this at the moment.

[quote]I am growing worried that people might do something rash due to short sightedness and disappointment. This time last year we would have given anything to be in the PREM even if we had only 50p to sp...[/quote]

Yet another ''sermon'' from the yes brigade.

Tiresome, Vicar.

Your timid ''with the pack'' views will be well appreciated by the board members.

But not other City fans like me, who are a shade more radical than your ''safe middle ground'' good self.

Sorry for the cheap shots, but that''s my nature I''m afraid!. 

To even consider replacing Worthington at this stage is sheer madness - he is on a long contract, and would demand an enormous pay-off if he were to be sacked, a pay-off we can ill afford to be spending at this moment in time.  And exactly what makes you think bananaman that Strachan would consider coming to a club in the bottom 3 of the Premiership, with no money to spend, in turmoil because they had just sacked their manager?

Even West Brom gave Smegson a second chance at the Prem before getting rid of him.  I''m with the vicar on this one....

I am by no means in the Worthy out camp yet, however, i think he needs to start learning a little bit faster than what he already is!

It took him 13 games to finally drop Gary Holt (but then brought him back assoon as he could) and has yet to re orgranise the defense to give us some height in their (Excluding Fulham and Newcastle, but he only did that because he had to!).

Shackell and Brennan must come in in place of Drury, and Fleming, and Svensson must be dropped for a few games.

Everyone can see it, but can Worthy? I doubt it.

I don''t want to see NW Sacked or leave but I really don''t see what exactly he needs to learn?  Even I know that PL football is a different game, so for someone like NW who played for years in the top flight it should be obvious!

If a manager can''t organise HIS team and HIS players which HE bought and HE trains without having go through some sort of learning process then something is severly wrong!  NW needs to do is learn from his mistakes in team selection and tactics and he will be OK.  He also needs to stop dropping and selling players due to personality clashes. 

What we need is a good sports psychologist and not just Worthy''s attempts at instilling motivational thinking in his players. Teams that have been successful this year have all used sports psychology in a major way: Woodward applied it almost daily during England rugby training sessions, and most of the players used the same psychologist from London as mentioned in their autobiographies. Olympians use psychologists a lot, so too do Arsenal and Chelsea (to a similar degree as the rugby), even university sports teams use them at times.
They are becoming an integral part of any sports set-up because mind games is the one step that cannot be learned on the training pitch, but might just make the difference over the season. The only downside is they cost a packet to hire.

[quote]I am by no means in the Worthy out camp yet, however, i think he needs to start learning a little bit faster than what he already is! It took him 13 games to finally drop Gary Holt (but then brought ...[/quote]

Phah, Er no I can''t see it!

Brennan, better than Drury, doubt it, in fact he looks rather mediocre, maybe a little better than Drury going forward but a poorer defender.

Shackell instead of Fleming, based on what? he is young and very inexperienced. I realise that you players need a chance but suggesting he is the solution to our defensive problems is wishful thinking.

[quote]Yet another ''sermon'' from the yes brigade. Tiresome, Vicar. Your timid ''with the pack'' views will be well appreciated by the board members. But not other City fans like me, who are a shade more rad...[/quote]

Wiz, my friend, with the greatest of respect you are renegading on your long held edict that everyone is "entitled to their opinion" and "that it is what the Forum is all about". How many times have you said that ?

Now it seems that everyone who disagrees with your views gets slagged off and called fools, idiots, timid and goodness knows what by you in numerous threads.

You said once you tend to shoot from the hip, you are now shooting from every nook and cranny of your body.

Come on get back to your reasoning self mate .

[quote]I am by no means in the Worthy out camp yet, however, i think he needs to start learning a little bit faster than what he already is! It took him 13 games to finally drop Gary Holt (but then brought ...[/quote]

Phah, no i can''t see it!

How is Shackell the solution to our defensive problems? wishful thinking I believe.

As for Brennan in place of Drury, well maye he is better at going forward but he is not as good defensively.