Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

McVeigh needs to move back to the left side

Having watched McVeigh closely against West Ham and West Brom recently I feel he needs to move back over to the left side where he was far more effective. He is just not the same player on the right and I think the team miss him cutting in from the left and placing those curling shots with his right foot into the top corner of the net.

Agree - he is totally anonymous on the right, which is why i wanted to see a right midfielder brought in on loan. But he could go back to the left also. And I see this as a threat to Drury ''cos Brennan is a far more effective attacking left back without being much inferior as a defender.

McVeigh was far better when he moved to the left last night - I was disappointed when Worthy took him off, as he looked our best attacking option with Hucks marked so tightly. And Brennan was immense last night, the only City player who outdid him was Gary Holt - right back to his best. Does anyone know if Drury is gonna miss any games following his injury?

Yeah totally agree on this one. When Drury went off and McVeigh was switched he looked a lot more effective- Taking Haas on. My only concern is that we don''t have a decent enough right sided midfielder to fill the void. Mluryne did next to nothing, I don''t think Hendo is the answer and the less said about Rivers the better. A dip into the loan market would be great in my opinion.

I agree that McVeigh looks better on the left but the comment about Brennan being equal to Drury as a defender is (in my opinion) not true, plus he hasn''t really played in that position for Norwich anyway. Drury is a 1st class defender and he does get forward a fair bit. I think Brennan looks like a winger as opposed to a leftback, but I suppose it''s nice to have some cover in all positions as well as competition for places.

Brennan has shown what a great cross he has on him, unlike Drury, i like the way McVeigh links up with Huckerby when he''s on the left, and Brennan and Huckerby have already developed a good understanding.

Brennan, McVeigh, Huckerby down the left it has to be - a superb combination that will cause all sorts of problems to the clueless binner defenders.
Then the options for the right side are:
a) Francis and Holt to make up the remainder of a three man midfield with Shackell slotting in to a 5 man defence (West Brom played this formation last night and their midfielders did pretty well in a three man midfield)
b) Henderson being re-introduced on the right. He might find he has more time and space if that left sided combination sees more of the ball.
c) Mulryne to play right - didn''t do a great deal last night but saw a fair amount of the ball and has had some time out of the team. Could still inject some creativity from there.
d) Briggs introduced etiher at right back or right midfield playing with Edworthy. I''d like to see some more of him. Unlikely though...

Why not give Leon a chance wide right? A bit like West Ham with Marlon Harewood....
I think he''d be glad of a game anywhere!! Dont know if he''s ever played out of position for ''Posh''?
Addtionally even if you argued that we then are playing three strikers we have Holt and Francis offering cover.
This would mean PMV could continue on the left. Brennan would be the obvious casualty tho''.

Brennan goes left back - Drury is the casualty. His failure to develop the attacking element of his game beyond running the ball out over the byline is being shown up badly now Brennan is in the side.
Leon out right - nice idea. Bags of energy so may even do a bit of tracking back. Not sure about his tackling ability tho...

I agree that McVeigh looks much better on the left than the right, he is more of an attacking threat and has hardly scored since moving to the right. I think that a partnership between him and Brennan done the left has to be tried, it would be awesome. I have nothing against Drury but he hasn''t really shone much just lately, give him a rest. Hang on though do teams drop their captains. I also think that a combination of Edworthy and Briggs down the right should be tried. Briggs looked a good player when he has played before and he must be to have cost £65,000. These combinations down the flanks would give us a new dimension and take us up in style. Top of the league and having a laugh.

Not sure I''d go with McKenzie down the right - he''s very left footed for a start, meaning he''d never try and beat a defender to the byline to cross. I know McVeigh is right footed, but as we''ve seen before, he''s not bad with his left peg and so can go the byline or cut inside - which makes him so dangerous down the left. Also, McKenzie''s a goalscorer, a poacher. He thrives on being in the box, looking for chances. I think I''d like to see him paired with Hucks - not much height admitedly, but the opportunities Hucks creates would be bread and butter for Macca.

As for who plays down the right, I think the only positive thing we could do is make another move into the loan market. Hendo is out of position there, McVeigh is better down the left and Rivers is rubbish. Briggs might be an idea, but I''m sure we''d have seen him given a go out wide by now if he was a serious possibility.

What is all this cr*p about moving Brennan to left back and resting Drury whilst moving McVeigh to the left again, bringing in Briggs and moving Edworthy to right midfield???
Brilliant tactics - hardly!! Our success this season has been built on having a solid, settled defence. So now we are going to destroy that foundation?? Dear God, I wonder whether some of the postings I on this board are serious.
The only change we need to make right now is to have Svensson start with Iwan on the bench.
The only improvements we need are a wide right midfield player brought in on loan, and possibly a central defender as cover. Job done!!
Oh, yes...and how to incorporate McKenzie - don''t know the answer to that one :-P

What we''re missing is ... KEVIN HARPER. Shows you how shrewd NW was when he brought those 3 in.

Well said FatMan Fat. What''s all this talk of bringing in Briggs? What''s the point of changing the most frugal defense in the league, just so huckerby can have more options up front. We already have the best goal difference in the league. The only changes should be Svensson in for iwan, and giving McKenzie the nod against teams lower down the league. Let his and huckerby''s pace work for each other against defences who are lessed blessed than the malky-flem big meal combo.