Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Brian McDermott and Bryan Gunn

These two have been in pretty

similar positions, backroom staff for about 10 years followed by becomming caretaker manager. Then signing as full time manager for Reading and City respectively. If only Gunn did as well as McDermott is doing in the FA cup, obviously he couldn''t as it was the later half of the season but still. Similar experience and I for one hope McDermott does well and doesn''t get the sack so quick like Gunn.

The previous manager was even more similar to Gunn, and I was pretty shocked when they appointed him.

Well at least Mcdermott has alot of experience as a coach as he has been at reading in some sort of coaching capacity for about 10 years now whereas Bryan Gunn spent about 7 years in hospitality here became a scout (Which he wassnt good at) before some bright spark thought even though he has next to no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience whatsoever we should appoint him as manager anyway

[quote user="ncfc4life"]Well at least Mcdermott has alot of experience as a coach as he has been at reading in some sort of coaching capacity for about 10 years now whereas Bryan Gunn spent about 7 years in hospitality here became a scout (Which he wassnt good at) before some bright spark thought even though he has next to no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience whatsoever we should appoint him as manager anyway[/quote]And McDermott had actually played football at the highest level. Where as Gunn had played in goal.. it hardly gives you the same understanding of the game.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="ncfc4life"]Well at least Mcdermott has alot of experience as a coach as he has been at reading in some sort of coaching capacity for about 10 years now whereas Bryan Gunn spent about 7 years in hospitality here became a scout (Which he wassnt good at) before some bright spark thought even though he has next to no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience whatsoever we should appoint him as manager anyway
[/quote]

And McDermott had actually played football at the highest level. Where as Gunn had played in goal.. it hardly gives you the same understanding of the game.
[/quote]

I''m not going to get into the whole Gunn debate again, but to be fair to him in this comparison he played at the highest level a lot more than Mcdermott (a lot more) and there is no reasonable logic that he didn''t have the same or even better understanding than McDermott. Keep it real!

The difference is that McDermott is probably going to keep Reading up. However it looks like a really short termist appointment from Madjeski. I can''t see him being succesful over a sustained period. Then again few people are in management....

[quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="ncfc4life"]Well at least Mcdermott has alot of experience as a coach as he has been at reading in some sort of coaching capacity for about 10 years now whereas Bryan Gunn spent about 7 years in hospitality here became a scout (Which he wassnt good at) before some bright spark thought even though he has next to no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience whatsoever we should appoint him as manager anyway[/quote]And McDermott had actually played football at the highest level. Where as Gunn had played in goal.. it hardly gives you the same understanding of the game.[/quote]

I''m not going to get into the whole Gunn debate again, but to be fair to him in this comparison he played at the highest level a lot more than Mcdermott (a lot more) and there is no reasonable logic that he didn''t have the same or even better understanding than McDermott. Keep it real!

[/quote]In my opinion playing in goal is nowhere near playing outfield. You have a completely different set of skills to master and your positioning is totally different. All in all the only real interaction you would have with outfield players is by standing between the sticks watching. You could argue that being involved with the game gives more experience but it''s still not first hand experience. I''m not saying you have to play the game to be a good manager. We know this isn''t the case. But when your comparing Gunn to Mcdermott it''s clear that Mcdermott would understand the game far better from a players point of view. Reasonable logic says that a goalkeeper only has a slight better understanding than someone who watches the game from the stands.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="ncfc4life"]Well at least Mcdermott has alot of experience as a coach as he has been at reading in some sort of coaching capacity for about 10 years now whereas Bryan Gunn spent about 7 years in hospitality here became a scout (Which he wassnt good at) before some bright spark thought even though he has next to no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience whatsoever we should appoint him as manager anyway
[/quote]

And McDermott had actually played football at the highest level. Where as Gunn had played in goal.. it hardly gives you the same understanding of the game.
[/quote]

[/quote]

In my opinion playing in goal is nowhere near playing outfield. You have a completely different set of skills to master and your positioning is totally different. All in all the only real interaction you would have with outfield players is by standing between the sticks watching. You could argue that being involved with the game gives more experience but it''s still not first hand experience. I''m not saying you have to play the game to be a good manager. We know this isn''t the case. But when your comparing Gunn to Mcdermott it''s clear that Mcdermott would understand the game far better from a players point of view.
Reasonable logic says that a goalkeeper only has a slight better understanding than someone who watches the game from the stands.

[/quote]

I''m doubtful that you have played the game. I dont think it is clear McDermott would have a better understanding, and is merely an assumption masked by reasonable logic, but hey I''m not going to argue with you over it, I see where you''re coming from. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In my opinion playing in goal is nowhere near playing outfield. You have a completely different set of skills to master and your positioning is totally different. All in all the only real interaction you would have with outfield players is by standing between the sticks watching. You could argue that being involved with the game gives more experience but it''s still not first hand experience. I''m not saying you have to play the game to be a good manager. We know this isn''t the case. But when your comparing Gunn to Mcdermott it''s clear that Mcdermott would understand the game far better from a players point of view.
Reasonable logic says that a goalkeeper only has a slight better understanding than someone who watches the game from the stands.

[/quote]

I''m doubtful that you have played the game. I dont think it is clear McDermott would have a better understanding, and is merely an assumption masked by reasonable logic, but hey I''m not going to argue with you over it, I see where you''re coming from. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]