Sign in to follow this  
TheNewBoy

A seasons worth of posts from a 'lurker'

Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum for yonks now, well at least a couple of seasons anyway. Been watching city week in week out for over a decade though.... this is going to be seen as a slightly random and almost off topic rant, but I just wanted to get everything off my chest to avoid being one of those irritating trolls who starts a thread each time they have any thought about city whatsoever (e.g. 40 times a day).....

I will start with Bryan Gunn, I like him. Useless manager, completely wrong decision to appoint him, right time to sack him (although perhaps should have waited for the next defeat, that probably would have been Brentford). We DO have to give him a little credit though, he could have sold Chris Martin and Mickey Spillane to Luton Town..... Roeder would have done. Martin looks like the best thing to come out of our youth team since Robert Green. If worst comes to worst, he is equal to Jason Shackell (in other words a decent Championship player). He brought in Grant Holt. So would many other managers, but we could have been stuck with Alan Lee this year - I doubt he would have banged in 26 goals with a quarter of a season to go. Kudos for that, we all know that Holt cost at leastb the same as Lee would have done. Whilst Lee would be a useful squad player for us even next year, he isnt a Grant Holt. Period.

We wouldnt have gone up with Gunn in charge, but blame Doncaster and the board for that, he genuinely believed he was building a good squad. Whilst everybody is quick to jump on his mistakes, he also layed at least a few of the foundations for Lambert. There was also a strong suggestion that the board wanted Hoolohan gone and Gunn didn''t, that is just speculation of course, but if that is the case then that is a huge decision. McNally can hold his head high for sacking Gunn, but Gunn does not deserve the criticism aimed at him, Doncaster should getting a lot of that.

McNally..... what a man. Everything that we needed when we needed it, I personally hope that his relationship with this club is a long one. Im not sure how much of a positive impact the other new board members have made, but this man deserves a gold medal for the way that he has arrested the decline at this club and his drive and ambition is in my humble opinion the catalyst. McNally was successful at Celtic, successful at Fulham, has always appointed the right man.... and has again. We can go wherever we want to with McNally, Im almost in love with him. In fact, I was a staunch anti-Deliarite, and I couldnt care less about the woman being at the club for as long as McNally is pushing the pen. I cant think of one thing that I can criticise McNally for..... and I wouldnt rule him out getting offered a job at any club in football. I feel like Norwich has a football club again.

Next season.... I dont want to tempt fate, but I believe we have plenty enough by way of quality and enough luck to get out of this division as champs. I wont be celebrating the title though, I will be celebrating the recovery of our pride and dignity. I dont want a civic ceremony or a bus parade, put it that way, I wont celebrate the rectifying of a failure. I will respect and forgive though.

Target upon promotion? Consolidation. Horrible Doncasteresque word that, but we have ALL seen the huge gulf in standards of football. I have seen people suggesting that Hoolohan, Martin, and Holt could do it in the Premiership. Personally, I dont think that they would be anything other than ''pretty good'' in the championship. The question has to be asked as to whether Lambert will even consider Hoolohan as required next year. He doesnt like him on the left, we dont know whether the diamond works at that level, and Hoolohan will need a new contract in the summer (else we will be cashing in I suspect).

Some of the players that we have right now are 100% not good enough for the championship. Nelson, R Martin, Lappin, Gill, Tudor Jones.... I have grave doubts about any of those. Rose too of course, the sooner Drury is fit the better. I would even been skeptical about Doherty, Cody Mac and the very raw Oli Johnson. I think we just need to look at Peterborough, they slaughtered this division and flopped completely under the highly rated Darren Ferguson. They spent very little, I would like to see 5 champs quality players in the summer - and irrespective of whether we go up or not too..... McNally has shown how the club will meet that requirement, we are all paying more for our season tickets. More than treble the TV rev, and some of that parachute payment slice from promoted clubs, I want to see that money invested. Anyway, thats for the future.

Another small thing.... that Aussie keeper.... I think about this every time I read about him. I keep seeing people criticise his attempt at clearing that Otsemober backpass.... nobody, even pundits, point out that touching that back pass would have resulted in a straight red. It was clear that he was in two minds between letting in the goal and getting a straight red. Perhaps the red would have been the option, he looked pretty awful, but on the other hand I think any keeper in the world would have been on edge after getting a fucking back pass like that. I felt bad for him to be honest, but I still wouldnt trust him again.

Canary Kitty - What an absolute joke, the bloke should have been made accountable through the police and the so called journalists of Archant should have been all over that like a rash. I dont particularly like Tilson either, but at least he maintains a respectable presence and will be straight to the point with people.

Blimey..... that really was a rant..... sorry guys and girls, a response or two wouldnt go amiss though...... "old news, old news, come and get your old news"

Ok, I have just googled your troll language. "Too lazy, didn''t read"..... Let me guess, your too lazy to sing at games too? Wayhay, my first encounter with a Pink un troll.... I will write this in my diary.... and celebrate it every 3rd March...

Cheers mate, been reading your posts for a while.... your post count suggests that you are truly heavyweight too.... Thanks for taking the time to read.

Good post. I agree with the fact that we will need new players in the squad, although I do believe Doherty can handle the Championship quite comfortably, although Nelson couldn''t. I think with Jens, Doc and Whitbread we would be OK in CB area, but I would like cover for Spillane and Drury at both full backs and I agree we would need to buy more quality in midfield, and also add another striker up front.

good write up mate....don''t worry about certain posters who ruin it for everyone else

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I thought that was a pretty decent summary.
[/quote]

Me too.

Oh and New Boy, your troll. If you notice he/she''s ''at City Hall waiting for Delia''.............

OTBC 

Good report, only one criticism - you don''t get a red for touching a backpass- at least I''ve never seen anyone get one yet -even if it is going in the goal. Only ever an indirect free kick.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Cheers mate, been reading your posts for a while.... your post count suggests that you are truly heavyweight too.... Thanks for taking the time to read.[/quote]Heavyweight ?  Overweight apart from when I''m drinking, then I''m a featherweight [;)]Nah, I''m just another one of them trolls that posts every thought they have [:)]...If you have another one of those posts next season, I''ll read that too !  Or before if you like ?

Spot on that. Summed up many of my views to a tee.Welcome to the PinkUn posters community. Where the only measure that a post count should be used for is trolling ability, and certain people will post purely for attention (Sup Smudge).Look forward to more of your views.

Cheers guys, good to see that the thread didnt fall down the list within 5 mins!

@Norfolknchance - Didnt realise that, re: Red Card, thanks for pointing that out, now I come to think of it.... I havent seen a red for that either. I guess that makes him a muppet afterall.

@Blyblybabes - Im sure that I will have another post sometime! I dont like getting sucked into forums too much, I work entirely online so thats a dangerous combination.... at least it is if you work for yourself rather than a company!

Cheers everybody else! See you in 2011, lol just kidding.....

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]Ok, I have just googled your troll language. "Too lazy, didn''t read"..... Let me guess, your too lazy to sing at games too? Wayhay, my first encounter with a Pink un troll.... I will write this in my diary.... and celebrate it every 3rd March...[/quote]The TL;DR thing was a joke. Your post was long, but on reading it again, it is indeed direct and well written. As for trolling, what other possible use is there for the internet?I''m not trying to "make friends" with complete strangers in cyberspace, I''m simply amusing myself.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Good report, only one criticism - you don''t get a red for touching a backpass- at least I''ve never seen anyone get one yet -even if it is going in the goal. Only ever an indirect free kick.[/quote]

Welcome Newboy - good post and good summary of a lot of whats been on here the last few months.  And all without pointless negative drivel from Cluck and multiple posts from Brendan and Nana

Only one inaccuracy - as norfolkchance1 mentions although to handle the backpass would have denied a goalscoring opportunity it is only (currently) punishable by indirect free kick - and a red wouldnt be directly awarded for that.  Having said that I wouldnt mind betting FIFA will change the rules again at some point

As for Theoklitos, he wasnt totally at fault for all the goals - however as time goes on people only remember the scoreline and think that it must have all been the keepers fault.  Theos problem is that he didnt instill confidence in a creaky back line - a better keeper would have been doing all he could to reorganise his defence and keep things tight.  We just let in more goals.  He was dodgy in a few of the reserve games too.  Subsequent to that was the match at Gillingham and not showing up for the bus - and I think THAT is what ultimately did for him in Lambert''s mind.  He blew his 2nd chance and didnt deserve a 3rd 

Agreed, a good post. I''ve said on here before that I admire all you posters who can put that amount of text down with your info and opinions. It makes a damn good read.

I feel that with Lambo and Culverhouse they could just surprise us with some players we fear may not be up to Championship standard. As an example I give you The Doc. Here is a player I had given up on a long time ago but what a revelation he has been. I certainly have fewer doubts that he can maintain this form in the next league up.

Comments re McNally 100% but don''t forget Bowkett. Here we have two top businessmen who complement each others skills. How lucky we are to have them. Yep Norwich City Football Club - a proper club again!!

Great first post which I enjoyed reading.

Welcome to the site, have fun and stick around. [:)]

I too am a big fan of McNally and, as another poster has said, the relationship between him and Bowkett seems to be working well.

My only small moan was the handling of Bryan Gunn''s removal from the Club.  Whilst I never wanted Gunn in charge permanently after seeing us relegated and, therefore the decision was the right one, its the way it was handled and the timing that I didn''t like.

However, one thing seems fairly certain and that is that we''re not soft, little ''ol Norwich any more so that attitude for me now outweighs any concerns I had about BG''s removal - what a fickle world we [or probably "I"] live in!!  [:P]

Welcome to the message boards and keep posting!