Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Telling Comment?

The chances of Lambert being able to keep Elliott for next season appear to be remote.

“It''s a lot to do with finances,” he said. “We can''t afford what people were used to in the Championship, we can''t do it, we can''t do a lot of things we did last year. We have to work with what we have got. It''s nothing major, Preston helped us, which is great and we try and get the best out of people who come here.”

So, there we are.

It appears that if we are promoted we will have a player budget certainly smaller than Preston.

If this is the reality and Lambert accepts it, fine. But I don''t understand why we could not afford the likes of Elliot. Do Preston have serious funding from elsewhere?

For me, this is a telling comment as to how we intend to progress once promoted. I have to say Championship top half will satisfy me next season. It seems we have a long way to go to repair our finances yet!

If we were not still subsidising JC would we need Preston to subsidise SE?

Or is Lambert just playing it coy, not alarming his current players overly and seeking to avoid being ripped off for players in the future?

We have to hope that new owners are in place for next season otherwise we could end up back in league 1 again if we fail to invest in new players.

Reasoned reply.

We spent heavily last season. That budget will most likely not be available.

My suggestion is that much of next season''s budget has already been committed. This is a positive in the sense that lambert has already put most of his squad together for next season.

I would be surprised if Elliot is not here for a longer period. Lambert does not seem to be in the market for stop gap fillers. Given our position I would be surprised if Elliot is here as a standby. I would also expect more than mid table safety as I suspect the board and Lambert would.

Much is dependant on the manager. something we have lacked at Carrow Road (for many reasons) for a while. Ron Saunders came in and fired up the same players to take the old Div 2 title, taking us into the top spot for the first time. Lambert has done much the same.

I doubt he has made that remark, knowing the effect it would have on Elliot, without having some other thought behind it.

I don''t think we should get ahead of ourselves and start hoping for anything more than midtable next season, I''m not saying it won''t happen, but the expectation should be to lay down the foundations of a solid Championship team with the view of play-offs in 2 years and Automatics in 4 years if we don''t go up before, in my view.We have a strong academy by the looks of the results we''re getting, hopefully Smith will be a top player within 2 years, and players like Adeyemi and Rudd can push on and make the 1st team, we have strong players in Martin, Whitbread, Askou, Holt and Johnson, hopefully they''ll all make the grade at Championship level to accompany those whom we know can in Hoolahan, Drury and Russell. I think we have the basis of a good championship squad, but it''ll take a couple of years of adding 1 or 2 quality players before we''re a force to be reckoned with in the Championship imo.

Success next season for me would simply be staying in the championship. We dont know how many of these players can cut it at a higher level. The reality of the situation is that next season we''ll be signing lower league players who we believe can make the jump up to championship. I have no problem with this. Players of that quality are out there at reasonable money. I am thinking about people like Carl Baker, Barnard and Puncheon who were all snapped relatively cheaply. However the days of loanees are gone (thank goodness) and I doubt you will see us paying £500,000 for a player unless there are exceptional circumstances (i.e Grant Holt).

you just have to look at teams like forest to realise that we can put a team together without spending lots of money as well as leicester come to that .

we have a strong squad of players ,who would make it in the championship without a problem .

then again you can look at our neighbours who have paid over the odds for players who are flops and fighting relegation this season . i think to be fair we could add some depth to the squad without spending a fortune , free transfers and maybe 2 or 3 loan players .

i firmly feel the current team we have could give most teams a good run for thier money in the championship , we have a different team to what we had last season, and i think the players who have made us proud this year deserve the chance to prove they can take another step up . we may be surprised with what we have now..

we had to start from scratch at the end of last season and way too many changes have done us serious damage in the past . half the reason we are achieving well is now we have some form of stability at the carrow road camp, and manager who knows what he is doing .

first things first , getting lambert to sign a good contract is top of the list i feel .

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The chances of Lambert being able to keep Elliott for next season appear to be remote.

“It''s a lot to do with finances,” he said. “We can''t afford what people were used to in the Championship, we can''t do it, we can''t do a lot of things we did last year. We have to work with what we have got. It''s nothing major, Preston helped us, which is great and we try and get the best out of people who come here.”

So, there we are.

It appears that if we are promoted we will have a player budget certainly smaller than Preston.

If this is the reality and Lambert accepts it, fine. But I don''t understand why we could not afford the likes of Elliot. Do Preston have serious funding from elsewhere?[/quote]To answer your specific question, Preston DO have a sugar daddy. One Trevor Hemmings, who has, it is estimated, loaned the club, a bit more than £11m over the years and effectively saved it from administration in doing so.However I''m afraid the logic of your post escapes me. Last year, in the Championship, we had a Championship-level budget. This year we have a lower, League One-level budget, albeit one almost certainly higher than most other clubs in the division. One that Yeovil, for example, with only six subs yesterday, would kill for.How does getting a Preston player on loan for a dozen games season mean we have no chance of having a budget next season to rival Preston''s - assuming we actually get promoted?If anything (given that Lambert tends to turn loanees into permanent signings) I would have thought it would suggest the opposite - that he is hoping our budget might well equal or exceed Preston''s.But, leaving that aside, the reality is that nothing will get set in stone and decisions made until we know which division we will be in.And that applies almost certainly applies to any potential buyers and probably to minority investors as well. Something that plainly would affect the level of the budget.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The chances of Lambert being able to keep Elliott for next season appear to be remote. “It''s a lot to do with finances,” he said. “We can''t afford what people were used to in the Championship, we can''t do it, we can''t do a lot of things we did last year. We have to work with what we have got. It''s nothing major, Preston helped us, which is great and we try and get the best out of people who come here.” So, there we are. It appears that if we are promoted we will have a player budget certainly smaller than Preston. If this is the reality and Lambert accepts it, fine. But I don''t understand why we could not afford the likes of Elliot. Do Preston have serious funding from elsewhere?[/quote]

To answer your specific question, Preston DO have a sugar daddy. One Trevor Hemmings, who has, it is estimated, loaned the club, a bit more than £11m over the years and effectively saved it from administration in doing so.

However I''m afraid the logic of your post escapes me. Last year, in the Championship, we had a Championship-level budget. This year we have a lower, League One-level budget, albeit one almost certainly higher than most other clubs in the division. One that Yeovil, for example, with only six subs yesterday, would kill for.

How does getting a Preston player on loan for a dozen games season mean we have no chance of having a budget next season to rival Preston''s - assuming we actually get promoted?

If anything (given that Lambert tends to turn loanees into permanent signings) I would have thought it would suggest the opposite - that he is hoping our budget might well equal or exceed Preston''s.

But, leaving that aside, the reality is that nothing will get set in stone and decisions made until we know which division we will be in.

And that applies almost certainly applies to any potential buyers and probably to minority investors as well. Something that plainly would affect the level of the budget.
[/quote]

Would ''only six subs Yeovil'' - also kill, for our £23 million debt?

[quote user="singing canary"]

you just have to look at teams like forest to realise that we can put a team together without spending lots of money as well as leicester come to that .

we have a strong squad of players ,who would make it in the championship without a problem .

then again you can look at our neighbours who have paid over the odds for players who are flops and fighting relegation this season . i think to be fair we could add some depth to the squad without spending a fortune , free transfers and maybe 2 or 3 loan players .

i firmly feel the current team we have could give most teams a good run for thier money in the championship , we have a different team to what we had last season, and i think the players who have made us proud this year deserve the chance to prove they can take another step up . we may be surprised with what we have now..

we had to start from scratch at the end of last season and way too many changes have done us serious damage in the past . half the reason we are achieving well is now we have some form of stability at the carrow road camp, and manager who knows what he is doing .

first things first , getting lambert to sign a good contract is top of the list i feel .

[/quote]

Forest have spent millions getting to where they are now I beleive.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Purple Canary. How does the logic escape you. Is it not clear what Lambert is saying?[/quote]Rudolph, it is quite clear from that quote about Elliott what Lambert is saying, and that is that we can''t afford to do things this season that we could afford to do last season. A statement of the obvious, I would have thought.But you went on to infer from that statement what our budget would be for next season, and that is where the illogicality comes in. How does getting an extra player in on loan from a Championship team make you able to deduce what our budget will be for next season when neither you nor I nor Lambert nor the directors know yet which division we will be in and what investment there might be? That is what you haven''t explained.

I think Lambert is just playing his usual canny ''game''. If you''re thinking of signing a player the last thing you say is that ''money is no problem''. That increases expectations of transfer fee level and salaries from selling club and player. If we decided that we want Elliot I''ve no doubt we will sign him at a bargain fee, barring him scoring a hatful of goals by the end of the season.