Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Bye bye Ian Crook?

I would be surprised to see him stay. We don''t know of his input into "Team Lambert" but I can''t imagine the club will bend over backwards to keep him. I think his family will stay in Oz and he will return to them. As a City legend on the field I would say thanks for the great memories Ian.

Haven''t heard he''s leaving or going anywhere so who''s your source or are you just speculating?

[quote user="cityangel"]

Haven''t heard he''s leaving or going anywhere so who''s your source or are you just speculating?

[/quote]

Todays EDP CA saying he has not signed a new contract and will talk to Lambert etc etc.

Todays EDP "Crook considering his future"

Meant to say also that he was the best exponent of the weighted pass I''ve ever seen in a City shirt.

Can''t say that I''m fussed if he goes. I''m surprised that Lambert has kept him on although perhaps it made "political" sense not to kick out yet another Norwich "legend" as he was on a short term contract anyway.

It spoke volumes that when team Fester crashed, he survived.

I''ve total respect for Chippy whatever the outcome of the talks, and wish him well.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Does pulling out of the reserve league (again!) have any bearing on Chippy''s future?

[/quote]

I Would think it has a major bearing....although Gossy has just been brought in to the reserve set up hasn''t he? Can''t see Crook staying part of me thinks he was a token gesture on Lambo''s part towards the fans by keeping him at the club in short term!

BTW anyone know were Butterworth went I could have sworn I saw him in Morrisons near CR the other day?????

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I''ve total respect for Chippy whatever the outcome of the talks, and wish him well.

[/quote]I think it just speaks about the contract he insisted on to justifiy upping sticks from Australia and coming here Wiz. The club decided it was better to use him for 18 months than pay him off.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I think it just speaks about the contract he insisted on to justifiy upping sticks from Australia and coming here Wiz. The club decided it was better to use him for 18 months than pay him off.
[/quote]That makes sense Nuff Said.

Crook IS my favourite NCFC player ever!(closely followed by DarrenEadie and...er? Dean Coney ;0))

I wish him all the best if its true. Plus his accent is one of the best east London/essex accents left...you dont hear ''em like that anymore?! All "street/urban" ting g''wan now dem.

I was quite surprised to learn that his family were still based in Oz. He obviously didn''t want to risk upping sticks completely and relocating to Norfolk when he took his job on with City. You wonder if the British weather has finally swayed him after one of the worst winters in about twenty years. He must be pining for that glorious sunshine down under. Good luck to him what ever he chooses to do.

Didn''t realise that he''d spent the best part of 3 years away from his family so understand his need to maybe go home. Shame that his family didn''t move back here with him as would have liked him to stay here as part of our club.

Good Luck to him if he decides to return when his contract runs out in June.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Didn''t realise that he''d spent the best part of 3 years away from his family so understand his need to maybe go home. Shame that his family didn''t move back here with him as would have liked him to stay here as part of our club.

Good Luck to him if he decides to return when his contract runs out in June.[/quote]

He is going to talk to Lambert and that he has been offered a contract.

Reading between the lines one could assume that he is looking into his prospects. I would think it may depend on the length of contract offered and possibly the oppertunities for career progression / involvement with the first team.

I always thought he wanted a long term contract to bring his family back but maybe he wants to know what Lambert wants of him first before comitting to more time away from his family?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Same here mate

From what he is saying, it sounds like it would be best for all parties if they went their separate ways at the end of the season. Lambert will want his own man in which is understandable and Crooky wants to be with his family. Got a lot time for Chippy, Butterworth and Gunny but the legends combination was never going to work.

Crook was the best and most technically gifted player I have ever seen in a City shirt - if he goes it will be a shame but I would wish him nothing but success in whatever he does next.  A true City legend.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Good Luck to him if he decides to return when his contract runs out in June.

[/quote]Would agree with that CA... would love to see Chippy stay... [Y]I think he is a very talented guy and the club would do well to keep hold of him and groom him for a long term career here in my opinion.Good luck to Ian wherever he decides his future lay.Oh how I wish I still had my "Ian Crook is a football genius!" banner... it would of had to of been given an outing between now and the end of the season.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

From what he is saying, it sounds like it would be best for all parties if they went their separate ways at the end of the season. Lambert will want his own man in which is understandable and Crooky wants to be with his family. Got a lot time for Chippy, Butterworth and Gunny but the legends combination was never going to work.

[/quote]Lambert will not find any better than Chippy for 3rd/4th in charge, I am pretty sure about that!

Chippy in charge of the reserves is a great thing. I''m not convinced by his coaching but only because he hasn''t had the experience. But to have him in charge of the Ressies can only be a good thing because he is pure football in his ethos. Anyone that can read a game like Crook and pass like him can only be good for the development . Remember the free kick drill he did with Bowen when he hit it inside the full back with back spin? One of the greatest players to wear the shirt.

PS He can''t spot a player. I think he had a lot to do with Killen and Theo!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

Lambert will not find any better than Chippy for 3rd/4th in charge, I am pretty sure about that!
[/quote]

Have to say I agree with you buddy.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]Lambert will not find any better than Chippy for 3rd/4th in charge, I am pretty sure about that![/quote]

Have to say I agree with you buddy.

[/quote]What has surprised me WAY is that from the little I have seen of Chippy in his current role, he comes across as very strict and not a guy to mess with.  We all knew that he was a football genius, but in his playing days he was also a bit of a joker too.  I have seen him up close in his current role a couple of times and all of the players seem to respect him as a coach, not only for what he did in the game as a player, but because he talks sense and seems to be strict but fair with regards to discipline.

I would be truly gutted to see him go. Was pretty much in tears when i knew he was coming back. He was my boyhood hero and an absolute genius with the ball at his feet. The best footballer i have ever seen in a city shirt for me!

I would suggest that he has had as much influence as Culverhouse and Lambert. I rate him and hope he stays. If not, I hope he gets a decent job, although I suspect he would go back to Oz if he left here. Not really much of a choice, Oz or shitty England...

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I would suggest that he has had as much influence as Culverhouse and Lambert. I rate him and hope he stays. If not, I hope he gets a decent job, although I suspect he would go back to Oz if he left here. Not really much of a choice, Oz or shitty England...[/quote]

I think Chippy is a legend and it would be a shame if he left but that is slightly overstating his influence/underestimating the management team brought in after ''Team Legends'' isnt it??

[quote user="DGC"]I would be truly gutted to see him go. Was pretty much in tears when i knew he was coming back. He was my boyhood hero and an absolute genius with the ball at his feet. The best footballer i have ever seen in a city shirt for me![/quote]Agree 100%. We will be the poorer without him I have no doubt. My all time favourite player - yep even ahead of quality like Sutton, Eadie and Hucks. Importantly he seems to have been content just doing his job in the present set up and doing it well. Great player and a good guy.

personally i will go with what ever lambert decides. we maybe have a gifted manager and we ought to let him decide where the future of our club lies. for chippy i wish him all the luck in the world.

yep, for me he''s a bigger hero than hucks (sorry hucks). Actually feel quite lucky to have seen him play for city to be honest. I''ll never forget seeing him run towards the city fans to take a throw at Leeds when we were relegated with tears in his eyes. Compare that to the charlton lot last year!

[quote user="DGC"]yep, for me he''s a bigger hero than hucks (sorry hucks). Actually feel quite lucky to have seen him play for city to be honest. I''ll never forget seeing him run towards the city fans to take a throw at Leeds when we were relegated with tears in his eyes. Compare that to the charlton lot last year!
[/quote]

That''s right, I didn''t see him run towards the Norwich fans with tears in his eyes at Charlton either. I saw him play many times and there was no doubt that he was a class above. It''s not relevant to compare him with Huckerby as they are two completely different players. I enjoyed watching Crook play and appreciated his skill, poise on the ball and vision. Watching Huckerby play was entirely different, a pacey, skilful attacking player he was always exciting to watch. Different emotions.

It was significant that Crook stayed after Gunn went. It was Gunn who had the good sense to persuade Crook to be part of his team and it may have been significant that Crook didn''t resign as a display of solidarity with the man who brought him back to Norwich as perhaps some might have expected. It''s sad that when I think of Crook now I am reminded that it was he who introduced Theo Kalamitous. Another player who is a Norwich legend but for very different reasons. Crook was undoubtedly a really good player but I wonder how good he really is on the management side. I will be interested to see whether Lambert really Crook to stay as a 3rd/4th assistant or whether he simply doesn''t offer to renew Crook''s contract.