Sign in to follow this  
Methane

Time to bench marmite Martin?

Chris Martin works harder than any of our other forwards including Holt.Would people of been criticising if his free kick was an inch or so lower?  There were a handful of players who had worse games than Chris Martin yesterday.

[quote user="Smudger"]Chris Martin works harder than any of our other forwards including Holt.

Would people of been criticising if his free kick was an inch or so lower?  There were a handful of players who had worse games than Chris Martin yesterday.
[/quote]I noticed the OP was careful to omit that piece of information Smudger.

Yes, I''m a Chris Martin lover btw.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Good to see that the small minded, blinkered and ignorant about football faction is still alive and well and still spouting the same ill informed garbage.

As I''ve said so many times I''ve lost count, there is a group among us who will take every opportunity to climb into Chris Martin. I tend to think that Paul Lambert is a reasonably adept judge and note that he has kept Martin in the side throughout, but clearly Methane ( and what an appropriate moniker for someone who talks out of his arse) knows better than he does.

I agree that Chris is probably a bit tired, but just as Holty looked shocking for the first couple of games after his ban, and Wes disappeared for much of February, class has a tendency to come to the fore if you stick with it, and Chris Martin IS a class player, the clue to which ought to be the fact that the club were so keen to give him a three year contract, but, of course, they probably forgot to consult Methane first.

If Lambert thinks he needs a rest he''ll give him one and I, for one, am happy to trust his judgement, but the fact is that if he stays in and scores a hat trick against Leeds there will be someone on here slagging him off for something next Sunday.

[/quote]

Spot on.  21 year-olds are never going to be the finished article but Martin has ability in spades and is beginning to consistantly show it.  He was a post and a foot away from two more goals on Saturday.  Does a certain section of our support actually enjoy turning on our own kids?  Remember the treatment Kenton got?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Good to see that the small minded, blinkered and ignorant about football faction is still alive and well and still spouting the same ill informed garbage.

As I''ve said so many times I''ve lost count, there is a group among us who will take every opportunity to climb into Chris Martin. I tend to think that Paul Lambert is a reasonably adept judge and note that he has kept Martin in the side throughout, but clearly Methane ( and what an appropriate moniker for someone who talks out of his arse) knows better than he does.

I agree that Chris is probably a bit tired, but just as Holty looked shocking for the first couple of games after his ban, and Wes disappeared for much of February, class has a tendency to come to the fore if you stick with it, and Chris Martin IS a class player, the clue to which ought to be the fact that the club were so keen to give him a three year contract, but, of course, they probably forgot to consult Methane first.

If Lambert thinks he needs a rest he''ll give him one and I, for one, am happy to trust his judgement, but the fact is that if he stays in and scores a hat trick against Leeds there will be someone on here slagging him off for something next Sunday.

[/quote]

Spot on.  21 year-olds are never going to be the finished article but Martin has ability in spades and is beginning to consistantly show it.  He was a post and a foot away from two more goals on Saturday.  Does a certain section of our support actually enjoy turning on our own kids?  Remember the treatment Kenton got?

[/quote]

Exactly right, familiarity breeds contempt with a certain type of supporter.

Had we SIGNED a 21 year old with great natural finishing ability, two good feet, strength on the ball and free kick expertise and he''d scored 20 goals by March he would be the best thing since sliced bread (witness the uncritical lauding to the skies of the raw in the extreme Cody). Unfortunately because we''ve seen Martin warts and all some people can''t seem to move their brains past the arrogant, lazy teenager to the quality player we have today.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m sure people just don''t like him because he was getting into trouble in pubs. One of are best young prospects and people just can''t stop slating him.