Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Corners

Why do we not have a defender on the line at the near  post from a corner. Could have saved goals at Swindon and Huddersfield, well certainly the one at Swindon went head level just where defender would have been!

most don''t these days.when they debate this on football programmes managers always say check the opta states and zonal marking leaving the near post always comes out with the the best defensive records.. most argue but the stats don''t lie i guess..

In general we have not been too bad from corners. Its only Leeds, Huddersfield and Swindon that leap out at me where we have not defended them properly. Doc just slipped and allowed Greer a free header. It was just one of those things. I was at the game and I thought apart from that Doc was supreb and didnt lose a header.

[quote user="CJ"]Why do we not have a defender on the line at the near  post from a corner. Could have saved goals at Swindon and Huddersfield, well certainly the one at Swindon went head level just where defender would have been!
[/quote]

When the opposition are committing everyone forward ( as Swndon were) having defenders on the posts means that there will be two extra men after everyone else has gone one on one. It''s a gamble, in that you hope to block a header/shot or make sure it doesn''t get made in in the first place. Most times you''re ok, but if the delivery''s good and a defender slips (as Doc did) you''re not.