Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Rick Waghorn's selective memory!

"Remember, this is a man who signed Francis from Wimbledon for little more than £250,000," says Rick proudly. Do we need to even bother giving the other side of that argument!?!

We are talking about, after all, the man who secured Neil Emblen for a snip at half a million, Marc Libbra for the same, Yousef Safri for the same, Matias Jonson for close to a million by all accounts and of course, the crowning triumph, Gary Doherty for 750k!

That''s 3.25 million''s worth of either junked, crocked or inappropriate players that aren''t going to or never did play for the club for any length of time.

Safri and Jonson could, i emphasise could, turn out to be useful but time is running out fast for them and worthy. They were not bought as make weights or squad players. Gary D could be a useful squad member but more for Div 1 and not at that price.

So come on Rick, let''s not be so one eyed, your readers aren''t that stupid!

A1 - are you trying to incite a mood of discontent against Worthy?!?

I think most people on here would agree with your examples of Libbra, Emblen and Doherty, but given their chance (which they haven''t really properly had in the 1st team), Jonson and Safri could turn out for the better. Jonson is definitely a cut above his colleagues IMO with his international experience, but isn''t played in his forward position as he does for Sweden. When I have seen Safri live, he has done well for me; everybody makes mistakes, but Safri can also make some good moves and spread the ball well.

The increasing injury crisis should give Jonson and Safri more of a chance to prove themselves with the regulars out.

While I have faith in Worthy any Norwich supporter would be blinkered to think that all if his transfers have been great. The majority have frankly been a waste of money. You''re talking close to three million wasted on transfer fees and wages/contract terminations for players who''ve merely been on the fringe.

This season has seen the good, the bad and the ugly but we were taking a chance with the small budget and some of the players coudl still work out. Others I didn''t see the point in signing them

The truth is a lot of the signings haven''t been great, and there''s a good argument for having someone else take care of transfer dealings because that''s cost the club a lot of money. But realistically, how can anyone guarantee that a player will do exactly what it says on the tin? There aren''t many bargains like Francis or Drury or Edworthy (whatever you think of them, they''re worth much more to NCFC than we paid for them) to be had.

All managers make mistakes and buy players who dont fulfill their potential...Alex Feruguson has made more than a few himself (Ronaldo, Saha, Poborsky, That swedish winger who i cant remember the name of he was so good!,Djemba Djemba , Kleberson..these are just the recent ones too) but some managers only get remembered for their good signings.

I still think Safri, Jonson, Doherty and Helveg may prove to be better signings as time goes on..in fact where would be be without them at the moment with all these injuries? we would have to play a team full of youngsters who would get beaten comprehensivley and have their confidence destroyed for a long time!

Can you name any managers who haven''t signed a few dud players in the past? even the best do it, look at Ferguson and Wenger. Don''t see them getting stick for buying flops. remember Forlan, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Barthez, Stepanovs, Wiltord....

Its true that Worthy hasn''t spent wisely on the big money buys, but he is certainly not alone

Lets face it worthington has a terrible transfer record.

Francis - bought in because O''Connor went to WBA

Huckerby - bought in because we missed out on Connoly, Hulse, Taylor & King

So basically, his two best signings were down to the fact that missed out on his main transfer targets. Lets hope the board don''t give in to his petty mind games and pay off some of this 18million debt we have.

Not trying to incite anything Brum, i''m just really wound up about all this 1.2 million nonsense and the fact that it''d be a lot more if we''d spent a little more carefully. That''s not to say i could have done better mind - it''s easy from here i know!

Drury and Francis were indeed excellent value and given what they helped us achieve last year, svensson and leon were good value too. Huckerby was a risk but he delivered on the money we invested in him. Trouble is, now we are in the prem, none of the above with the exception of Francis, and on and off Huckerby, are delivering at the higher level. We need top top quality and we don''t have what it takes to get it. But we could have had. That''s what gets to me.

Unless of course this whole thing has been a big smoke screen and we pop up with a 2.5 million in January. If so, we''ll have cried wolf enough times and no-one''s ever going to believe anything our board comes out with again!! Still, will have been fun if it has the desired effect though!