Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Promotion Celebration

I agree with WAY49. We will celebrate anyway regardless of what the club decides.

Obviously we have to wait and see if there are formal celebrations. I guess the Civic Reception would be entirely up to the Civic Authorities anyway. And then the club could refuse if invited but surely they''d have to have a better reason than to say "League One is beneath us". How arrogant would that be? How arrogant do our fans look when they stick their noses in the air and say we shouldn''t celebrate because we shouldn''t be here! Does anyone remember West Ham changing in a hotel because they Championship changing rooms weren''t good enough for them? How arrogant did they look? They were despised for it.

So,as Arthur pointed out, we celebrate every victory and go mental in the stands everytime we score a goal. But if we win promotion or are Champions some folk seem to be suggesting that we stay a little longer after the last game for the lap of honour and then go home and wait for next season. Just in case the scummers laugh at us for celebrating!

I am going to have a party[<:o)]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="cityangel"]

Of course we''ll all celebrate and of course there will be a lap of celebration once we''re mathmatically up and at the end of the season, still think a city hall reception or an open tour bus round the city would be over the top though.[/quote]

Why? You said this already but no reason why?

Those guys out there every weekend have done everything that we could have asked of them so far this season. If we go up as champions I would be disgusted if we did not celebrate - if we went up 2nd I still think they deserve something more than the lap of honour which they get every season at the last home game of the season anyway.

[/quote]Of course there''ll be celebrations should we do it but whether all supporters will want to get involved with anything organised is a good question....It may all depend on whether or not you have a long or short memory. To do the '' Full Monty '' on reaching the Premiership is understandable, even in the case of recently relegated teams such as West Brom and Newcastle, given the riches and prestige on offer there. It would also be understandable for a club who had spent many years at a lower level and had finally cracked the '' big time '' , as I''m sure Rochdale will do this year and as Peterborough did last.In City''s case, true, we have no divine right to be playing at a higher level, but surely our presence in the Third Division afer an unbroken run of almost 50 years is only as a result of ludicrous decisions at Boardroom level over the last five years which resulted in our embarrasing slide out of the Championship. To my mind one year of success at this level in no way makes up for the previous years of awfulness. To my mind NCFC still owe us having put us through all this misery even if it turns out it only takes one season to escape the nightmare.If we do go up, sure, I''ll join in the merriment by drinking too much on the lead up to and actual promotion - any excuse will do - but open top buses ? No thanks.Assuming we are promoted this term and Paul Lambert & Co work a similar miracle next year then I''ll definitely be staking a claim to a prime spot at the victory parade. Now that really WOULD be something to celebrate......

It''s nothing to do with arrogance, it''s to do with cost....

I will celebrate promotion, but I don''t for a minute think it will (or should) be on the scale of our Premiership celebrations.

No Jaguar flypast (Coltishall''s closed and the Jaguar has been retired) so maybe a local model aero club can send a plane over City Hall?

A big ''in-house'' celebration if we''re promoted after the final whistle on May the 8th, and if we''re Champions, maybe we''ll get to see the trophy this time and an extended lap of honour....Then fill the local boozers and party, party, party....

Sunday the 9th of May (hangover permitting) should be the Club Open Day with an opportunity to thank Paul and his staff and the players and the board for their efforts....and to meet the fans, including those supporters who unfortunately couldn''t be in the stadium for the final home game.

All the Civic reception stuff can be arranged after those two days, and before the squad disperse to recharge their batteries and chill before the next season....All hypothetical at this moment in time, as we aren''t up....yet.

What did Leicester do, for their promotion party?....

I would have thought any Civic Reception would be by invitation of the Lord Mayor or relevant Committee. So an interesting question would be whether the club should accept any such invitation, and if not, what reason should they give for refusing?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I would have thought any Civic Reception would be by invitation of the Lord Mayor or relevant Committee. So an interesting question would be whether the club should accept any such invitation, and if not, what reason should they give for refusing?

[/quote]

I don''t think our majority shareholding duo would refuse a civic reception....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="chicken"][quote user="cityangel"]

Of course we''ll all celebrate and of course there will be a lap of celebration once we''re mathmatically up and at the end of the season, still think a city hall reception or an open tour bus round the city would be over the top though.[/quote]

Those guys out there every weekend have done everything that we could have asked of them so far this season. If we go up as champions I would be disgusted if we did not celebrate - if we went up 2nd I still think they deserve something more than the lap of honour which they get every season at the last home game of the season anyway.

[/quote]Of course there''ll be celebrations should we do it but whether all supporters will want to get involved with anything organised is a good question....It may all depend on whether or not you have a long or short memory. To do the '' Full Monty '' on reaching the Premiership is understandable, even in the case of recently relegated teams such as West Brom and Newcastle, given the riches and prestige on offer there. It would also be understandable for a club who had spent many years at a lower level and had finally cracked the '' big time '' , as I''m sure Rochdale will do this year and as Peterborough did last.In City''s case, true, we have no divine right to be playing at a higher level, but surely our presence in the Third Division afer an unbroken run of almost 50 years is only as a result of ludicrous decisions at Boardroom level over the last five years which resulted in our embarrasing slide out of the Championship. To my mind one year of success at this level in no way makes up for the previous years of awfulness. To my mind NCFC still owe us having put us through all this misery even if it turns out it only takes one season to escape the nightmare.If we do go up, sure, I''ll join in the merriment by drinking too much on the lead up to and actual promotion - any excuse will do - but open top buses ? No thanks.Assuming we are promoted this term and Paul Lambert & Co work a similar miracle next year then I''ll definitely be staking a claim to a prime spot at the victory parade. Now that really WOULD be something to celebrate......[/quote]Thats a pretty poor argument and one I am fed up with hearing. I have lived through arguably our best spell when we played in Europe and finished high up in the league, through the dessolation days where we were happy to still be in this league come the end of the season, through the play off final year where in truth we had no right to have made it that far, through to promotion to the premiership and then relegation and then the years of depression to now.But all of that has nothing to do with McNally, Lambert and his management team and most of the players in the squad. Not celebrating because what happened before is so unbelievebly unjust its almost sick.I would love all of the fans that are saying that an extra round of clapping is all that is needed go and tell the lads on the pitch why thats all they are getting!Ahh Mr. Holt - I''m really sorry but I am going to clap you for another five minutes rather than respect one of your most memorable seasons ever because some bean pole of a fancy man called Sibierski got us relegated last season and if we hadn''t we probably wouldn''t have signed you, so really we shouldn''t be clapping you, especially as we can''t make up our mind if your going to cut it anyway.Just what the hell is wrong with this message board? Last season was last bloody season, those lads out there have done more than what has been expected of them and they deserve more recognition than five more minutes of bloody clapping. I simply can''t believe people are saying that.If any of you joined a new company and surpassed the targets set for you you would expect to be recognised for it, not just a five minute well done and a cup of coffee. It actually really really disgusts and riles me.Sorry lads no celebrations this year because of the twonks that messed everything up since 2005 we are not getting anything special for returning the club to the championship at the first time of asking. 2005 - wake up, its 2010!!! If you want to be stuck with grudges fine, lay them as Smudger suggests, at the feet of the people that called the shots - don''t use this seasons success as some sort of point against them because this is all about McNalley and team Lambert. Arthur is right. I shall cut the roof of my own car and drive four of the players around Norwich myself if I have to!

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know whether they would or not. And I doubt it will be offered anyway. But if it was offered should the club refuse on the grounds that League One is beneath us. Where did we suddenly become that arrogant?

If we do it the team deserve every accolade and civic ceremony. Personally I think it is just as important as the celebrations for getting to the premiership, as success breeds success, and to get out of this division at the first time of asking is a real achievement (ask Leeds, Man City, Villa, Palace and West Brom to name a few). If you do not want to partake then sling your hook, and sit on a bar stool in the Murderers (watching Man ure or Arse nal)

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="chicken"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]Of course there''ll be celebrations should we do it but whether all supporters will want to get involved with anything organised is a good question....It may all depend on whether or not you have a long or short memory. To do the '' Full Monty '' on reaching the Premiership is understandable, even in the case of recently relegated teams such as West Brom and Newcastle, given the riches and prestige on offer there. It would also be understandable for a club who had spent many years at a lower level and had finally cracked the '' big time '' , as I''m sure Rochdale will do this year and as Peterborough did last.In City''s case, true, we have no divine right to be playing at a higher level, but surely our presence in the Third Division afer an unbroken run of almost 50 years is only as a result of ludicrous decisions at Boardroom level over the last five years which resulted in our embarrasing slide out of the Championship. To my mind one year of success at this level in no way makes up for the previous years of awfulness. To my mind NCFC still owe us having put us through all this misery even if it turns out it only takes one season to escape the nightmare.If we do go up, sure, I''ll join in the merriment by drinking too much on the lead up to and actual promotion - any excuse will do - but open top buses ? No thanks.Assuming we are promoted this term and Paul Lambert & Co work a similar miracle next year then I''ll definitely be staking a claim to a prime spot at the victory parade. Now that really WOULD be something to celebrate......[/quote]Thats a pretty poor argument and one I am fed up with hearing. I have lived through arguably our best spell when we played in Europe and finished high up in the league, through the dessolation days where we were happy to still be in this league come the end of the season, through the play off final year where in truth we had no right to have made it that far, through to promotion to the premiership and then relegation and then the years of depression to now.But all of that has nothing to do with McNally, Lambert and his management team and most of the players in the squad. Not celebrating because what happened before is so unbelievebly unjust its almost sick.I would love all of the fans that are saying that an extra round of clapping is all that is needed go and tell the lads on the pitch why thats all they are getting!Ahh Mr. Holt - I''m really sorry but I am going to clap you for another five minutes rather than respect one of your most memorable seasons ever because some bean pole of a fancy man called Sibierski got us relegated last season and if we hadn''t we probably wouldn''t have signed you, so really we shouldn''t be clapping you, especially as we can''t make up our mind if your going to cut it anyway.Just what the hell is wrong with this message board? Last season was last bloody season, those lads out there have done more than what has been expected of them and they deserve more recognition than five more minutes of bloody clapping. I simply can''t believe people are saying that.If any of you joined a new company and surpassed the targets set for you you would expect to be recognised for it, not just a five minute well done and a cup of coffee. It actually really really disgusts and riles me.Sorry lads no celebrations this year because of the twonks that messed everything up since 2005 we are not getting anything special for returning the club to the championship at the first time of asking. 2005 - wake up, its 2010!!! If you want to be stuck with grudges fine, lay them as Smudger suggests, at the feet of the people that called the shots - don''t use this seasons success as some sort of point against them because this is all about McNalley and team Lambert. Arthur is right. I shall cut the roof of my own car and drive four of the players around Norwich myself if I have to![/quote]Enjoyed reading your passionate reply, chicken.The beauty of a message board is, that, when all said and done it''s only opinions and whatever happens in the real world will happen irrespective of what''s written here. For every '' glass half full '' argument there''ll be a '' glass half empty '' counter-argument but hopefully each will respect the other''s point of view.There will of course be celebrations should we get what we all want by the season''s end and I too will be the first to join in with them. What concerns me is some on here are advocating a massive US-style '' ticker tape '' parade culminating in a huge '' love-in '' from the balcony of City Hall with the adoring masses swaying deliriously below. Wouldn''t that be just a little bit OTT? Celebrations will break out everywhere should we return to the Championship, and rightly so, but these big choreographed affairs seem faintly embarrasing at the level we unexpectedly find ourselves this season.Memory fails me as to what happened in our two promotion seasons prior to 2004, in 1982 and 1986, when we made instant returns to the top flight. I think open-top buses were involved, but, although it wasn''t the blank cheque the Premiership is today - the First Division as it was then - it was still the pinnacle of club achievement and celebrations could be said to warrant something pretty special. Besides back then the long suffering supporters hadn''t endured the years we''ve '' enjoyed '' recently.Our three other massive achievements I can recall, promotion to the top flight in 1972, League Cup win in 1985 and of course promotion in 2004 were celebrated in style and deservedly so. Footballers live for the moment, as do many supporters, and if they want to celebrate our return to the Championship in style then that''s their choice. Personally I feel this season has been like a weird dream from which I''m hoping to be wakened shortly safe in the knowledge that normal service has been resumed.......

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know whether they would or not. And I doubt it will be offered anyway. But if it was offered should the club refuse on the grounds that League One is beneath us. Where did we suddenly become that arrogant?

[/quote]

Who said anything about arrogance? I haven''t a scooby doo what you''re going on about? Are you hoping for an invite or something?

Look people will celebrate, not to the extent of the Chapionship winning season but they will celebrate.

Look at League 2 and even The Conference.

Teams who went further down rather than back up at the 1st attempt....

Luton

Cambridge

Oxford

York

Wrexham

Notts County

Bournemouth

Rotherham

Port Vale

Crewe

Bradford

Grimsby.........

Now some could argue that we are "bigger" than them, but over the last 20 odd years they have all been in either the top flight or division 2 whatever you want to call it.

We could easily have gone that way.

We have no divine right to be promoted.

Aston Villa were a 3rd Division club in the 70s and look at them now...it could easily have gone the other way.

I will celebrate through relief more than anything, but I will celebrate all the same.

I think we''ll get this wrapped up well before our last home game so the Club will have no excuse not to provide some additional on pitch celebrations, maybe a live group, and a trophy presentation with POTS and other supporter group awards enhanced.

It would be a party with a game of football tagged on.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who said anything about arrogance? I haven''t a scooby doo what you''re going on about? Are you hoping for an invite or something?

[/quote]

I aint got a clue what you''re going on about either so this is turning into a cracking conversation[:-*]

I never heard of anyone getting an invite for a promotion celebration, is that what you do in Newcasssell[:^)]

What a lot of you seem to be forgetting is that due to the stupid new rules the Football League and FA or whoever else it was put in place, we were unable to celbrate winning the Championship as they would not give us the trophy away at Sunderland and made us wait until a couple of weeks later to receive it at City Hall.Ridiculous - if the players are able to celbrate with a cardboard cut out Championship Trophy at the Stadium of Light, then they should of just presented the proper trophy to us there that night as well.  The Sunderland fans and the good people of Newcastle even celbrated with us that night anyhow and were genuinely pleased for Norwich City.  To make us wait a couple of weeks until all the passion had died down kind of took the edge off it for me.What will be different this year will be that we are home last game of the season anyhow and are more than likely to have the title in the bag by then.No need for lame Civic type receptions in my view.Home or Away, they should have the trophy there and present it when we win it.  It should then be paraded at our next home game if we have won it away from home and we should only have a Civic reception at City Hall if we have been prevented from celebrating in another way or we have truly done something very special.

Smudger, I''m still struggling with how it''s anyway our decision, or the clubs decision, to have a Civic Reception. How does that work? If we win a trophy do the club just turn up with it at City Hall on the second Monday of May at tea-time and go up to the balcony in the hopes that there are a few thousand happy clappin'' Delia lovin'' sheep outside to wave their knickers back[:^)]

Or do the club have to wait to be invited by the Civic Authorities[:^)]

I suppose you don''t have a scooby do what I''m on about either.[*-)] But just in case you do maybe you could tell me if you believe the club should refuse any invitation that may come their way from City Hall and if so what reason do you think they should give[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I aint got a clue what you''re going on about either so this is turning into a cracking conversation[:-*]

I never heard of anyone getting an invite for a promotion celebration, is that what you do in Newcasssell[:^)]

[/quote]

Yes

Smudger, I''m still struggling with how it''s anyway our decision, or the clubs decision, to have a Civic Reception. How does that work? If we win a trophy do the club just turn up with it at City Hall on the second Monday of May at tea-time and go up to the balcony in the hopes that there are a few thousand happy clappin'' Delia lovin'' sheep outside to wave their knickers back[:^)]

I suppose you don''t have a scooby do what I''m on about either.[*-)] But just in case you do maybe you could tell me if you believe the club should refuse any invitation that may come their way from City Hall and if so what reason do you think they should give[:^)]

[/quote]

..."Parp, parp, guff, puff, trump & pump".....

Well IF we do win the league then our last home match should be when the trophy is presented and paraded, and IMHO the NCFC faithful will celebrate without being told to do so.

Even if we were to win this league with 100 points and 100 goals it''s no more than we should expect. Nobody should celebrate anything in Division Three.

[/quote]Yes they should refuse in my opinion Nutty, if we have already had chance to celbrate promotion and winning the title in front of our fans in the stadia then why bother with a Civic reception?They should simply say that they have already celbratedd winning the title in front of their fans at such and such a game and that they are now looking forwards to preparing for the challenge of Championship football that is to follow.I am sure that the City fans who went to Sunderland the night we won the Championship title (especially the ones who stayed up North the night) would agree, that the Civic event in the City Centre approx 2 weeks later was very flat in comparison.

Leicester didn''t have an open top bus when we won the league, and i''m glad we didn''t as it is over the top IMO, but we still had great celebrations at home against Leeds when we won it in the 92nd minute and pretty much gained promotion, when we made it 100% at southend, we had a party on the beach, and we had a great night at the final home game against Scunthorpe and the final game of the season at Crewe.

Posh who finished 2nd, celebrated with an open top bus and i thought it was a tad pathetic, although they had achieved back to back promotions, so it is more justifiable than if Leicester/ Norwich celebrated with one.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yes they should refuse in my opinion Nutty, if we have already had chance to celbrate promotion and winning the title in front of our fans in the stadia then why bother with a Civic reception?

They should simply say that they have already celbratedd winning the title in front of their fans at such and such a game and that they are now looking forwards to preparing for the challenge of Championship football that is to follow.

I am sure that the City fans who went to Sunderland the night we won the Championship title (especially the ones who stayed up North the night) would agree, that the Civic event in the City Centre approx 2 weeks later was very flat in comparison.
[/quote]

If your saying that in your opinion we should also have turned down the Civic Reception in 2004 because we''d already celebrated enough in the games at Sunderland and Crewe then I can see your point. I was at both and Crewe especially was better than the celebrations in the City after the season ended.

[quote user="WACCOLO"]Leicester didn''t have an open top bus when we won the league, and i''m glad we didn''t as it is over the top IMO, but we still had great celebrations at home against Leeds when we won it in the 92nd minute and pretty much gained promotion, when we made it 100% at southend, we had a party on the beach, and we had a great night at the final home game against Scunthorpe and the final game of the season at Crewe. Posh who finished 2nd, celebrated with an open top bus and i thought it was a tad pathetic, although they had achieved back to back promotions, so it is more justifiable than if Leicester/ Norwich celebrated with one.[/quote]

Why do you think it would have been a bit OTT WACCOLO?

That''s all I''ve been asking on here but nobody seems to want to give a reason.

[quote user="WACCOLO"]Leicester didn''t have an open top bus when we won the league, and i''m glad we didn''t as it is over the top IMO, but we still had great celebrations at home against Leeds when we won it in the 92nd minute and pretty much gained promotion, when we made it 100% at southend, we had a party on the beach, and we had a great night at the final home game against Scunthorpe and the final game of the season at Crewe.

Posh who finished 2nd, celebrated with an open top bus and i thought it was a tad pathetic, although they had achieved back to back promotions, so it is more justifiable than if Leicester/ Norwich celebrated with one.[/quote]Well said mate... [Y]I agree with all of that... Leicester had promotion and the title sewn up way before the end of the season and had plenty of time to celebrate.  You were also playing at the lowest level LCFC have ever played their football at (for just one season), while we are playing at the lowest level we have been at for 50 years.Bring back the days of presenting a trophy after the game whether you win it home or away I say... and only have Civic type receptions and open top bus parades etc if you have won something really notable for a club of your standing.I can understand why Peterborough would of celebrated in that way, but for a club link NCFC or LCFC to be doing such things would be slightly embarassing I feel.  I certainly will not be bothering myself with attending such a show if they do decide to put one on this year.  The Championship one was slightly different as we had come to the end of a nine year exile from the top flight, the Championship trophy is a trophy that has been handled by many greats such as Kenny Dalglish & Co over the years (as obviously it was awarded to the Champions of England prior to the FA Premiership coming on the scene) and we had not had chance to see it promoted due to the stupid rule of not awarding it at an opposing teams stadium these days (as if either Sunderland or Crewe would of minded).

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Yes they should refuse in my opinion Nutty, if we have already had chance to celbrate promotion and winning the title in front of our fans in the stadia then why bother with a Civic reception?They should simply say that they have already celbratedd winning the title in front of their fans at such and such a game and that they are now looking forwards to preparing for the challenge of Championship football that is to follow.I am sure that the City fans who went to Sunderland the night we won the Championship title (especially the ones who stayed up North the night) would agree, that the Civic event in the City Centre approx 2 weeks later was very flat in comparison.[/quote]

If your saying that in your opinion we should also have turned down the Civic Reception in 2004 because we''d already celebrated enough in the games at Sunderland and Crewe then I can see your point. I was at both and Crewe especially was better than the celebrations in the City after the season ended.

[/quote]Well if they had of awarded the trophy at either Sunderland or Crewe and then had the chance to show it around Carrow Road prior to the season ending then yes Nutty I probably would of said that the Civic do in 2004 was a little OTT also (see just above and my response to the Leicester fan).

Can''t we just run on the pitch and have a party last game of the season at home if everything is in the bag by then?After having a party at Leyton Orient, Charlton or wherever else we might make it a mathematical certainty of course!All this celebrate how we say, big brother camera is watching you and stupid laws that are passed down to us without any common sense shown in bending the rules a little once in a while really get on my tits.  A decent celebration is supposed to be a little spontaneous surely?I read something the other day where a 24yr old lad said that he wished he had lived through the 80''s because people were more alive then than they are today.  Sad to hear but very true as these days you need to ask for permission before you do nearly anything so it seems.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="WACCOLO"]Leicester didn''t have an open top bus when we won the league[/quote]

Well said mate... [Y]

I agree with all of that... Leicester had promotion and the title sewn up way before the end of the season and had plenty of time to celebrate.[/quote]Got it now! you don''t want one because Leicester didn''t have one. That explains it![^o)]

Anyway, what about all them Canary Callers? Aint they got a right to see their team?[+o(]

Is this the real Smudger though?

Or is it the one on the other thread stating " To me Leeds are as insignificant as all the other teams are in this pub league. The best team will win it, the 2nd best team finish 2nd and the rest really, really, really are not very good!"

Which one do I believe[:^)]