Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Obscene chanting

Seems to be part and parcel these days but frankly I could do without it. Not clever, and unimaginative. Am I alone?

Quite agree. I sit in the lower Barclay with my 12 year old son and love to sing with the rest of the Barclay. He is sensible enough to know what he hears inside the ground is only for inside the ground, but I will not swear in front of him and end up singing "Grant Holt, we really love Grant Holt".

The "chit" on the old blue and white, gets through my filter, but not the F word.

I think you are sensible Dr Ink. Its great that you are able to bring your son to the best part of the ground and hopefully he will be a lifelong city supporter.

On the topic of foul and or abusive language i think football is becoming a bit sissy like rugby and i would stop going if that were to happen.

We are lucky with this club that it is oversubscribed so any shift in policy is unlikely to worry the club.

Worse still we could end up like portaloo road with no crowd noise at all

Swearing is both big and clever and there should be more of it!

[quote user="Squire"]Seems to be part and parcel these days but frankly I could do without it. Not clever, and unimaginative. Am I alone?[/quote]

Are you new to football?

I attended football matchs as a child with people effing and blinding for 90 minutes, never did me any harm.

It''s great that attending football games has turned into more of a family event over the years but yets not become too soft.

"Londoners, wank, wank, wank" or notherners, or whatever - just awful chant. Nothing to do with the swearing - it''s just inane.

Swearing is part of life, my children are aware of swearing but the crux of it is teaching them when its right or wrong to do so.I have no doubt my 12 year old swears like a sailor when with his mates but woe betide him if I ever hear it, or get told about it by a teacher.But if you want to see offensive check out the story in the Scottish Sun, Rangers invite Simon Weston (Falklands war hero) to an old firm game and the Celtic fans are Chanting "Argentina" at him and waving Argie football shirts.

I agree - that is offensive as was the "only one leg" chant when Aaron Ramsay was stretchered off. Nothing wrong with "I f@cking love Grant Holt!" - he always gives us a wave when we chant it!

I for one am an advocate for swearing and childish hand gestures. It makes me feel like a big man before I go home....And get a rollocking off the old woman

[quote user="Squire"]I started following Norwich in 1952. Only OTBC at that time.[/quote]

Long before me then, 1972 are my earliest memories but late 70''s for regular attendances. So obscenities in chanting part and parcel of all my experiences, hence my question.  

[quote user="NorwichCasual"]I for one am an advocate for swearing and childish hand gestures. It makes me feel like a big man before I go home....And get a rollocking off the old woman[/quote]

I suspect you may be joking therefore I shan''t accuse you of being a moron.

[quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="Squire"]I started following Norwich in 1952. Only OTBC at that time.[/quote]

Long before me then, 1972 are my earliest memories but late 70''s for regular attendances. So obscenities in chanting part and parcel of all my experiences, hence my question.  

[/quote]

Must admit I didn''t realise that such chanting has been in vogue for 30 years or more.

[quote user="Squire"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote] Must admit I didn''t realise that such chanting has been in vogue for 30 years or more.[/quote]

The racist chanting was worse than the swearing 

Squire, yes, a joke i think! I''ve got kids too and when I first started bringing them regularly I squirmed every time there was any swearing around us, but I''m afraid it was a case of put up with it or move seats. They all know that if I hear them repeat things they hear, away from the match, there will be trouble. I think it''s a small part of their enjoyment of the game now.

A very inciteful post NorwichCasual. I take it that you have never taken part in a ''sissy'' rugby match, and are basing your opinions on your limited knowledge of the game.

I, on the other hand, follow both codes, and I''ve played both football & rugby union to quite a reasonable standard, and have officiated at match level, I have also been a part of the crowd on a regular basis for both games.

I personally find it quite uplifting, when a physical giant, such as any of the professional rugby union players begin any comment to the referee as "Sir", who is normally much smaller in stature, and more importantly, they strictly obey his orders, whether right or wrong.

If any player on the pitch is overheard using gratuitous foul or abusive language, he will be sin-binned by the match official.

You will no doubt be aware that supporters are strictly segregated at football matches, whilst at rugby union matches there is no crowd separation at all, and all spectators, no matter how partisan, are permitted to sit wherever they wish. In fact it is a common sight to see opposing supporters applauding good play by either side. I regularly take my grandchildren to watch both domestic and international rugby matches, and I''ve never had to speak to them about the issue of bad language.

In over fifty years of following both games, I have never witnessed any problem with crowd violence in rugby, and any problem on the feild of play is immediately stamped out by the match official, sadly I cannot say the same about football.

I''ll gladly welcome you down to my chosen rugby club, Saracens, to witness this in action, and to discuss your claim that the game and conduct is ''sissy'' with a few of our players, although I doubt whether you''ll take me up on the offer.

[quote user="Steenos warm up"]A very inciteful post NorwichCasual. I take it that you have never taken part in a ''sissy'' rugby match, and are basing your opinions on your limited knowledge of the game. I, on the other hand, follow both codes, and I''ve played both football & rugby union to quite a reasonable standard, and have officiated at match level, I have also been a part of the crowd on a regular basis for both games. I personally find it quite uplifting, when a physical giant, such as any of the professional rugby union players begin any comment to the referee as "Sir", who is normally much smaller in stature, and more importantly, they strictly obey his orders, whether right or wrong. If any player on the pitch is overheard using gratuitous foul or abusive language, he will be sin-binned by the match official. You will no doubt be aware that supporters are strictly segregated at football matches, whilst at rugby union matches there is no crowd separation at all, and all spectators, no matter how partisan, are permitted to sit wherever they wish. In fact it is a common sight to see opposing supporters applauding good play by either side. I regularly take my grandchildren to watch both domestic and international rugby matches, and I''ve never had to speak to them about the issue of bad language. In over fifty years of following both games, I have never witnessed any problem with crowd violence in rugby, and any problem on the feild of play is immediately stamped out by the match official, sadly I cannot say the same about football. I''ll gladly welcome you down to my chosen rugby club, Saracens, to witness this in action, and to discuss your claim that the game and conduct is ''sissy'' with a few of our players, although I doubt whether you''ll take me up on the offer.[/quote]

Why would he? Sissy may have been an ill chosen word to describe the game but it is for poofs

Squire - That was a little humour before please accept my apology for said remark.

Steenos - Do you mean inciteful or insightful?

The Gut - Very funny, you daft ol'' queen

[quote user="Steenos warm up"]A very inciteful post NorwichCasual. I take it that you have never taken part in a ''sissy'' rugby match, and are basing your opinions on your limited knowledge of the game.

I, on the other hand, follow both codes, and I''ve played both football & rugby union to quite a reasonable standard, and have officiated at match level, I have also been a part of the crowd on a regular basis for both games.

I personally find it quite uplifting, when a physical giant, such as any of the professional rugby union players begin any comment to the referee as "Sir", who is normally much smaller in stature, and more importantly, they strictly obey his orders, whether right or wrong.

If any player on the pitch is overheard using gratuitous foul or abusive language, he will be sin-binned by the match official.

You will no doubt be aware that supporters are strictly segregated at football matches, whilst at rugby union matches there is no crowd separation at all, and all spectators, no matter how partisan, are permitted to sit wherever they wish. In fact it is a common sight to see opposing supporters applauding good play by either side. I regularly take my grandchildren to watch both domestic and international rugby matches, and I''ve never had to speak to them about the issue of bad language.

In over fifty years of following both games, I have never witnessed any problem with crowd violence in rugby, and any problem on the feild of play is immediately stamped out by the match official, sadly I cannot say the same about football.

I''ll gladly welcome you down to my chosen rugby club, Saracens, to witness this in action, and to discuss your claim that the game and conduct is ''sissy'' with a few of our players, although I doubt whether you''ll take me up on the offer.[/quote]The big ''fan love-in'' doesn''t make up for the fact that Ruggers is a bit shyte though, does it? [^o)]

For crying out loud squire its football. It was the backbones hobby of the working class,what do you expect? Stop being so wet cupcakes,those poor precious prince and princess might hear a naughty word...awwwww!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For crying out loud squire its football. It was the backbones hobby of the working class,what do you expect? Stop being so wet cupcakes,those poor precious prince and princess might hear a naughty word...awwwww![/quote]I can''t imagine you swearing Arthur being a true gent and all that, but being sworn AT, well that''s another matter! [;)]

[quote user="Steeno"]A very inciteful post NorwichCasual. I take it that you have never taken part in a ''sissy'' rugby match, and are basing your opinions on your limited knowledge of the game.

I''ll gladly welcome you down to my chosen rugby club, Saracens, to witness this in action, and to discuss your claim that the game and conduct is ''sissy'' with a few of our players, although I doubt whether you''ll take me up on the offer.[/quote]When preparing to gouge out an opposition''s eye, does the average gentlemanly rugger bugger ask permission of "sir"? 

[quote user="NorwichCasual"]Squire - That was a little humour before please accept my apology for said remark.

Steenos - Do you mean inciteful or insightful?

The Gut - Very funny, you daft ol'' queen[/quote]

Humour is always appreciated