Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Could we follow in Leicester footsteps?

Obviously Leicester were in the same position as us last season and got promoted from the league. This season they have come up and got themselves in the play off picture. If we do go up do people think we can maybe push on and try and if nto get a play off place try an get a top 10 finish. Leicester dont appear to have changed their team too much from last season and if we can keep lambert we know we have a good manager. The squad is good as it is and if we can make a few additions to the squad then we could have a good squad for next season

I think coming down to League 1 could be a blessing in disguise, much like promotion to the Premier League was almost a poison chalice. The club had gone stale, and I think getting relegated was the kick up the arse that was needed to make changes, which thankfully have come. As the saying goes, one step back, two steps forward.

[quote user="ncfc4life"]Obviously Leicester were in the same position as us last season and got promoted from the league. This season they have come up and got themselves in the play off picture. If we do go up do people think we can maybe push on and try and if nto get a play off place try an get a top 10 finish. Leicester dont appear to have changed their team too much from last season and if we can keep lambert we know we have a good manager. The squad is good as it is and if we can make a few additions to the squad then we could have a good squad for next season[/quote]Think it depends on our financial situation really, as we could do with a couple of good quality additions to the team I think.  But there is no reason why we couldn''t do what Leicester have done, the Championship is always a tight league and traditionally one team that had got promoted the previous season always do well as they have the winning habit.

We ae about 4 signings away from being a good championship team... I just hope we can go up and make them so we can compete!

I''m not really thinking about it yet, let''s win the league one championship first! I think we''ve got the makings of being a competitive side in the championship, but we''ve got to get there first haven''t we? I know it seems a foregone conclusion, but it isn''t... Football is a strange game...

Definitely do not wanna be negative, we''re doing great! I''m dreaming of following in Leicester''s footsteps too. Let''s get behind the boys and let''s clinch the championship, just like Leicester did!

I think it will depend a lot on Paul Lambert and how much improvement he has really made to existing players as it is hard to tell at present. If you look logically we lost what were considered as 2 of our better players in Croft and Clingan. If you then look at the players that most would consider in the running for player of the season - Doc - Forster - Russell - Drury -Holt - Hoolahan - Smith 3 of them played in our relegation team last year 2 were here ( Smith and Drury ) and there are 2 additions - Forster ( likely to go back to Newcastle or sign for a premiership team ) and Holt who is a bit like Doc Russell and Hoolahan in that he has not had a good previous experience in the championship. So I do feel only time will tell. One would expect at least a couple of additions plus of course there is Whitbread and McNamee ( again to my knowledge unproven in the championship ). I would not be surprised to see the sale of many players to finance a Paul Lambert team, and if Lambert feels the diamond will not operate in the Championship personally I think he will cash in on Hoolahan. Assuming promotion is acheived I would not think there would be a shortage of offers from league 1 clubs for the likes of Tudur - Jones - Lappin - Gill - Hughes - Nelson ect if Lambert decides he does not want them. The sale of players is of course per speculation.

Out of the current first team squad?

Forster - yes, but he won''t be here. Too big a step for Rudd at this time but should we have kept Joe Lewis?

Russell Martin - good enough

Doc - experienced but past his best at Championship level

Nelson - not good enough

Askou - good enough but needs a class centre half along side him.

Drury - maybe. Had a good season but age will tell at Championship level. Maybe one more year at that level.

Lappin - not good enough. Not enough pace. Got found out too often last year.

Russell - another maybe. A trier but a bit one dimensional. Grit won''t be enough on its own. Depends who the play maker is because Wes and Smith won''t be enough protection.

Wes - yes, but only with a class ball winner with him.

Smith - one for the future - a big step up after a good first season.

McNamee - unknown quantity. Maybe. Maybe too lightweight. Too early to tell.

Martin - good finisher but lacks the pace to shine at Championship level. League one was made for him. Has talent but will need to step up, but could have found his level.

Holt - Why not? Wouldn''t get away with things like he does in this league but will cause problems with a quality partner.

Hughes - another maybe. Squad player.

Johnson - a big step up. Probably not yet but who knows.

The rest doesn''t stand scrutiny yet. Lambert has built a nucleus that has been good enough to get out of this league, but more quality is needed to sustain a challenge in the league above. If we succeed in getting out of league one more work is needed just to consolidate before even thinking about pushing for promotion.

I think we could do a Leicester, but I think we''re perhaps more likely to do a Forest. Mid table next season, followed by an assault on the play off spots the season after. I think the best thing for the club right now would be continuous improvement, building up a decent squad that won''t be totally ruined if a couple of the best players left, which is exactly what we had when we were in the playoffs in 2002.

All I ask for is a steady and noticeable improvement, I would take 12th in the Championship next season if offered.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]I think our squad this season plus replacing 2-3 squad players with with better players and we could of been a top half Championship team![/quote]

I agree with that. I think the big question (one that comes up a lot now even) is against the better teams who play with more pace and width, does the diamond leave us too exposed, and if so, how do you fit Wes into a 442 style shape?

If we can solve that effectively we could exceed expectations. Tricky one though.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]I think our squad this season plus replacing 2-3 squad players with with better players and we could of been a top half Championship team![/quote]

I agree with that. I think the big question (one that comes up a lot now even) is against the better teams who play with more pace and width, does the diamond leave us too exposed, and if so, how do you fit Wes into a 442 style shape?

If we can solve that effectively we could exceed expectations. Tricky one though.

[/quote]

As I said previously if he is going 442 I would be surprised if Hoolahan was not sold to fund this.

Forster- Probably won''t be here but could easily be in the Prem.

Rudd - Yes.

Spillane - Probably.

R Martin - Has played there before but not too sure yet.

Doherty - Last season Doc? No. The new, confident Doc. Don''t see why not.

Nelson - Had a good season but will probably be a squad player next year.

Askou - Yes.

Drury - Getting on a bit but should cope.

Whitbread - Yes.

Russell - Has had a good Champ career for Stoke nd was a very good player for us the season before last.

Smith - Yes.

Lappin - No.

Hoolahan - Yes. Especially in his free role.

McNamee - Got promoted to Prem with Watford as one on their main players so yes.

Hughes - Maybe.

OTJ - Has more to give us.

Gill - No.

Adeyemi - Will probably feature more next season.

Holt - Probably but would need to calm down.

C Martin - Yes.

Oli - Yes.

Cody - Maybe.

[quote user="Lambert is King"][quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[/quote] As I said previously if he is going 442 I would be surprised if Hoolahan was not sold to fund this.[/quote]

Do you think he''ll go 4-4-2? My gut instinct tells me that he won''t, or not at least until he''s tried 4-1-2-1-2 out in the championship.

" Holt - Probably but would need to calm down."

But that''s what makes him the player he is. Does my heart good to see a player chasing about like he does.

I believe we will be there or there abouts. The set up in charge don''t look like they have not taken over to try to ''do their best''. There is a hard faced assured, determination about them. I wouldn''t be surprised if come the title presentation there''s a polite "ok, but if you don''t mind we''ve got next season to prepare for".

As to the players a number of them look like they just need a good bit of work on them and then who knows what. If Lambert and co can revive the Doc, reignite Rusty and rejuvenate Hooly boy then I''ve every confidence that one or two of the lesser mortals may look a bit more polished come August.

Chuck in the handful of youth players coming through and if we keep most of who we have now I am very optimistic.

if there''s a dark cloud then that has to be the possible loss of Forster. The lad has been outstanding. Will be in the shortlist for player of the year.

Keep him and we will be looking good.

Doc''s Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"]

Rudd - Yes.

Spillane - Probably.

Askou - Yes.

Whitbread - Yes.

Russell - Has had a good Champ career for Stoke nd was a very good player for us the season before last.

Smith - Yes.

Lappin - No.

McNamee - Got promoted to Prem with Watford as one on their main players so yes.

Hughes - Maybe.

Gill - No.

C Martin - Yes.

Oli - Yes.

Cody

Agree with most of that except saying the Doc wasn''t good enough last season - WHAT!

One of our best players last season and I thinkt he Championships his level!

Lappins no worldbeater buts hes been a vital cog in a lot of games this season, so I think could do a job for us as a squad player in the Championship at least!

You then say that Adeyemi will feature more next season - Unless he developes an engine, gets stuck in more and stops being a stroller (look at Korey Smith to see what Adeyemi should be like!) he''ll become another over rated youngster who flops like the Jarvis bros and Henderson did!

Holt has to clam down - well in the first few games after he came back from suspension, Holt calmed down to such an extent in not tackling or getting stuck in, that he wasn''t having bearly any influence on the games. Good job he snapped out of that at Oldham last Saturday!

[quote user="Docs Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"]

Rudd - Yes.

Spillane - Probably.

Askou - Yes.

Whitbread - Yes.

Smith - Yes.

Lappin - No.

Hughes - Maybe.

Gill - No.

C Martin - Yes.

Oli - Yes.

Cody - Maybe.

[/quote]Glad that somebody pointed out the truth with regards To McNamee... [Y]He played a big hand in getting Watford promoted with him laying many games on one wing with Ashley Young down the other and Marlon King and Heider Helguson upfront I think.  He even played a few games for them in the Premiership so it is obvious that he is a class act at this level and has what it takes to play in a succesful Championship side also.