hey, i was just wondering what u lot would think of norwich playin a 4-5-1 formation, it seems to b working quite well for teams like everton and chealse! if we did play this formation my team would be:

green

edworthy           fleming            charloton             drury

jonson       mulryne        francis      helveg            huckerby

mckenzie

what u all think??????????????????????

My team would be barring injurys.

green

edworthy           fleming            docherty or shackell            charlton

bently or johnson        safri         francis      helveg            huckerby

mckenzie

Dury IMO is just not up to premier standard going forward he is terrible and his passing to hucks is cronic i would put charlton there as he is a natural left back and IMO a better player than dury. Bently and johnson have both been dissapointing but not many option with this formation.

You know it just might work, with Francis or Hux running through to be the second striker when we have the ball, very interesting!! Some might say 4-5-1 is a bit negative but with our record of goals from midfield then I think it may work. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I feel a lone striker must be more capable than Leon of holding the ball up while the midfield cavalry charge through!! I feel this formation would be at least worth a shot away from home, ie Chelski!

I''ve been banging the 4-5-1 drum since i saw it pre-season against Cambridge. I gave up long ago tho since NW doesn''t seem interested in giving it a go. Ok, Cambridge were very minor opposition but what struck me about it was the adaptability of it. Some might say it''s negative but it''s not at all - in posession, the two wide men, McVeigh and Bentley against Cambridge, move up to join and supply the lone striker and it becomes 4-3-3. When the opposition have the ball, the wide men fall back into midfield and harry to regain possession. And our midfield desperately needs to do that and to retain the ball better which it should do with an extra man in there.

It''s a mystery to me why Worthy won''t give it a go given;

a) the success that Everton have had with it

b) the fact that he HAS tried it and seen it work very well

c) the number of, and different kinds of, midfielders we have who are half decent - Francis, Jonson, Helveg, Bentley, McVeigh, Safri, Brennan, Huckerby

4-5-1 would be perfect for away games.

And maybe even 5-4-1 and play with a sweeper at the back (Shackell maybe?) to try and stop all these goals we keep letting in! Let''s remember our goals scored talley isn''t too bad at all for a team that''s just come out of Division One, it''s the goals were letting in thats the problem

that is exactly what ive been thinking! it will give us more strength at the back and will get rid of svensson. huckerby wouldn''t have to get back so much as there is 4 other mids so he could basically goes where he likes! mckenzie will work his socks off all day, causing problems. come on nige, u know it makes sense!

I think it would nice in that Hucks would have a totally free role, roaming wherever he wants. Some people think Huckerby should be a striker but his best work is done running with the ball, so with the 5 man midfield it gives him the ability to pick the ball up deep and run with it without too much risk, afterall if he loses possession we still have a packed midfield.

I''ve advocated this formation elsewhere and think it would better suit the need to keep possession of the ball which was woeful on Saturday and to stop us conceding. Against teams who have attacking instincts such as Bolton and away from home this might give us more of a platform. We still seem to have this dreadful tendency to lump the ball up from the back bypassing the midfield and hope that Svensson or McKenzie get on the end of it. While the long ball is OK occasionally to vary the pattern of play and when the opposition are stretched at the back it''s played far too much. If we had a holding midfield player such as Helveg or Safri we might hoof it less and have more options as to who to pass to. It does also depend on players finding space and being prepared to run outside of their predicted channels an area where Huckerby was very disappointing on Saturday.

[quote]I''ve been banging the 4-5-1 drum since i saw it pre-season against Cambridge. I gave up long ago tho since NW doesn''t seem interested in giving it a go. Ok, Cambridge were very minor opposition but wh...[/quote]

Me too - watching MotD on Saturday night, the winners of the first 3 matches all played a 4-5-1 formation. This is the n''th thread in the last month on the topic of a different formation. The 5 across the middle would allow more variety in the play and give most of the midfielders a chance to work together.

We don''t have much money to spend, so why spend it when the strikers'' goal drought could be shored up by removing one and packing the midfield where we might tend to lose the ball more. 

I agree with the sentiment of almost everyone else who has replied. We have to try 4-5-1. Let''s hope that Francis is soon available to be part of that midfield.

4-5-1 has definite merits but playing I fail to see how playing 5 midfielders who cant find a lone striker will get us more goals - I can see less goals scored and conceeded though.

The real long terms answer is not in formations but in getting whichever defence we put out to defend as a unit, for them and the midfield to push further up field, at the same time learning how to pass to strikers who provide them with options through intelligent movement - which currently only Hux can provide.

That needs our most talented players on the pitch in their best positions with as much a work ethic as we have at the moment.

At the moment the only thing the team does well from game to game is committment - and that is the one thing worthy deserves praise for. Now we need that touch of class.

OTBC

If only worthy was reading this thread.

!!!!!!!!IT COULD KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO HIM!!!!!!!

it worked for Fulham but i think you are resorting to 1 striker because that''s all we''ve got. Leon despite his critics is the best we''ve got up front. I''m not including Hucks because he''s a striker/midfield hybrid (and hence the arguments). The fact that some can''t choose between Jonson and Bentley is because they''re both mediocre.I''d give the following a try (can''t be any worse than Saturday) :- Greenedworthy Fleming Shackell Charlton Huckerby Safri Francis Brennan Jarvis Mckenzie

[quote]4-5-1 has definite merits but playing I fail to see how playing 5 midfielders who cant find a lone striker will get us more goals - I can see less goals scored and conceeded though. The real long ter...[/quote]

4-5-1 can be an attacking formation - it depends on the players. In theory:

Green

Edworthy  Fleming  Charlton/Shackell  Drury

Bentley/Jonson/Hendo  Helveg  Francis  Safri  Huckerby

MacKenzie

is an attacking formation because you have 3 midfielders who can get forward when we have the ball, making 4-2-4. When we don''t have the ball, they drop back and defend and pressurise the opposition''s midfield. In theory. Trouble is, most of the time we don''t have the ball, and when we get it back we lump it forward without giving time for them to get up.

Shim, You''ve obviously been listening far too closely to me and your Dad on our way to every game this season! The idea will work, and it''s up to Worthy to bite the bullet and at least try to find a solution to our sometimes woeful performances.4-5-1 is the way forward, and with the injuries starting to eat into our limited resources we need something very soon.

See you for the Bolton, and listen out for your next thread!