Sign in to follow this  
Big Chief

Demise of the Pre match watering hole

Well Evil Monkey, not myself, but obviously people did as thousands fought week in week out. It was part of the game. Not sure how old you are, but from Man Utd v Liverpool to Crewe V Shrewsbury it was kicking off at every game in the country.

Those who took part obviously enjoyed it or wouldnt have done so would they?

Some people play computer games, some play snooker, some fight.

Ever enjoyed a boxing match? A boxing match is a legal bout between 2 rival. Holliganism was a bout between 2 rivals.

Im not justifying it, you probably know about my son, im just saying those that can remember back that far know it was part of the day out.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Hard Cell"]Oh, and the other one people have tried to name was the Jolly Molsters. Remember Spurs taking it apart the year they came up here when they were at the bottom of the old Division One and won 3-1. Crazy day particularly for us in the Kingsway opposite. Btw the Rosary had closed but may have now reopened. Not pubs but what about the old Silver Dollar and the Three C''s (Greasers cafe), and the 24 hr one (blokes name that slips my mind) on Yarmouth Road.[/quote]

The cafe on Yarmouth Road was ''Mac''s Cafe'' run and owned (I think) by erstwhile Norwich legend Levi McCarthy, who I think was also a bouncer at the Orford Cellar.  Was a great place to go after the pubs shut - spent many happy hours in there after gigs at the UEA or St Andrews Hall.  The Three C''s rings a bell as well but where was it?

[/quote]

The Three C''s was on St John Maddermarket.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Hard Cell"]Oh, and the other one people have tried to name was the Jolly Molsters. Remember Spurs taking it apart the year they came up here when they were at the bottom of the old Division One and won 3-1. Crazy day particularly for us in the Kingsway opposite. Btw the Rosary had closed but may have now reopened. Not pubs but what about the old Silver Dollar and the Three C''s (Greasers cafe), and the 24 hr one (blokes name that slips my mind) on Yarmouth Road.[/quote]

The cafe on Yarmouth Road was ''Mac''s Cafe'' run and owned (I think) by erstwhile Norwich legend Levi McCarthy, who I think was also a bouncer at the Orford Cellar.  Was a great place to go after the pubs shut - spent many happy hours in there after gigs at the UEA or St Andrews Hall.  The Three C''s rings a bell as well but where was it?

[/quote]

The Three C''s was on St John Maddermarket.

[/quote]

Thanks Tilly (and Hard Cell) - I remember it now.  Anyone remember Just John''s Coffee Shop downstairs somewhere on White Lion Street?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Ah, hooliganism... it was all such a good laugh, wasn''t it...? [;)]
[/quote]

I imagine that was ''irony'' in action but...no, hooliganism wasn''t a good laugh, in fact it was a pain in the butt for far too long and often spoilt a good day out both home and away.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Ah, hooliganism... it was all such a good laugh, wasn''t it...? [;)][/quote]

I imagine that was ''irony'' in action but...no, hooliganism wasn''t a good laugh, in fact it was a pain in the butt for far too long and often spoilt a good day out both home and away.

[/quote] It was an attempt to inject a bit of reality into the situation.  This thread was becoming a little too nostalgic for my liking "remember that time we smashed that guy''s face in - MEGALOLZ"Arthur, can''t believe you''re trying to put hooliganism on a par with boxing (which, by the way, has to be one of the most banal sports ever) or computer games...

I guess the Ferry Boat was my all time best pre-match Pub. My bro and some mates used to ''squat'' in the old Argyle St, so it was popular for us on non-football days too. Over the years I have not been very adventurous before games, Coach and Horses, Rosary, Clarence, but Ferry hold most memories. I used to like sitting outside and watching the fans head down from the Riverside.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Ever enjoyed a boxing match? A boxing match is a legal bout between 2 rival. Holliganism was a bout between 2 rivals.[/quote]Your analogy is stretched so far that even Cher''s plastic surgeon might be in touch.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Ever enjoyed a boxing match? A boxing match is a legal bout between 2 rival. Holliganism was a bout between 2 rivals.[/quote]Your analogy is stretched so far that even Cher''s plastic surgeon might be in touch.[/quote]Freebie:http://www.jimcarlton.com/bad_analogies.htm

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Big Chief"]

Last home game i popped alone to my favourite pre match pub for a pint only to find the Cricketers Rest had closed.  This was a proper Norwich fans pub and I hope someone reopens it soon.  It got me thinking about other pre match pubs I have used over the last 30 odd years and how many we have lost.  In the late 70''s early 80''s i knocked off work at 12:00 on a saturday and popped along to the Coach & Horses opposite Debenhams Now a Pizz restaurant).  Then for while I drank in the |Cricketers Arms on City road whci was turned into some sort of office, as was the Pheasant Cock, my favourite ever city pub, especially as it looked tiny from the outside.  Anyone remember when Man U thought it would be a good idea to attack the pub, not realising how many it had in it.  I aslo used to drink in the Kingsway and occasionally the Clarence Harbour, even though it was reaklly an away fans haunt.  Finally I moved on to the Ferry Boatwhich was a great boozer until the new neighbours took exception to a bit of music being played.  My favourite day in the Ferry Boat was on a day against some team in blue.  I large group of scummers came down the opposite bank and gave it the big ''un.  Somebody managed to launch a glass to the far side with devastating effect.  Not Big and Not cleaver, but very, very funny.

What other favourite match day watering holes have we lost?

[/quote]

All I would say is please do not drink in the Ketts, Coach & Horses, Kings Arms as I enjoy drinking in those pubs and you do seem like a bit of a Jonah![:)]

[/quote]

The Ketts is alright for a pre-match drink (it''s my local) apart from the lack of Sky! Coach & Horses just too busy as I like to sit down & catch up with my mates pre-game!