Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

No to Russell for next saturday

I dont know if anyone remembers, but Huddersfield bossed us first half at our place..... untill Russell came off at half time and then we picked up woth Hughes dominating. Rusty is a key player for us however the diamond didnt work against them at all! Keep it the same for saturday for me, they dont look good at defending balls in the air watching the Saints match highlights so McNamee could run riot!

Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.

think i would like to see same team for next week with Russel on bench, hard to change a winning side unless drury is fit to replace Rose.

[quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]Ah well... maybe so. But I will stick with my point about the dimond against huddersfield and I think McNamee could be effective against them!

[quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]Thats what I remember too. Although I agree, Huddersfield were all over us in the first half at FCR.

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]

Ah well... maybe so. But I will stick with my point about the dimond against huddersfield and I think McNamee could be effective against them!
[/quote]

Well there is no "maybe so" about it. Adeyemi was out of his depth, Hughes came on. The game changed.

Darel Russell did a good job in that game.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]

Thats what I remember too. Although I agree, Huddersfield were all over us in the first half at FCR.
[/quote]

They were but Darel Russell was also our best performer from the midfield in that first half.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]Ah well... maybe so. But I will stick with my point about the dimond against huddersfield and I think McNamee could be effective against them![/quote]

Well there is no "maybe so" about it. Adeyemi was out of his depth, Hughes came on. The game changed.

[/quote]No need to get your knickers in a twist... We looked like we were going to loose that match at half time with the central play and though I think russel should be in the team for Swindon and Leeds, I wouldnt risk reverting back to the diamond formation for Huddersfield  as they used are flanks very well. One player who I would put in for saturday is Dury, the sooner he is back the better.

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]

Ah well... maybe so. But I will stick with my point about the dimond against huddersfield and I think McNamee could be effective against them!
[/quote]

[/quote]
No need to get your knickers in a twist... We looked like we were going to loose that match at half time with the central play and though I think russel should be in the team for Swindon and Leeds, I wouldnt risk reverting back to the diamond formation for Huddersfield  as they used are flanks very well. One player who I would put in for saturday is Dury, the sooner he is back the better.
[/quote]

I wasn''t getting my knickers in a twist. You started the thread based on inaccurate information, I''m just pointing you in the right direction. :-)

Huddersfield had a lot of the ball in the first half of that game but never really threatened us. We were just a bit light in midfield cos Adeyemi wasn''t up to it. The manager brought Hughes on for him and all of a sudden we were on a level playing field and our class showed.

Huddersfield with their home record and recent results are going to need to attack,  Russel should play to assist the Defence.  Counter attacking will win this game.  Macnamee also to play Lappin to get a rest a long one hopefully.

russell in for macca for me back to the diamond. lappin played well today unlucky not to score and played some good passes and broke the play up well. would def have drury back though for rose

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]Thats what I remember too. Although I agree, Huddersfield were all over us in the first half at FCR.[/quote]

They were but Darel Russell was also our best performer from the midfield in that first half.

[/quote]Im sure he was. Im not arguing for Russell to be out the team, reckon he should come in for Lappin. Or in for Rose with lappin going to LB. To the original poster - The diamond didnt work in the first half, but as we went onto win 3-0 it looks like it did in the second half!

[quote user="pete"]Huddersfield with their home record and recent results are going to need to attack,  Russel should play to assist the Defence.  Counter attacking will win this game.  Macnamee also to play Lappin to get a rest a long one hopefully.[/quote]

So Lappin had a bad game today did he? Idiot.

I''d put Russell in simply cause Huddersfield are tremendous at home so the more protection the back 4 has got the better!

Who should he replace?

Probably Lappin cause Smith is similar to Russell in protecting the back 4 and we''ll need some attacking outlet so I''d keep Mcnamee in!

we have to go back to the diamond for next week , hopefully drury and spillanne can return as our full backs to give us better attacking options ,hoolihan looks lost in the present formation ,and has done ever since drurys been out

Russell must come back in for MacNamee. We need to be tight in these important next 3 games. A point at Huddersfield and Swindon will be more than good enough.We only need 15 points from 11 games so absolutely no need to be expansive.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="GJP"]Tom Adeyemi, playing on the right side of midfield, came off at halftime and was replaced by Stephen Hughes.[/quote]

Thats what I remember too. Although I agree, Huddersfield were all over us in the first half at FCR.
[/quote]

Thats how I remember it. Russel has to play, we will  need his hard edge in midfield, Lapin didnt show up much again today, apart from an excellent shot, he should be dropped.   

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Thats how I remember it. Russel has to play, we will  need his hard edge in midfield, Lapin didnt show up much again today, apart from an excellent shot, he should be dropped.   

[/quote]

You must have gone to a different game, so you didn''t notice him running down the wing and getting in crosses and winning corners, best he''s played for a while. people say what has Chris Martin got to do to win people over what the hell has Lappin got to do, had more than 1 excellent shot too.

Russell has been immense for us this season and should always start. He provides a screen for our defense, distributes the ball effectively without overcomplicating it, and often ends up dominating the central midfield.As for who Lambert drops to make way is a tough one. Not Korey, definitely not. He''s like the Duracell bunny - he just keeps on going. Not McNammee, who has set up loads of goals and given opposition teams something new to deal with. Hard to drop Wes, as he a such a pain in the arse for the opposition to track. So for me, probably Lappin so Wes can play on the left, tucking in and wandering (as he does).Though I suspect Lambert will do something completely different. Then change it at half time. Then make some absurdly bold tactical substitution to win us the game in the last 10 minutes, as per usual.

He was anonymous in the first half despite all the posession we had, poor delivery, one excellent shot with left foot and a soft one with his right. Not worth his place, there are better players on the  bench! 

I certainly dont think droping McNamee is the answer, he is doing well and like I said Huddersfield struggled against crosses into the box in against the saints.

Why drop McNamee? He''s probably been our best player the last few games, and has set-up goals in our last 3 games.

Smith doesn''t deserve to be dropped after today. He''s going to be a class act for us.

Hoolahan''s mere presence scares teams. He also must start.

Lappin has been under-par recent weeks, but by all accounts played well today. Being left-footed, he offers a better balance.

Sorry, but people have taken their chances, and don''t deserve to be dropped. We''ve got 9 points from 9 without him, and it''d be unfair to drop players to accomodate him.

Contradicting myself totally, but if Drury''s fit, I''d have him back in a heartbeat (even if Rose improved today, Drury has been top class this year and we''ve missed him)

Rusty straight back in for me and Drury replacing Rose.

Definite change for me. Russell instead of McNamee, particularly as it could be one of our toughest away games. Don''t quite understand the clamour for McNamee. Noticeable today he is a left winger and cannot take on and pass a fullback on the right flank. Crossing OK but nothing exceptional. Reminds me of Wright-Phillips. Quick and tricky but not a lot of fruitful end product. However has potential and given time could be very useful.