Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

How dare anyone "slate" anyone

Has anyone seen the film Crash? It depicts how tensions and stand offs between racial groups are self enforcing because one group always suspects the other has it in for them, and vice versa, even when they haven''t.

The way people react on here reminds me of that film. Someone suggests that x player may need a rest or a spell on the bench. It''s just an opinion.

But then someone else jumps out in horror, "how can you ''slate'' player x, he has been great" etc etc

In this example, which is obviously Chris Martin, no-one is or has been "slating" him. People are entitled to suggest that he may have gone off the boil and to give someone else a go.

It has been the same with Wes. People can make suggestions about where to play him or where they think he''s most/least effective. But not, it seems, without someone jumping up to say, "how dare you slag off Wes, he''s the best player in this division, Kenny Jackett said so."

Some people need to spot the difference between a) ''slating'' a player and b) having a perfectly reasonable opinion about a player. As an example, this might mean:

a) Chris Martin is rubbish, i never want to see him in a Norwich shirt again.

b) Chris Martin is looking tired, Oli deserves a start.

Oh and before anyone starts, this is not necessarily my opinion!

sorry Trisha Or Jeremy Kyle its a forum and its ment for debateing thats all im going to say and people will always have opinions and everyone is never happy what ever happens its life deal with it .

Reasonless slating isn''t needed though mate.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

[/quote]As I said on the thread if you read it, I wasn''t really meaning any of the threads on this forum. At matches he seems to get unfair abuse from people around him, and I was just telling people (If anyone them are on here) exactly what he has done for us. I was not responding to the ''He needs a rest'' opinions..

[quote user="PUPs are Citys future Norwich"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

[/quote]As I said on the thread if you read it, I wasn''t really meaning any of the threads on this forum. At matches he seems to get unfair abuse from people around ME, and I was just telling people (If anyone them are on here) exactly what he has done for us. I was not responding to the ''He needs a rest'' opinions..[/quote]

Martin has been fantastic this season. He has scored a shedload of goals and his all round game has been great too. BUT he is only 21 and has played a hell of a lot of football this season. Oli is looking fresher and raring to go. I genuinely don''t see it as dropping Martin simply giving him a rest for the massive games we have got coming up when we need him firing. Is that not the point of having these extra strikers in the squad after all?

This point can also be applied to Korey Smith. Fantastic player and walks into our team now on merit but the lad is only 19 and cant expect him to play every single game. Lambert has tried to protect him but I think others such as Hughes let us down with a poor performance on Tuesday night in that respect. Meaning he had to come on.

agreed not every player is going to get 8 out of 10 every game ,what people dont realise is we have a very strong squad and if a couple of players have a bad game the others tend to have a good game . thats how it is .

to slate martin ,hoolihan is a bit of a joke to be fair considering the season they are having and how many goals both have scored and played a part in .

people should be getting behind the team and showing encouragement , as i said before considering the team we had last season maybe people should look at the bigger picture .

the season is over many games not one or two .

well said , ...good post .

[quote user="Quelchy"]sorry Trisha Or Jeremy Kyle its a forum and its ment for debateing thats all im going to say and people will always have opinions and everyone is never happy what ever happens its life deal with it .
[/quote]

Clearly too subtle for you quelchy - i was actually saying the same thing that you are, albeit in a slightly more interesting way. Well, in my head at least!

My point was simply that people expressing reasonable opinions on here get rounded on for slating players, which they aren''t doing at all. Those people accusing others of slating need to accept what you said - people have opinions, deal with it.

Excellent point A1canary, I tried to make a similar point last week about the people who keep making new threads on how this forum has gone so negative when it hasn''t at all.

Whilst I agree with your point A1, I do think that we are in danger of living in a negative world without seeing the positive. Why are we panicking so much about a few dodgy performances, and players having a dip in form?? It''s highly unlikely to last forever! If you read this board and you didn''t know the results you''d think we were outside the playoffs, on a bad run, not creating chances or scoring goals and had the wrong formation.I completely agree that suggestions for resting players, or mixing things up a bit, is not necessarily a negative thing, but we have to remember - nobody here thought we would make automatic promotion this season, and at the moment our prospects look very bright indeed. We have the leagues top scorer, and top assist maker, we have manager of the month twice, we have 25,000 gates and we''re doing really, really well. It''s never going to be a coast every week. All the other teams are dipping in form and actually losing points. At the moment, I''d rather be in our shoes than theirs!!

What people have to realise Mook is that people are always going to come on here and say what they think of this player and this formation. It doesn''t follow that because we''re doing well no-ones going to be critical. Otherwise Chelsea or Man united forums would be completely empty!

So long as people''s critique isn''t baseless, meaningless drivel, then that''s fine and should be what a forum is all about.

It''s ridiculous for people to object to people suggesting that a player might be tired, or needs a rest or plays better in this position or that. That doesn''t mean those people think x player is no good, or don''t appreciate what Lambert and the boys have done, or even that they''re being negative or ''moaning.''

It''s certainly true that all the other teams have had similar sticky spells, which all adds to the mystery and thus the debate about what it is exactly that knocks teams out of their stride. It''s all ''mental'' if you ask. In both senses!