Sign in to follow this  
Barclay hero

Away game tickets - the fairest way?

[quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

It''s simple and fair. The supporters who have been to the most games get first dibs when it counts.

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, Tim. Makes me laugh when all these part timers start complaining about not getting tickets. The people who go to the games, get priority, simple.

[/quote]

It''s not quite that simple though is it? Take Colchester, somebody who has been a season ticket holder for ten years and had done eight away trips in the last 12 months had just as much chance of getting a ticket as somebody who had just purchased a half season ticket.

How on earth can that be considered fair?

[/quote]

A borderline for priority groups has to be drawn somewhere. I think 10 away games a year is a fair enough amount of games to be given 2nd highest priority after Away Season ticket holders. There will always be people with 8 stubs who will complain, 7 stubs who will complain and people who haven''t been to a game in 10 years who will complain about not getting tickets etc etc.

Taking your hypothetical scenario on board, perhaps another priority group should be made between ST holders with 10 stubs and ST holders with no stubs. Maybe ST holders with 5 stubs?  As mentioned previously the ticket office are stretched and it''s extra admin for them so it''s doubtful anything will change soon.

It''s always amazed me that the ticket office ask for away ticket stubs, they have a record of every bodies ticket purchases, so use it !

You can buy used ticket stubs on eBay !

[quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

It''s simple and fair. The supporters who have been to the most games get first dibs when it counts.

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, Tim. Makes me laugh when all these part timers start complaining about not getting tickets. The people who go to the games, get priority, simple.

[/quote]

It''s not quite that simple though is it? Take Colchester, somebody who has been a season ticket holder for ten years and had done eight away trips in the last 12 months had just as much chance of getting a ticket as somebody who had just purchased a half season ticket.

[/quote]

A borderline for priority groups has to be drawn somewhere. I think 10 away games a year is a fair enough amount of games to be given 2nd highest priority after Away Season ticket holders. There will always be people with 8 stubs who will complain, 7 stubs who will complain and people who haven''t been to a game in 10 years who will complain about not getting tickets etc etc.

Taking your hypothetical scenario on board, perhaps another priority group should be made between ST holders with 10 stubs and ST holders with no stubs. Maybe ST holders with 5 stubs?  As mentioned previously the ticket office are stretched and it''s extra admin for them so it''s doubtful anything will change soon.

[/quote]

I agree with the suggestion of a new band with five stubs. It is understandable that supporters that travel away quite regularly (not everybody can do ten, whether for financial or geographical limitations) are annoyed when others get tickets for Ipswich or Colchester and it''s their first game of the season (and it does happen).

Thinking back, I''m sure there was a five stub band some years ago.

The current system for away ticket allocations has been in place for a number of years and, I suppose, most fans would judge its fairness, or otherwise, on whether or not they were sucessful in securing tickets on the few occasions it''s actually been used each season?

There are two fundamental problems with the current system that stand out for me.

Firstly, given the number of season ticket holders the Club enjoys, category 3, the chances for anyone getting tickets if they''re in categories four or five is pretty close to zero.

Category three is always going to be over subscribed and therefore subject to a draw, which is a complete lottery. Personally, it was slightly irritating to miss out on the Colchester draw, if only because it''s the closest away game to me and I drive past the ground every other week on my way to Carrow Road.

The second point, when it''s a phone in for tickets, the ticket office only require one customer ID, but you can usually buy as many tickets as you like. I''ve purchased tickets for two other season ticket holders for both the away games at Southend and Orient. However, the Club has know way of knowing who the other two purchases are for, as they simply don''t ask.

"hey swindon canary you won''t have far to travel to saturdays game you going?"

Ya, of course I''m going, it''s my only home match of the season !

[quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="E Block Loyal"][quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with the suggestion of a new band with five stubs. It is understandable that supporters that travel away quite regularly (not everybody can do ten, whether for financial or geographical limitations) are annoyed when others get tickets for Ipswich or Colchester and it''s their first game of the season (and it does happen).

Thinking back, I''m sure there was a five stub band some years ago.

[/quote]

You are correct in thinking that, wondered why it was changed, I missed out on Colchester after travelling to Yeovil, Exeter and Southampton all long trips, was absolutely gutted especially when I was hearing people say I borrowed a mates season ticket and got one, not been to any away games or even Carrow Road all season, bloody annoying

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"] I would say very very rarely do tickets not go on general sale. I think Charlton will be the first time this year there has been ballot. [/quote]

Obviously a new supporter!  What about the ballot for the Colchester away game this year?

[quote user="benedictgr"]I think they should put a new "Priority level" in at 5 away match stubs. I currently have 9 and I think it''s unfair that I would be put in the same ballot as people who have none.[/quote]

Thing is, what happens in a few years time, when we may well be in a situation where people who has 5 tabs get tickets and lower priorities dont. Will people with 4 stubs start wanting their own category because they dont have 5 but dont want to be grouped with people who have 0. Like someone said before, everyone would love to have the system changed into their favour, but it might be best to just leave it because whichever way its done someone is going to be unhappy

[quote user="swindoncanary"]

"hey swindon canary you won''t have far to travel to saturdays game you going?"

Ya, of course I''m going, it''s my only home match of the season !

[/quote]Hi Swindon,Where do you suggest for pre-match pints?The Cricket Club, The Merlin or somewhere in the Town Centre?

I think for general sale games like Orient, Tickets should go on sale to Season Ticket Holders/Super Members first on a 1 per ticket system, maybe for a week, then members then general sale, all this buy as many as you like doesn''t sound particulary fare to me,

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"] I would say very very rarely do tickets not go on general sale. I think Charlton will be the first time this year there has been ballot. [/quote]

Obviously a new supporter!  What about the ballot for the Colchester away game this year?

[/quote]Honestly people need to just get over it.Plan ahead, if you don''t get tickets it''s either tough luck or target the home ends!

[quote user="Klobo7"][quote user="benedictgr"]I think they should put a new "Priority level" in at 5 away match stubs. I currently have 9 and I think it''s unfair that I would be put in the same ballot as people who have none.[/quote] Thing is, what happens in a few years time, when we may well be in a situation where people who has 5 tabs get tickets and lower priorities dont. Will people with 4 stubs start wanting their own category because they dont have 5 but dont want to be grouped with people who have 0. Like someone said before, everyone would love to have the system changed into their favour, but it might be best to just leave it because whichever way its done someone is going to be unhappy[/quote]

Yeah I understand what yous saying but I think 10 away stubs in 12 months is quite a lot anyway. Having 5 away stubs would be a more reasonable amount.

[quote user="benedictgr"]

[quote user="Klobo7"][quote user="benedictgr"]I think they should put a new "Priority level" in at 5 away match stubs. I currently have 9 and I think it''s unfair that I would be put in the same ballot as people who have none.[/quote] Thing is, what happens in a few years time, when we may well be in a situation where people who has 5 tabs get tickets and lower priorities dont. Will people with 4 stubs start wanting their own category because they dont have 5 but dont want to be grouped with people who have 0. Like someone said before, everyone would love to have the system changed into their favour, but it might be best to just leave it because whichever way its done someone is going to be unhappy[/quote]

Yeah I understand what yous saying but I think 10 away stubs in 12 months is quite a lot anyway. Having 5 away stubs would be a more reasonable amount.

[/quote]Considering the season lasts about 9 months, you are looking at an average of over 1 away game per month.Swindon will be my 9th away game this season and Leyton Orient my 10th (although I have lost my ticket stub for Hartlepool and was in the Home end at Colchester so not sure if they will accept that).Also likely to be in the home end at Charlton if I miss out on the ballot.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="benedictgr"]

[/quote]Considering the season lasts about 9 months, you are looking at an average of over 1 away game per month.Swindon will be my 9th away game this season and Leyton Orient my 10th (although I have lost my ticket stub for Hartlepool and was in the Home end at Colchester so not sure if they will accept that).Also likely to be in the home end at Charlton if I miss out on the ballot.[/quote]If they do not accept ticket stubs from City fans sitting in the home end at grounds when they have ran a ballot for oversubscribed matches and this has been our only way of watching that particular game, then it becomes even harder for those fans who may be trying to ensure that they can apply for tickets under Group 1 in the next ballot.I am probably not the only one who may see 10 away games this season and in the clubs eyes may of only seen 8 or 9.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="benedictgr"]

[/quote]

Considering the season lasts about 9 months, you are looking at an average of over 1 away game per month.

Swindon will be my 9th away game this season and Leyton Orient my 10th (although I have lost my ticket stub for Hartlepool and was in the Home end at Colchester so not sure if they will accept that).

Also likely to be in the home end at Charlton if I miss out on the ballot.

[/quote]

Yeah and considering we play half of our games at home (an average of two a month) that is quite a lot of games to get to.

whats the problem? I pitched up at the box office on the monday they went on sale and bought two wthout question.

PS Nice one Fulham...beating those diving greasy italians

[quote user="Woman in the Stands (WITS)"]Several years ago there used to be a group for ST holders and 5 stubs but I believe Andy Cullen did away with it. I''m sure I registered 5 one year. Can someone confirm I''ve not remembered incorrectly?

You are correct, I remember that too, should bring it back.

[quote user="benedictgr"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="benedictgr"]

[/quote]

Considering the season lasts about 9 months, you are looking at an average of over 1 away game per month.

Swindon will be my 9th away game this season and Leyton Orient my 10th (although I have lost my ticket stub for Hartlepool and was in the Home end at Colchester so not sure if they will accept that).

Also likely to be in the home end at Charlton if I miss out on the ballot.

[/quote]

Yeah and considering we play half of our games at home (an average of two a month) that is quite a lot of games to get to.

[/quote]

I would appreciate a non s/t holder but 5 stubs group, but that would be me changing the rules to suit my own case. Living up North, having a home season ticket is not feasible and it is very difficult to get to games down south. Orient will be 6th away game of the season, having done most of the Northern away grounds this season.