Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We DO have striking options...

...so why doesn''t worthy want to give them a go?

Paul McVeigh is a striker

David Bentley is a striker

Ryan Jarvis is a striker

Ian Henderson is a striker

Ok so i''m not sure i''d neccessarily put hendo in there (although any of the above would have done better than Svensson did yesterday) but there are options. WLY has always been at his best up front and Paul McVeigh at his best is something we need really badly right now. I can''t believe he''s not getting any games. Bentley has a shot on him and Jarvis could be a great foil for McKenzie. Just try something please!

But there is no point in having any strikers until we learn to vreate some chances for them or pass to them.

Sven is always at his best when he gets the ball to his feet - that didnt happen on sat. He is not an ''energy'' play, he has as good a touch as anyone at the club but cant play if he is not delivered the ball to an area he can use it - constantly hoofing it high and long does notplay to his and therefore the teams striking strnegths.

Leon continues to look impressive only because he is an energy player. He chases the long pass (hoof) and refuses to give up those dead balls. I admire him for this and in the first half was the only player who deserved any encouragement at half time. Unfortunately he used up all his energy in 45 mins chasing poor passes and was not the same player in teh second half. Leon too would be twice the player if we learnt to PASS to him rather than relying on his pace to get to balls that are over hit to the wrong place.

Despite that the only real chance we had fell to Svensson who did make Van der saar make a save - over 90 minutes that simply isnt good enough when playing at home and has happened in too many games.

The result on sat was NOT down to the strikers who worked hard but down to the back 8 who were uniformily poor.

OTBC

Shortfab - can you name me 3 city midfielders who have looked better than Jonson?

The midfield have disappointed week in week out and Jonson is included in this. However we still need 4 midfielders and he has easily been amongst the 4 best. He has consistently performed better than Holt, Henderson, Mullers, Safri, my beloved Helveg, Bentley and McVeigh. Jonson has played defensively better than Eddie and contributed more to the team than Fleming. The only midfield better is Francis - and to me that really sums up where our problems lie. We have a midfield where the second best player is an underwperforming Jonson...

If we are to let Jonson play for another club who will we be left with? He has not been the raging success we had hoped for, but he is nowhere near as bad is being painted.

I have mentioned the slow start Thierry Henry made before becoming a premier superstar, I was reminded by the motormout behind me that Steeno was not exactly populaar when he first joined here too - now look how we treat his memory!

Getting rid of the poor quality players should be our priortiy not getting rid of those that could do a good job for us.

OTBC

Sorry Zipper but I''m with Shortfab on this one, Jonson has been a major disappointment.

IMO the most impressive part of his game has been his defensive play but I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that he was an attacking player, right wing or striker.

Well call me old fashioned, but I tend to expect wingers to beat a defender every now and then, and produce the odd cross into the box and he just doesnt do it. As for being a striker, I know he''s not really been played up there but he has still managed to miss several of the easiest chances we''ve created this season, two or three of which I reckon my Mum could have converted.

Maybe I''m being too impatient but it seems to me that Jonson''s had a pretty fair run out and he simply hasnt delivered. He''s improved a little since the start of the season but nowhere near enough - to be honest I''d rather see Hendo play. If we were going to spend real money (and we did need to spend on that position) then Cooper would have done twice the job, probably at less cost.

I was thinking that just today Creative - what has happened to Kevin Cooper? Surely we could have gone back to get him and for less or the same as what we paid for Jonson. And he knew the lads and we wouldn''t have to wait endlessly for him to "bed in" to the English game.

Anyone know if he''s playing regularly for Wolves this season?

Havent seen any games, but heard several commentaries/reports on the radio - I think he was injured early on but since coming back in has been one of the main reasons why Wolves have started to pick up. Scored some and made more, which is what we saw last season and he did his share of defending.

I cant disagree that Jonson has been a disappointment - however who are the midfielders apart from Francis that have any performed better?   The reason he has impressed defensively is that he is asked to work defensively or get dropped - McVeigh has suffered for that on many occassions.  With that sort of pressure and seemingly little praise for the quality of  attacking play what do the players do to ensure they get a game each week?

They run around a lot and make sure they do a lot of it while defending...

Change the tactics, start the quality players, get more in to their best positions and we may just scrape a second season... but worthy has to change.

OTBC