Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Club Cabbage.....Tell Us Your Story...

i travel with them on the away game that i went to gillingham, brighton, colchester, now swindon, at gillingham started coach miles but dnt think that i will complete book now maybe next season

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now whatever are you doing on this thread Bly? I guess like threads about the games and player performances, formations, substitutions or even matchday pies you are just a window licker only on the outside looking in[:P] My seat is usually located on Bus 3 when I can go, which at the moment is about 10/12 games a season because I can rarely make Saturday away games.

As for having seats reserved, well I think that''s confused with regulars travelling with the people they normally travel with. Just because they go every game do they lose the right to travel with their mates? I wonder how the fairweather fans would like being told they couldn''t sit with their mates.

I have met loads of good people on cabbage. I''ve never had a problem with the regulars how ever often I have been able to go. It can''t be that bad because lots of younger fans seem to get on with us oldies ok.

kdncfc, I reckon you''re talking about Simon Roy! Anyone who has regularly travelled on cabbage will have come across him at some point. I remember him when I was just a kid waiting outside Carrow Road for autographs and he always had his radio to his ear even then! He is the son of Dr Roy who used to be headmaster at Hewett School many years ago. Simon is one of the real eccentric characters who follow our club. And you''re right, he is difficult to get away from when he talks to you. (Just ask Gazzathegreat!!) But Simon never forgets a name. If you tell him your name just once he will always remember it. My favourite "Simon Story" is when I ran into him at halftime during the Play Off Final. I said something like "Do you think we will win Simon?" But Simon spent the next 5 minutes explaining to me that "Eddie, if the roof hadn''t been closed the sun would have been in someone''s eyes and spoiled the game for them" [H][:S]

I heard Simon had been unwell and I haven''t seen him this season. I hope he''s ok.

You may well be right Nutty, from what I remember he was a well spoken guy who would probably be between 55 and 65 years old now.  I think I may well have seen him in the lower Barclay within the last couple of years but wasn''t 100% sure it was him because he was several rows in front of me, hope he''s ok and will be back cheering on the yellas soon.

[/quote]

3 Stand out for me:

1. Was on the way to Arsenal, a small guy puked up at the back of the bus.. within 15 minutes most of the bus were even gagging or throwing up themselves as the smell just circulated round and round.. it was hell!

2. We had a halfway rest stop but the driver stopped on the wrong side of the facilities so a load of us had to cross a busy motorway to get to the pub/resturant on the other side. I remember waiting to cross the motorway, and spied my chance... ran as fast as i could, looking to the right to make sure that i wasnt going to get caught out by anything big metallic and speedy... Guy opposite me had the same plan... We ran headfirst into each other in the middle lane. All i can remember is a bright flash, feeling panicked, watching cars flying past us... and then running back to where i came from... hungry :(

3. We told a young boy (Who wanted to sit with us older ones at the back) to pretend he was shaking bottles to the cars following us... Much amusement for a 15 year old i can tell you! :) I think the final straw came when we told him to show the woman in the car (Passenger) behind how he squeezes oranges... Her husband was not too pleased and was trying to get the bus to pull over so he could come deal us some hurt.

I had the trip from hell with CC a few years back. For some reason myself and a mate thought it would be a good idea to do Stockport away by Club Cabbage. Coach left Carrow Rd at 08:30. We got lost and went thru Sheffield three times I think. The coach driver and the (possibly) female steward then almost came to blows arguing about the correct route. Unfortunately we were on the same coach as a regular called "Simon" who made a 6 hour journey seem like 60 hours. He proceeded to tell the driver repeatedly that Stockport was "just up the road from Crewe and Stoke" told us that the weather was very changeable in this part of the world and promoted the option of wearing shorts to the game. He proceeded to drop his kecks and change into a really scabby pair of shorts in full view of all and sundry whilst we were negotiating the more rural parts of the A57. He had also brought along a video to play on the coach tv/video. This was of a Serie A game. Just when we were starting to enjoy the tape, halfway thru the second half the tape came to an end. When we asked him what happened to the rest of the recording he said that as he had arrived home he switched the tape off and watched the rest of the game on his tv. This was of course a great help to us on the coach! Due to the hilly nature of this road and the fact that there was a queue of traffic the clutch started to burn out, so we had to have the skylights open to disperse the burning smell, and we eventually staggered to a stop at Stockport at 14:45pm. Memories of conversations between people on the merits of buying "parcels of land", or Burberry socks and a steward telling me off for asking why we had to always use the Famous Farmhouse Cafe as a rest stop. He told me that they served "fine food" and that "the vast majority of Norwich fans love eating there". Eventually got back to Norwich about 11pm, and then a 40 min drive back to Lowestoft.

I have put several thousand miles on my car rather than travelling with CC since that day.....

Wednesday away a few seasons ago. The driver missed the turn to get to Sheffield and consequently ended up driving us round half of Yorkshire for about 2 hours! Cue chants of ''''You don''t know what you''re doing!''''[;)]

I went on the first ever Club Canary trip to Rotherham in August 1981.

We had just been relegated and the Board had introduced Club Canary as a way of boosting our away support and improving away performances. (For example - we won away at West Ham in August 1977 and didn''t win away again until Everton in August 1979.  I remember this 2 year period very well - I went to every away game during that time.)

Anyway, Club Cabbage didn''t start well.  We went 1-0 up at Rotherham but went on to lose 4-1.

At least the season ended well - CC ran 2 trains to Sheffield for the last game to see us get promoted.  Unfortunately, they didn''t take account of the fact that we would be in the ground celebrating and the first train came back virtually empty. 

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

I went on the first ever Club Canary trip to Rotherham in August 1981.

We had just been relegated and the Board had introduced Club Canary as a way of boosting our away support and improving away performances. (For example - we won away at West Ham in August 1977 and didn''t win away again until Everton in August 1979.  I remember this 2 year period very well - I went to every away game during that time.)

Anyway, Club Cabbage didn''t start well.  We went 1-0 up at Rotherham but went on to lose 4-1.

At least the season ended well - CC ran 2 trains to Sheffield for the last game to see us get promoted.  Unfortunately, they didn''t take account of the fact that we would be in the ground celebrating and the first train came back virtually empty. 

[/quote]

I went to that game on the cabbage coaches, Greg Shepherd scored early on if I remember rightly.

arthur - i was banned from cabbage in the late 90''s when i pulled a moonie....those on board ''were not amused'' and that quick i was banned!! shows how much fun most of them are

tbh - it was the best thing that ever happened to me getting banned from the cabbage and the 50p sweepstake!!!

[quote user="the unit"]arthur - i was banned from cabbage in the late 90''s when i pulled a moonie....those on board ''were not amused'' and that quick i was banned!! shows how much fun most of them are tbh - it was the best thing that ever happened to me getting banned from the cabbage and the 50p sweepstake!!![/quote]

Talking about pulling moonies it reminded me of when I was on the way to one away game many years ago on cabbage when  a coachload of Watford fans overtook us on the motorway, as they came past us every single bloke on the back seat had their arses pushed up against the back window with their cheeks pulled apart so you could see right up their crevices...not a pretty sight I can tell ya.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="the unit"]arthur - i was banned from cabbage in the late 90''s when i pulled a moonie....those on board ''were not amused'' and that quick i was banned!! shows how much fun most of them are tbh - it was the best thing that ever happened to me getting banned from the cabbage and the 50p sweepstake!!![/quote]

Talking about pulling moonies it reminded me of when I was on the way to one away game many years ago on cabbage when  a coachload of Watford fans overtook us on the motorway, as they came past us every single bloke on the back seat had their arses pushed up against the back window with their cheeks pulled apart so you could see right up their crevices...not a pretty sight I can tell ya.

[/quote]

Ah, so you''ve met the ''Watford Gaps''......

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

Ah, so you''ve met the ''Watford Gaps''......

[/quote]

Lol

" had their arses pushed up against the back window with their cheeks pulled apart ............ "

First time our lot were mistaken for ipswich fans

[quote user="Quelchy"]whats is club cabbage i havent a clue to what it is .
[/quote]

Reading the thread might help you.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Quelchy"]whats is club cabbage i havent a clue to what it is .[/quote]

[/quote]Maybe Just telling me and not trying to patronise me may enable us to be "friends" and i did and i really dident understand or i wouldent of posted ......

I went on the cabbage on Saturday and our bus developed gear box problems so we had to chance bus at Kings Lynn to one without a toilet! was not amused seeming as it was a 4 hour trip. Also the curtain rail on the coach fell off and landed on my head! Won £49 on sweepstake though so wasn''t too bad.

I think the term "cabbage " comes from a tongue in cheek reference about the people who use it being vegetables and window lickers. I must admit there are a fair few who can reinforce such stereotypes!

That is just so wrong and offensive you w@nker

[quote user="Essex canary"]

I think the term "cabbage " comes from a tongue in cheek reference about the people who use it being vegetables and window lickers. I must admit there are a fair few who can reinforce such stereotypes!

That is just so wrong and offensive you w@nker

[/quote]

I thought Club Cabbage came out of Kevin Baldwin''s book Norfolk ''n Good? I think it referred to the aroma on the coach

Back to the origins of the thread - my most abiding three memories (so far):-

1.  Arguing with the driver on a trip to Wimbledon (when they were playing at Selhurst Park - the one where Chase funded the travel) that he was going the wrong way up the M27 - he only believed me when we got to Gatwick!

2.  The long trip to and from Arnhem, which was a great experience despite having eaten all my food by the time we got to Dover!  Getting the ferry back at about 4.30 in the morning and having a full English followed by a few Jack Daniels!

3.  Stopping off at Newmarket on the way back from games in London and finding all the pubs populated by very short men with attractive taller women!

Nobody between the ages of 15 and 60 should travel on club cabbage

I used it to get to the dreaded Fulham match a few years back. The driver went to Stamford Bridge, then ended up sticking his head out the window to ask for directions. The atmosphere on the way home wasn''t much fun as you can imagine.

[quote user="Bird Table"]I used it to get to the dreaded Fulham match a few years back. The driver went to Stamford Bridge, then ended up sticking his head out the window to ask for directions. The atmosphere on the way home wasn''t much fun as you can imagine.
[/quote]

After the Fulham game I went back to central London on the tube.  It was packed with Norwich fans who were absolutely silent, even when the train got stuck on a viaduct and sat there for about 10 mins.  To break the ice I came out with possibly the most stupid remark I''ve ever uttered (and that''s saying something, believe me) . . .

"At least we didn''t finish bottom"

Aaaarrrgghhh! [:$]

Who''s noticed you can be incredibly racist infront of strangers on Cabbage?For some strange reason it''s frowned upon to have a beer but on a trip to, say for instance, Crystal Palace, it''s completely acceptable to shout abuse at the locals.Bunch of cunts.

[quote user="King Korey"]I went on the cabbage on Saturday and our bus developed gear box problems so we had to chance bus at Kings Lynn to one without a toilet! was not amused seeming as it was a 4 hour trip. Also the curtain rail on the coach fell off and landed on my head! Won £49 on sweepstake though so wasn''t too bad.[/quote]

Blimey, a four hour trip on cabbage to Tranmere only to find out we played the night before and lost AND a the curtain rail fell on your head.

Tough trip. [:P]

Today, 4:50 PM

Canary Wharf Canary is not online. Last active: 08/04/2010 21:26:32 Canary Wharf Canary

Top 500 Posts
Joined on 25/09/2007
Posts 1,117

Re: Club Cabbage.....Tell Us Your Story...

Reply Quote

King Korey wrote:

I went on the cabbage on Saturday and our bus developed gear box problems so we had to chance bus at Kings Lynn to one without a toilet! was not amused seeming as it was a 4 hour trip. Also the curtain rail on the coach fell off and landed on my head! Won £49 on sweepstake though so wasn''t too bad.

Blimey, a four hour trip on cabbage to Tranmere only to find out we played the night before and lost AND a the curtain rail fell on your head.

Tough trip. Stick out tongue [:P]

Canary Wharf - check when Korey posted it; 15/3 which is a couple of days after Huddersfield. (Tranmere was a 5 hr trip anyway.)

[quote user="Quelchy"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Quelchy"]whats is club cabbage i havent a clue to what it is .
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe Just telling me and not trying to patronise me may enable us to be "friends" and i did and i really dident understand or i wouldent of posted ......
[/quote]

I think CityAngel was well within her rights to patronise you there, Quelchy. You mean to say you read through five pages worth of posts of people''s tales of travelling on the coaches for away trips - including a couple where people detail why the Cabbage nickname took over from the official name - and were still none the wiser. I sense you are not a native, but even so...

Myself:

I''ve travelled on Cabbage for many years - as an aside I found it interesting that most of the most vociferous detractors in this thread are those that have been on only a small handful of trips.... and as another aside the alarming number of tales of coaches breaking down; I think I had one on the way to the Millenium Stadium but that''s it - and I think my opinions of it have mellowed with time.

This season is the second time I''ve had an away season ticket (the other being the last Prem season as I''m a groundhunter), so the second time I''ve had to heavily rely on Cabbage to keep the costs down. I''ve done mini-buses, cars and trains with mates before and yes, that can often be a much better laugh for all the obvious reasons already stated. But Cabbage isn''t as bad as some make out - even if I love to call it that (and not Club Cabbage, just Cabbage by the way).

What used to wind us (me and the missus) up, that we''ve witnessed more in the past at least, is what some have touched on already; the ''reserved'' seats. Gladly it hasn''t really been an issue this time, but in the past I''ve been maddened to be moved on/turned down for ''available'' seats as they have a sheet of A4 with ''Reserved'' printed on it sitting on them. ''Reserved'' for who I would ask. Especially when I was an away season ticket holder too - and one who had selected to have Cabbage tickets sent out for every game, so would be on most of the coaches (we''d return one or two for the train etc), so how could someone have a higher priority? If that was the case, ALL away season ticket holders especially those that had selected to have coach tickets for every game should have their own seat preference/reservation. But it doesn''t work like that. It''s the cliquey bunch that know each other by name and have been on Coach 1 (or whatever) since the dawn of bloody time. I like to mix it up and have Gus one week and Judy another - does that mean the regular regulars should have the right to look down their nose at me? And even more so as I dare to not wear colours.

The kids at the back mucking about ALL bloody journey can be very tiresome too, but with so many wins on the road in what should be a trophy winning season, you can''t really blame them for making a day of it and enjoying it whilst it lasts.

So many tales of people''s drivers getting lost too; I''ve had a pretty good/lucky record with that and consider it another bonus of Cabbage that they''ll always get you there with 90 minutes before kick off - perhaps modern day Cabbaging with SatNav has helped there. Had enough time the other Friday to go wandering down the ''high street'' to find a chippy without a massive queue and then sit and eat a chinese whilst we watched a chunk of Cabbage stand and wait to be let in the ground over the road - there was a pub behind us for God''s sake!

Loads of tales I could tell, but I''ll wrap up with just one - the Wolves fans that mingled with our lot as we made our way back to the Cabbages after the play-off semi, all looking for weak targets or City fans wanting to celebrate so that they could pick them off. I remember hearing those walking to the train station had it worse as they were met in the subway...

Each to there own and all that, but to me cabbage is the antithesis of what an away game should be about, which is to get to the destination early and do a quick bit of sightseeing before hitting the finest local pubs and mixing with your fellow supporters (home and away) and getting a "feel" for the place you`re visiting.  Got to have a few after as well to celebrate/drown your sorrows.....If you can stay the night as well (especially when you`ve made the effort to trek all the way to Plymouth, Carlisle etc.) mores the better.

not used club cabbage in years... Millwall away in the promotion season was the last time i think.my first experience was in 1998. my first away game, Reading away, the bus decides to break down.I can remember sitting infront of a load of chavs on the way to stoke who spent the whole of the return journey annoying me and my mate, they were throwing things at us, jabbing us etc... they all thought it was hilarious till we told them that they were heading the right way for a chinning.I can remember a blisteringly hot day, opening day of the season Bradford away, the coach driver drives past the exit to Valley Parade and takes us to Barnsley before we all shout in unison that we are playing bradford, he then backs into some massive drive way turns round and goes all the way back getting us to the game 15 minutes after kick off.Many more stories i can recount, West ham away in the FA cup, the driver stops off to pick a few people up at some little chef car park, as we have 5 minutes they let us all off the bus to stretch our legs (it wasnt a proper stop off) i then tell Gus and the driver im popping to the loo.... when in there my mate phones me to tell me they are about to leave. I sprint for all im worth just as the bus is about to leave the car park. the driver said he was in his rights to leave me there... cue a massive arguement and me calling him an offensive name based on the size of his belly and part of the anatomy. He was adament he told me he was going to drive off when i told him i was going to the loo.. that isnt what he said....the funniest thing i have ever seen at an away game occured at the good old farm shop just off the A47, we werent travelling on club cabbage and im not sure of the game (might have been Coventry away, their last season at Highfield road), My mate was driving and we stopped to get a bottle of coke each and some munchies for the journey. As we got into the bar area on the right these 2 lads, no more than 14 who''s voices were only just broken, standing eagerly cluytching £5 notes... the old codger behind the bar asks them what they want and they ask for 2 Bacardi Breezers... the old coot eyes them suspiciously then hands them the drinks!!!!!!we have had more fun driving to games, nearly being killed on the way to Everton by some idiot in a BMW and stuck in a cow crossing on the way to Man yoo!