Sign in to follow this  
Methane

Time to bench marmite Martin?

You either love him or hate him but you must all agree he''s the laziest high scoring forward and non-team player we''ve seen for a while.

First half yesterday ''''SUPER-CHRIS'''' barely shifted his bulky frame unless the ball was to his feet.

A dozen times the brilliant Rose was planted a back pass from Lappin only to have no movement up front to hit.

The game cried out for a winger.... martin and rose hitting diagonals into the box was so predictable.

One time we get to bye-line we cross decently and score.

Elliott won more ball in 20 minutes than Martin in 70. What does that tell us?

And another thing.... burn the white kit... anaemic kit = anaemic performance.

And the Robin looked more like an overgrown chicken.

And the Magic roundabout is not magic.

Apart from that a point was ok after we invited depleted swindon to dominate as soon as we scored.

Forster was excellent the rest need a rest before Leeds.

I don''t love or hate Chris Martin..... He can be lazy but only needs half a chance to put the ball in the back of the net. He''s only scored one in the last 5 so maybe it''s time to bench him. but on sat he might get that one half chance, we need to take to win the match?

[quote user="Methane"]No reply from the CM fanclub or are you all like him.. can''t be bothered.[/quote]This was covered in another thread, say something new and people might respond.

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="Methane"]No reply from the CM fanclub or are you all like him.. can''t be bothered.[/quote]This was covered in another thread, say something new and people might respond.[/quote][Y]

People called Gary Linekar a lazy striker as well, the point is the most important job of a striker is to score goals and Chris Martin has done that can''t really see how he can be criticized. Maybe if he started chasing after every last ball he wouldn''t end up in the great goalscoring positions he does?

I personally can''t see what there isn''t to like about Martin. He has scored 20 goals this season. He is a massive threat with his set piece taking and he is an intelligent player who link the play well. The only thing I would say is that we forget he is only 21. He has played a lot of football this season and I think he looks a little jaded. I would be in favour of resting him for one or two games but I think he is a more complete player than either Elliott or Johnson.

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="Methane"]No reply from the CM fanclub or are you all like him.. can''t be bothered.[/quote]

This was covered in another thread, say something new and people might respond.
[/quote]
[Y]
[/quote]

[Y]

I agree he hasn''t been at his best lately but we get the picture, people think he''s lazy, do we need a thread on it after every match? Probably not. Does he need to be dropped, probably wouldn''t do any harm but because he is lazy!? He has scored 20 goals this season by being lazy. I am pretty sure there are other top class strikers that don''t bust a gut for the team but still score plenty of goals.

You clearly don''t agree with Paul Lambert then who keeps subbing the lad because he''s made no useful contribution since mid-January.

[quote user="Methane"]You clearly don''t agree with Paul Lambert then who keeps subbing the lad because he''s made no useful contribution since mid-January.[/quote]

But i obviously agree with Paul Lambert because he hasn''t dropped him all season.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]I personally can''t see what there isn''t to like about Martin. He has scored 20 goals this season. He is a massive threat with his set piece taking and he is an intelligent player who link the play well. The only thing I would say is that we forget he is only 21. He has played a lot of football this season and I think he looks a little jaded. I would be in favour of resting him for one or two games but I think he is a more complete player than either Elliott or Johnson.[/quote]

I agree with this Martin is 21, oli johnson is 22 Cody is 23 .yet everyone say''s there players for the future Martin is supposed to be the compleat centre forward already. If Martin continues improving like he has he''ll be a very good player by the time he''s at his peak.

You can''t knock Martins contribution this season - 20 goals, great shooting ability, good dead ball skills but you can''t deny that his running, hold up play, pressing the opposition and general desire to do all those things have been poor in recent weeks!

I''d start him next Saturday purely because he is a threat from deadballs and can put the ball away but he has to buck his ideas up in other areas of his play!

"I agree with this Martin is 21, oli johnson is 22 Cody is 23 .yet everyone say''s there players for the future Martin is supposed to be the compleat centre forward already. If Martin continues improving like he has he''ll be a very good player by the time he''s at his peak."

Exactly what i was thinking. People are expecting to much of Martin but he has scored 20 goals in League 1 and is only 21 there isn''t much more you can ask for.

[quote user="Methane"]And you''re from Beccles... where Martin still has his drinking ban ASBO presumably.[/quote]Have you never got drunk before, or are you still waiting for that chance?

I think maybe you are being too generous because he scored three in the F.A.Cup against a non-league side whose name I forget.

The real question is that can he make it in the fizzy should  we go up?

It is ok to be " lazy but a prolific goal  scorer", but he is no Linekar and should contribute more.

He is enigmatic because occasionally he runs his socks off then next time prances around like a prima donna.

Yes he is young and possibly needs to be rested. 

Worth having in the squad.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I think maybe you are being too generous because he scored four in the F.A.Cup against a non-league side whose name I forget.

The real question is that can he make it in the fizzy should  we go up?

It is ok to be " lazy but a prolific goal  scorer", but he is no Linekar and should contribute more.

He is enigmatic because occasionally he runs his socks off then next time prances around like a prima donna.

Yes he is young and possibly needs to be rested. 

Worth having in the squad.

[/quote]http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~51059,00.htmlIn my view he is tired. He''s a young talent playing what is only his second full season at League level. With such a well established team that has high aims this season we can''t afford to play tired players, but we can afford to rest them on account of the quality we have at our disposal at the club.I think, atleast for our biggest games, we should aim to utilise the assetts that have the greatest potential to perform at that moment, and as good as Martin has been this season for someone of his age, his form has undoubtedly been in it''s descendancy for 4 or 5 games now (as someone has pointed out, it has only been one goal in the last 5 for Martin). This is while players like Elliot and Johnson have shown form impressive enough in their brief moments to more than warrant contention in a position that has been one of the major weaknesses for us in the past few games.In my view it would be a major mistake to start with Martin against Leeds. We need to function on ideal systems and formations appropriate to that moment if we want to get the best out of the game, and not merits. Although bringing him off the bench in the final moments of the game would not be out of question.However, for what it''s worth, i do feel most of his critics have made a notable error in failing to distinguish ''lazy'' from ''tired'' in their assessments of Martin. More has been asked of him this season than there ever has been, and for the most part he has impressed, and we need to account for that.

And just to add to some very good points BBjohn has made - in most of the games against big teams he has not been found wanting. Lets not forget that he wasn''t a first choice striker at the begining of the season. Gunn seemed to favour MacDonald or Cureton and the latter seemed to have favour with Lambert too.However against MK Dons and Leeds away Martin was arguably one of the better players on show. I think tired is right but perhaps there is confidence as well. Like I said, he is anything but lazy but if you have a player like Holt alongside you what you have to do is be where Holt isn''t not where he is. Holt plays how he enjoys to play, he isnt doing two mens work because he has to, he does it because it is the only way he knows how to play and he appears to love it. I just don''t think there is any point telling a player like Marting to do what Holt does because he is not Holt.Holt has 22 league goals from 34 appearences as a striker. Chris Martin has 14 in 33 league games. 8 goals difference is not bad when you take into account their ages and experience. Not sure where to look for assists either but I think Martin is an ideal old fashioned 2nd striker - he likes to link up with midfield and drive at the box.

Why do people go on about his work rate? Hes not a central midfielder....so why do people expect him to spend the whole game chasing the ball. Holt does the ''horse'' work up front and Chris Martins job is to lurk around the box, pick it up and put it in the back of the net.... like he has done 20 times this season! I dont understand this crazy reasoning that he has to be dropped... are we not top? are we going through a goal drought? 7 goals in our last three matches seems to suggest that as a team we are having no problems finding the back of the net, why change a winning formula?

it would take some fool of a manager to drop a striker who has scored 20 goals for his team in mid  march . nothing personel but to drop him would be crazy.

most if, not all teams in this division would love to throw martin straight in to the first team . he may not be brilliant ,but he doesnt have to be , hes a clinical finisher ,and doing his job ....very well.

on yesterdays showing I wouldn''t drop Martin for Elliot, everyone entitled to their opinion though. Though I do agree he may benefit from a rest

[quote user="Methane"]And you''re from Beccles... where Martin still has his drinking ban ASBO presumably.[/quote]

You wanna drop him cause of that? The year at Luton has done him the world of good and he is now focused on football not drinking and fighting. A rest wouldn''t harm him though, so long as its a rest not being dropped because he is ''to lazy''.

Good to see that the small minded, blinkered and ignorant about football faction is still alive and well and still spouting the same ill informed garbage.

As I''ve said so many times I''ve lost count, there is a group among us who will take every opportunity to climb into Chris Martin. I tend to think that Paul Lambert is a reasonably adept judge and note that he has kept Martin in the side throughout, but clearly Methane ( and what an appropriate moniker for someone who talks out of his arse) knows better than he does.

I agree that Chris is probably a bit tired, but just as Holty looked shocking for the first couple of games after his ban, and Wes disappeared for much of February, class has a tendency to come to the fore if you stick with it, and Chris Martin IS a class player, the clue to which ought to be the fact that the club were so keen to give him a three year contract, but, of course, they probably forgot to consult Methane first.

If Lambert thinks he needs a rest he''ll give him one and I, for one, am happy to trust his judgement, but the fact is that if he stays in and scores a hat trick against Leeds there will be someone on here slagging him off for something next Sunday.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Good to see that the small minded, blinkered and ignorant about football faction is still alive and well and still spouting the same ill informed garbage.

As I''ve said so many times I''ve lost count, there is a group among us who will take every opportunity to climb into Chris Martin. I tend to think that Paul Lambert is a reasonably adept judge and note that he has kept Martin in the side throughout, but clearly Methane ( and what an appropriate moniker for someone who talks out of his arse) knows better than he does.

I agree that Chris is probably a bit tired, but just as Holty looked shocking for the first couple of games after his ban, and Wes disappeared for much of February, class has a tendency to come to the fore if you stick with it, and Chris Martin IS a class player, the clue to which ought to be the fact that the club were so keen to give him a three year contract, but, of course, they probably forgot to consult Methane first.

If Lambert thinks he needs a rest he''ll give him one and I, for one, am happy to trust his judgement, but the fact is that if he stays in and scores a hat trick against Leeds there will be someone on here slagging him off for something next Sunday.

[/quote]Totally agree, but it makes a nice change for Lappin to be left alone.[Y]

[quote user="Methane"]You either love him or hate him but you must all agree he''s the laziest high scoring forward and non-team player we''ve seen for a while. [/quote]I''m guessing you''re not on the side of "love" in this debate.