Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

An indication of how far we come

I''m sure that the regular doom mongers will pick over the entrails of today''s game and pronounce that we are still by no means certain of even going up, but, despite the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser, look at the bigger picture. Col Who lost to a side who played over  half a game with 10 men for the second consecutive week, Charlton drew and Leeds will be under immense pressure on Monday.

With 27 points left to play for we are still 12 clear of the playoff places and 8 ahead of Leeds. Yes, if they win on Monday that could be down to 5, and, yes, if they win at Carra next week it would be down to 2, but we have the easier run in (and in any case I don''t see them beating us). We have the points and the position and all the pressure is on the chasing pack. If the third placed side won EVERY game until the end of the season we would have to lose 4 of our remaining games and have a superior goal difference of 20 reversed to drop into the play offs. We ARE going up, the only issue is whether it''s first or second, so chill out and enjoy the rest of the ride.

By not losing to Swindon we eliminated the admittedly slim chance that they could overtake us.

Now it is only Leeds, who certainly still could, and Charlton, whose chance is positively anorexic even if they beat us.

---

PS. Beau, thanks for Kosich''s email address.

Smudge will be here around 1135 saying Lappin was crap, Mcnamee should start, he has been right all the time bla bla.

And he has the cheek to say Delia has come back in the limelight as we are doing well, suddenly he starts going again... Maybe he is a lucky charm.

Not happy with conceding a late goal, but a point away from home against a top 6 team is not to be sniffed at, as long as we go and stuff Leeds next week, I will be happy.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]By not losing to Swindon we eliminated the admittedly slim chance that they could overtake us. Now it is only Leeds, who certainly still could, and Charlton, whose chance is positively anorexic even if they beat us. --- PS. Beau, thanks for Kosich''s email address.[/quote]

No problem PC. Was your communication  fruitful?

Actually beau mate, although you make some good points and some people will no doubt do as you mention...i am happy with a point today, just peed off it was in injury time....I rate Swindon, and would rather they went up with us than Leeds...they have a good home record and we could easily have come unstuck today, and by all accounts Swindon did batter us for long periods....so a point gained IMO.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Strange isn''t it, how a draw feels like a defeat when we are so used to winning! [:)][/quote]

That was the point of the thread title (which I now see contains a very embarrassing typo!). We now EXPECT to win, even against a side that''s just beaten Saints away. Good times!

Its only because it was in the 90th minute that it feels raw, if it had been us scoring in the 90th we would all be very happy with still the same point being gained.Leeds have a very very difficult game on Monday and then have to come to our place..... I know whos position I would rather be in!

Point gained at this stage in the season, away from Home at 4th place Swindon.

[quote user="Arthur John Locke Whittle"]Actually beau mate, although you make some good points and some people will no doubt do as you mention...i am happy with a point today, just peed off it was in injury time....I rate Swindon, and would rather they went up with us than Leeds...they have a good home record and we could easily have come unstuck today, and by all accounts Swindon did batter us for long periods....so a point gained IMO.[/quote]

Me too Arthur. They''ve just beaten Saints (the only side I''ve seen outplay us in the League) away and are fourth. It''s a great result, and was nearly even better, but we can''t be greedy! I''d also like to see them go up with us, they''re a nice club.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]By not losing to Swindon we eliminated the admittedly slim chance that they could overtake us. Now it is only Leeds, who certainly still could, and Charlton, whose chance is positively anorexic even if they beat us. --- PS. Beau, thanks for Kosich''s email address.[/quote]

[/quote]Not yet Beau, but this week I''ve been busy entertaining the visitors from hell (otherwise known as Planet Normal) who seem to think I should spend my time supplying them with food and alcohol[<:o)] and at least half-intelligent conversation rather than obsessing about football! Some people, eh?[:D]

Sack Lambert and replace the back four!!!!!Only joking!I agree with you Beaseant, 4 points from 6 for 2 away games is good and promotion winning form.  Usually say average of 2 points per game gives you promotion and we are already up on that.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Not yet Beau, but this week I''ve been busy entertaining the visitors from hell (otherwise known as Planet Normal) who seem to think I should spend my time supplying them with food and alcohol[<:o)] and at least half-intelligent conversation rather than obsessing about football! Some people, eh?[:D]
[/quote]

I wouldn''t give house room to anyone who didn''t  prostrate themselves before a shrine to Grant Holt at least twice a day ![:D]

[quote user="birchfest"]Its only because it was in the 90th minute that it feels raw, if it had been us scoring in the 90th we would all be very happy with still the same point being gained.

Leeds have a very very difficult game on Monday and then have to come to our place..... I know whos position I would rather be in!

Point gained at this stage in the season, away from Home at 4th place Swindon.
[/quote]

That''s a very good way at looking at it!

I think we called it right Beau and 1-1  is a good result

Promoted at Charlton sounds VERY appetising and will lay a ghost or three[:D]

Good post Beau, agree with it entirely.

I''d have bitten someone''s hand off today if they offered me a point. Swindon have been on a great run recently (1-0 at S''oton, beat Leeds 3-0), It''s a great point for us, especially as nobody made up any ground either.

We''re in a better position now than we were at 3pm. No one''s looking like making up any ground.

Four points from Huddersfield and Swindon. Fine by me.

otbc

It is funny how the winning mentality gets into your head and you just expect to win once the team get ahead. Just like last season where I and probably most others generally went into games expecting to lose (particularly away from home)

It is remarkable to consider the turnaround. I remember going to the Wycombe game a mere 7 months ago and thinking, if we could just sneak a win here, we might be able to get a little bit of form going.

Lambert''s record is astonishing, I think it''s 24 wins from 34 games? That is completely ridiculous and I doubt we''ll ever see that again (even if we should be at this level again)

I feel like most people, that the result today was good, but the manner of the draw was annoying. You can bet the players feel that way too and will be even more focussed next week.

The other results favoured us however and once the dust settles I''m sure we''ll all agree that it''s a point gained.

Im very happy. Four points from six away at Huddersfield and Swindon, great results.The way Swindon celebrated at the final whistle showed how good a point they thought it was.