Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Who made the best purchase? Southampton getting Lambert or us getting Holt?

I love Holt to bits, but to be frank, Lambert has more about his game, and without wanting to be hung by my privates at city hall, I do think Lamberts the better all round player. I ve seen figure of 1.5m mentioned on here. Thats not true, Lambert cost £750,000 plus add ons, rising to 1m depending on promotion, goal etc etc. Info taken from Bristol Rovers forum.

[quote user="Buckfast"]I love Holt to bits, but to be frank, Lambert has more about his game, and without wanting to be hung by my privates at city hall, I do think Lamberts the better all round player. I ve seen figure of 1.5m mentioned on here. Thats not true, Lambert cost £750,000 plus add ons, rising to 1m depending on promotion, goal etc etc. Info taken from Bristol Rovers forum.[/quote]The question isn''t who is the best player but who was the better purchase. Again there is barely a year between them in age and their scoring record this season is pretty even - two goals difference in the league, I couldn''t give a monkeys about the cups. I think even Southampton would trade wins in the league for wins in the cup.Like I said before - twice the price leading to more and 2 goals more, is Lambert really that much better than Holt if he is? I don''t think you can deny that Holt is a bargain for the rumoured amount we paid for him.On top of that its likely that he will be 29 and playing in the Championship next season. Lambert will be 28 and in all probability still be playing in League 1. So Southampton would have paid out what they have for what will be a league one striker for two seasons assuming the get promoted next season.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

It annoys me how some clubs seem to get off lightly with the administration thing. Ok the 10 point deduction is a small hit, but Southampton have had all debts written off and are rebuilding a strong team. IMO regardless of any new owners, the club should still be responsible for paying off the people they owe money too, when they have the means to pay it. If they want to get away from paying the debt, the club should be dissolved, and have to reapply to join the football league, probably in at least 2 divisions lower. Similar to what has happened at Kings Lynn.

This would mean, the administration option is more like a limited time freeze on debt payments, meaning the clubs can survive, but must sort out their overspending and quickly. If no progress was being made they would have to be wound down by the administrators over time until they were a viable financial concern.

I''m sure this would make clubs far more reluctant to take the adminstration thing as an easy option to get back on track, with the 10 points being a very limited penalty for years of overspending and living beyond their means.

[/quote]Thing is though Southampton''s case is slightly irregular as the new owner came in and paid off all the debts in full, meaning the club did not write off their debts.  In reality if he had come in sooner they wouldn''t have needed to go into admin at all, although he probably did pay less for the club as a whole in that situation.In response to Smudger, did Leeds not start with minus 25?  Also if I remember correctly they had such a good start they were in a position to push for the title until their, as is now customary, wobble occurred.

Difficult to say as we dont know about Lamberts contribution other than his goals, but Holts all round contribution to the city cause has been massive i think, not just his 25 goals but his leadership on the pitch, he really is Lamberts influence on matchday and he drives the whole team forward with his hard work.