Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Where is Askou

As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.I do think fans have right to know why he isnt at least on bench now, especially as the left hand side of defence is definitely our weakness at present without Drury

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

[quote user="morty"]I saw him in the dairy section at Asda earlier, he was walking with a pronounced limp.[/quote]

Did the limp have a name or was it a recent aquaintance?

[/quote]He was walking with a bad limp in his arm.

[quote user="CJ"]As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.
I do think fans have right to know why he isnt at least on bench now, especially as the left hand side of defence is definitely our weakness at present without Drury
[/quote]

Good question CJ.

Bump.

Anybody know?

OTBC

[quote user="CJ"]As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.
I do think fans have right to know why he isnt at least on bench now, especially as the left hand side of defence is definitely our weakness at present without Drury
[/quote]

Good question CJ.

Bump.

Anybody know?

OTBC

If he is still injured why have the press not asked the manager about it? As I said he was playing OK in reserves only a week or so ago with Spillane who came off bench on Saturday while no sign of Askou

[quote user="CJ"]If he is still injured why have the press not asked the manager about it? As I said he was playing OK in reserves only a week or so ago with Spillane who came off bench on Saturday while no sign of Askou[/quote]Maybe he''s just not ready yet, and there is nothing sinister behind it at all. Maybe he got a reaction after the reserve game,I''m not really sure on the logistics of how metatarsals heal etc.

He''s played 1 x 45 mins and 90 minutes in two reserves games recently - i believe they were hoping he would play in the Luton reserve fixture that got postponed but as it never went ahead, they didn''t risk him for the bench on Sat.

[quote user="CJ"]As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.I do think fans have right to know why he isnt at least on bench now, especially as the left hand side of defence is definitely our weakness at present without Drury[/quote]Simply not true.  He is better than Nelson, but I really don''t rate him at all.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="CJ"]As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.
[/quote]

Simply not true.  He is better than Nelson, but I really don''t rate him at all.
[/quote]

So, because you don''t think he''s one of the best that means it''s not true? Thanks, from now on though, so as not to waste any of our time can you please make sure you are the first to reply to all threads to prevent any unnecessary discussion.

It''s very hard to judge the standard of defenders due to the fact they''re dependent on good players around them and a midfield that protects them. Drury, for example, is a better player than he''s looked this season because the diamond has left him very exposed, yet in how many games did we actually look exposed?

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="CJ"]As we enter March I really worry where Askou has gone. Many who have seen him know he is one of the best backs in the League . He played in the Reserves with Spillane seemd fine and doesnt even merit place on bench against Oldham.I do think fans have right to know why he isnt at least on bench now, especially as the left hand side of defence is definitely our weakness at present without Drury[/quote]Simply not true.  He is better than Nelson, but I really don''t rate him at all.[/quote]

So, because you don''t think he''s one of the best that means it''s not true? Thanks, from now on though, so as not to waste any of our time can you please make sure you are the first to reply to all threads to prevent any unnecessary discussion.

It''s very hard to judge the standard of defenders due to the fact they''re dependent on good players around them and a midfield that protects them. Drury, for example, is a better player than he''s looked this season because the diamond has left him very exposed, yet in how many games did we actually look exposed?

[/quote]Oh sorry, it was obviously such a pointless post that a reply was warranted by you though.  Don''t give me that sort of rubbish, just because for once I felt that I didn''t need to expand upon my opinion doesn''t mean it gives you the right to act so petty.  In fact I don''t think I need to expand on it at all because it is plain to see that Askou is not up to scratch, it we had signed him in the Championship people would seriously be questioning the decision, and to all intents and purposes that is where we will be next season.I also complete disagree with your opinion of Drury, he was solid and dependable before he got injured, in fact one of the unsung heroes.  It is no surprise that since his injury we have not been playing as well.  Rose is not fit to tie Drury''s boots.

Huh? [^o)] Why makes you say Askou is not up to scratch? And why would people question the decision if we were in the Championship?

You don''t know you''re just guessing, he''s looked very solid when he''s played.

[quote user="NCFCWebbo"]

Huh? [^o)] Why makes you say Askou is not up to scratch? And why would people question the decision if we were in the Championship?

You don''t know you''re just guessing, he''s looked very solid when he''s played.

[/quote]What the hell?  I''m just guessing now am I??!!He has a fairly good tackle on him, but he gets turned far far too easily, he lacks pace, and his distribution is terrible.  He is a slightly better version of Nelson, and for anyone to claim otherwise it quite honestly unbelievable in my opinion.  For all the reasons above people would question the decision in the Championship, I can guarantee you now that Askou will be found out if/when we get promoted.  It was not long ago that the Doc was being slated week in week out, now I admit I have been very impressed with him this season and his commitment can not be questioned, but he has probably found his level if we are all honest.If Askou turns out to be a good Championship player I will quite happily wear an Ipswich shirt to work.

More to the point, where is Whitbread?! He has made the squad for the past 4 games. We''ve seen very little of him indeed and personally I think he should definately pushing to get in the team.

[quote user="book end"]

He is not a million miles away according to Lambert. Such a teaser.

[/quote]

Of course he''s not haven''t you read the previous posts "he''s been spotted in Asda with a Pimp?" and asda only in Hellsedon

Where are youuuuuu, come onnnnnnnnnnnn, lets be haaaaaavin'' yaaaaaaa

[quote user="Murray Hewitt"]More to the point, where is Whitbread?! He has made the squad for the past 4 games. We''ve seen very little of him indeed and personally I think he should definately pushing to get in the team.[/quote]

Whitbread and McDonald both have injuries hence their non appearance on the bench. My only concern about Whitbread was his injury record. If that settles down we have a fantastic centre back on our hands. Askou is an odd one though. He got 45 mins against Town and presumably more game time at Luton so he should be back in the squad soon. We need him as I don''t fancy Nelson against the likes of Rhodes and Novak, Paynter and Austin, Becchio and Beckford.

Ncfcstar - my original reply to your message was comprised of two points, both of which you missed completely so well done.

To make them more straightforward for you:

1) you stated as if it were a fact that askou is not one of the best defenders in the league, actually, it''s just your opinion and it''s no more important than anyone elses, nothing to do with expanding on your thoughts; and

2) drury has been very good this season, and he''s even better than he''s looked. He very rarely looked exposed despite minimal cover in front of him.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Ncfcstar - my original reply to your message was comprised of two points, both of which you missed completely so well done.

To make them more straightforward for you:

1) you stated as if it were a fact that askou is not one of the best defenders in the league, actually, it''s just your opinion and it''s no more important than anyone elses, nothing to do with expanding on your thoughts; and

2) drury has been very good this season, and he''s even better than he''s looked. He very rarely looked exposed despite minimal cover in front of him.[/quote]And I think you''re being a cock for no particular reason, so a little less of the belittling.I never made out that my opinion was more important that anyone elses, it''s just the way that you interpreted it, so I don''t appreciate you making me out to be some pompous idiot.  In my opinion, which I have since expanded on because someone thought I was ''guessing'', Askou is not one of the best defenders in the league, and will be found out if we get promoted.Maybe I did misread your statement about Drury, but at least we agree on his performance levels this season. 

[quote user="Iwan Roberts Dentist"]

We need him as I don''t fancy Nelson against the likes of Rhodes and Novak, Paynter and Austin, Becchio and Beckford.

[/quote]

You may not but do you think that, unless there''s an unexpected disaster against Yeovil at the weekend or he gets injured, the manager is likely to drop Nelson before then?

The way it''s going at the moment I think Nelson is very unlikely to be out of the team before the end of the season. Not that he should be, he''s done well, he deserves his place.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Iwan Roberts Dentist"]

We need him as I don''t fancy Nelson against the likes of Rhodes and Novak, Paynter and Austin, Becchio and Beckford.

[/quote]

You may not but do you think that, unless there''s an unexpected disaster against Yeovil at the weekend or he gets injured, the manager is likely to drop Nelson before then?

The way it''s going at the moment I think Nelson is very unlikely to be out of the team before the end of the season. Not that he should be, he''s done well, he deserves his place.

[/quote]

It a very fair point Nelson has done well this season. However I was at the game against Oldham on Saturday and there were some worrying signs. Some terrible distribution and he got hopelessly outpaced for the one v one which Forster saved. It is the argument Smudger has been talking about for weeks. Are you pro active in trying to prevent the bad result by changing the team or do you wait until it goes wrong? Its a tough decision but Lambert gets these calls right most of the time.