Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Belated thoughts from saturday

1. Massive win given the other resultsd. Really cannot see us not finishing in the top two now. We are simply too good at grinding out wins when we don''t play well whilst others seem to slip up.

2. On that note it was another relatively unconvincing performance. We were slightly the better side and had we been more clinical on the break in the second half could have had 3 or 4 but we never looked totally convincing and again gave oldham 3 or 4 decent chances that a better team would have taken.

3. The midfield was particularly crap yesterday. I cannot belive the comments in a post i read further down about Lappin having had a good game as I thought he was hopeless. He is so slow and spent most of the game being given the run around by the Oldham midfield. My delight at our position at the top of the league continues to be tempered by the fact that i think that Lappin, Rose (awful defensively again) and Nelson (done for pace big time when they got through one on one near the end) are simply not goo enough and consequently if we have to paly Hudds away and Leeds with them in the team i still think we are quite likely to lose.

4. Thank god for Fraser Forster. As he does virtually every game another top draw save to secure us the points.

5. that goal did Grant Holt the world of good. Having looked off the pace since he came back in the second half yesterday he was back to his rampaging best which will be a big boost for us. Could now do with Chrissy Martin getting a similar confidence boost.

6. If we beat yeovil 9 points without Russell will represent a huge set of results as I really feel without him we look very weak in the midfield.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

1. Massive win given the other resultsd. Really cannot see us not finishing in the top two now. We are simply too good at grinding out wins when we don''t play well whilst others seem to slip up.

2. On that note it was another relatively unconvincing performance. We were slightly the better side and had we been more clinical on the break in the second half could have had 3 or 4 but we never looked totally convincing and again gave oldham 3 or 4 decent chances that a better team would have taken.

3. The midfield was particularly crap yesterday. I cannot belive the comments in a post i read further down about Lappin having had a good game as I thought he was hopeless. He is so slow and spent most of the game being given the run around by the Oldham midfield. My delight at our position at the top of the league continues to be tempered by the fact that i think that Lappin, Rose (awful defensively again) and Nelson (done for pace big time when they got through one on one near the end) are simply not goo enough and consequently if we have to paly Hudds away and Leeds with them in the team i still think we are quite likely to lose.

4. Thank god for Fraser Forster. As he does virtually every game another top draw save to secure us the points.

5. that goal did Grant Holt the world of good. Having looked off the pace since he came back in the second half yesterday he was back to his rampaging best which will be a big boost for us. Could now do with Chrissy Martin getting a similar confidence boost.

6. If we beat yeovil 9 points without Russell will represent a huge set of results as I really feel without him we look very weak in the midfield.

[/quote]We are grinding the wins, stop being so negative and enjoy the fact that we are top of the league!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Great point.Although i dont think Lappin was awful, he got better the longer the game went on, we have missed the presence of Rusty.Hopefully he will be fresh for the 3 big games coming up in March!

I agree - we were very exposed down the left side and whilst Rose did better than he did against Southampton it was very clear how much we miss Drury.

Not all bad though - McNamee looked f$8king good to me!

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]
We are grinding the wins, stop being so negative and enjoy the fact that we are top of the league!
[/quote]

I am enjoying it but I have to say for me the fact we haven''t played well for the best part of 2 months and lose every time we play a half decent side is undoubtedly taking a bit of the shine off it and is making me a bit more concerned about how we may fare next season if we do go up. I know we will cross that bridge when we come to it and I do think we will go up. I think we may well even win the league but I would really like us to play well and show our real calibre when we play the likes of Huddersfield, Leeds and Swindon in the next few weeks. I don''t think we will beat those teams if Nelson, Rose and (maybe) lappin are in the starting line up.

Agree that we could lose at Hudds and Swindon but if we do it won''t be because of Nelson and Lappin. Nelson has been singled out for special praise by the pinkun commentators in nearly every game i''ve followed, including v Oldham.

If we lose it''ll just be because the team in general haven''t performed and because we''re not scoring as freely as we have been. Attack is the best form of defence, for this team especially, but our regular attack hasn''t been functioning great and has had to be supplemented by Oli and Cody.

If we can get a good result v Yeovil at home that might help bring our form back.

To be honest like Lambert I get slightly bewildered by fans moaning when we''re 5 points clear at the top of the League!

We''re far from perfect but we are winning games when we aren''t at our best a trait that more often than not will see a decent final position in the table!

People who think we''re going to go to small clubs like Oldham and win games easily on a regular basis are living in a dream world!

Look at the ColWHO away game where apart from the goals they had more of the play in the 1st half than what we did!

In this Division we have contend with lower league players and teams raising themselves to play against Norwich and now we''re top thats another reason for the oppostion to raise themselves against us!

Leicester absolutely p*ssed this Division last season yet they had a lot of narrow one goal victories. Also look back at our last title winning campaign in 2003/04, cause we had quite a few lucky wins that time around!

For the record I think Saturdays performance was the best Norwich have played since the Brentford home game and if they''d of been better in front of goal we''d of had the game sown up long before the final whistle!