Sign in to follow this  
Bird Table

Worst footie injury ever?

Did anyone else see this in The Fiver on The Guardian''s football web-site today? Quite amusing in a very sick sort of way.

"Some hoped matters would improve yesterday, when Servette travelled to play the only team beneath them in the league: Schafthausen. Even the most pessimistic Genevan could not have foreseen the sheer grotesqueness of what was to unfold. No, Servette weren''t beaten. In fact, they registered a roistering 4-1 win. Yet the mood after the game was funereal. "Some players were crying in the dressing room," said a doleful Servette manager Adrian Ursea. "What happened to Paulo is terribly shocking." Paulo Diogo, you see, is a popular Servette midfielder who was so ecstatic about setting up his side''s third goal that he jumped up onto the fence surrounding the pitch. As he got back down, Diogo caught his wedding ring on a metal barrier ... and off came his finger. As he shrieked in pain, stewards rushed to retrieve the fallen digit and pack it in ice in the hope that doctors could reattach it. They couldn''t. "All we can do is dedicate this win to Paulo," whispered a grieving Karembeu. Still, at least the ref handled the situation sensitively, right? He rushed over to Diogo and showed him a yellow card for an excessive celebration."

Man alive!

i think that david buust, who played for coventry when his leg snapped it came out of his leg i remember schmeichel running away and puking up, that to me is the worst, probably was a rhetoric question but never mind

Yep... the ref (hand)led it really well, really put his "finger" on the culprit, and "waved" the yellow card in his face, just to "rub" it in... Ofcourse the ref was totally oblivious to what was really going on as he was too busy jotting down "digits" in his little black book, to minute the occasion. Had the ref been a caring sort of bloke, he could have "wrapped" up the situation himself and in a moments pause for thought, sewn the whole deal up with a swift ring for a medic!!

Truly remarkable, the wonders of football will never cease to amaze me...

I''ve heard of a basketball player who did the same thing, catching his ring on the hook on the basket, and while his finger came off so did the tendon running through his hand and forearm!

[quote]i think that david buust, who played for coventry when his leg snapped it came out of his leg i remember schmeichel running away and puking up, that to me is the worst, probably was a rhetoric questio...[/quote]

That was definitely the worst, but Cissé''s injury a few weeks ago is pretty disgusting when you watch it in slow motion and the leg bends into an unimaginable position

No, he knocked him out and broke his jaw and took some teeth out.

The best (or worst) thing is, the ref gave a goal kick cos neither of them touched the ball!!!

By far the worst one I''ve ever heard of was on Danny Baker''s show on ''5 live'' some years ago.

The tale was of a young lad who was pressed into helping take the nets down at the end of a game, and trying to show willing, climbed up on the crossbar to release the net from the line of small, but incredibly sharp hooks. It had been raining, the paint on the bar was wet and slippery, and whilst the poor individual was inching himself along the crossbar, gravity took over, he spun around the bar, and fell screming to the ground.

When his team mates and coach investigated as to why he was still screaming long after his fall to earth, they discovered to their horror that the poor little bugger had ''left'' one of his testicles and a sizeable portion of scrotum attatched to the net hook!! Cue copious supplies of projectile vomitting from all concerned! 

I know it''s maybe an old story, but it still rates as one of the worst football related injuries!